DCS VR - SteamVR has encountered a critical error

Welcome!

I don’t think I’ve ever done it the way you describe - all I’ve ever used is the DCS icon double-click thing. Confounded devices these things are! It’s a barrier to entry for all but the highly determined quite often.

Will give this a go and report back. Without DX11 mode forced on in the WMR settings I’m still getting reprojection crashes with the new 3080 Ti just in DCS, so it’s definitely software (hardware was unlikely, but good to know anyway)

I just tried it, and it seems to work. I just turned back WMR to all defaults (DX 11 Force mode off, use Optimization etc) and reprojection now seems to work without a crash, at least the 10 mins I tried it.

You star @McNasty_UK! Thanks for posting that. :star:

Just to recap, start DCS World from within the WMR Portal home (Cliff house etc), by using the Desktop widget and clicking the icon from there, or set up a tile that’s remembered.

1 Like

Need to look into that. Never done that…

Edit. Wait, so start it in WMR Cliff House…? Not in Steam?
Confused…

Yep. Pop on WMR headset. See Cliff House (I changed my to the Loft, as they used a picture of the Vancouver mountains as the world sphere, so I liked that) and then either press the Windows button on your controller or if you don’t have those around then just press the keyboard Win key and the blue ‘shortcuts’ window appears. Use the mouse to find the ‘Desktop’ entry and click that. You now have a big desktop widget in your house. Use the mouse to click into it (drag it closer, resize it if you like) and now find your desktop DCS icon you’d usually use on the Desktop within this VR widget view. Double click it to start DCS.

SteamVR will start up, you’ll see rushing white dots, and now everything should be ok. You might need to reset your WMR settings if you’ve turned anything off. You can press the hamburger (three lines) on a controller to do that, and find WMR in the SteamVR dash.

I guess having WMR initialized properly before DCS starts up via SteamVR is the key thing to stop reprojection from crashing perhaps?

1 Like

I get the error from there as well.
The only thing that fixed it for me was increasing pagefile allowance.

1 Like

this would negate any process permissions issues between the 2 programs.

Since DCS.exe process was initiated by Steam Process, it inherits the properties of Steam’s Process.
Where as Launching DCS.exe directly initiates with the settings set by the user or program itself.

So if the issue was a Memory/Access/Permissions issue between the 2 applications. launching from Steam UI would remove any Access issues between the processes.

What do you have your page file set to @Yassy? Plus what cpu/ram/GPU do you use?

1 Like

Just seems to me that @McNasty_UK is starting DCS from SteamVR, not the WMR portal Cliff House…?

Have you tried it?

No. Haven’t had time.
But what does he mean by ”Connecting to DCS via the SteamVR icon”?
Should I start SteamVR from WMR Portal and then start DCS from there as well?

It worked for me doing exactly this. Who knows if it would help anyone else, is there a way to find out?

You could free up the 2 mins to try it by not replying that you don’t think it would work if you tried it. :slight_smile:

Since 2min breaks is about all I can get these days, here are another couple of minutes :slight_smile:

In all fairness, @fearlessfrog, I’ve never said I didn’t think it would work…

I just found it a bit confusing, since SteamVR was mixed up in the initial instructions from @McNasty_UK. And then @SkateZilla started writing about DCS.exe being initiated by SteamVR and since you also wrote that…

…it made me think I needed to start SteamVR from WMR portal and then somehow start DCS from within SteamVR. I normally never start DCS via SteamVR.

I just didn’t understand the instructions.

And just to be clear… Enter WMR Portal go to the VR desktop, start DCS and let SteamVR autostart…? Or should I start SteamVR manually, from within the WMR Portal VR desktop?

Yep, those exact steps worked for me, in that I can now use reprojection / Motion Smoothing without triggering the SteamVR crash with DCS. I only played for 20 mins, so it might not be a true fix but I’ll report back if it crashes again. Ironically, like @chipwich said, I think I prefer it off anyway, so this is all a bit moot. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Managed to try it now.
No crashes or blackouts. But then again, I haven’t had any problems since I uninstalled that Open Hardware Monitor… I had a couple of crashes after I installed that.
Motion Smoothing on. Not forcing DX11 mode.

2 Likes

You could science it, and with those settings that just worked now just try starting DCS from the desktop, with neither WMR or SteamVR running? If it crashes then that’s data. :man_scientist:

Do you mean with the hardware monitor installed and running?
Because since I uninstalled that I haven’t had any issues.

Since my first encounters with these VR crashes, I reinstalled Windows and everything else. I then carefully installed everything, one app at a time, testing DCS in between. It wasn’t until I installed the Open Hardware Monitor that I got into trouble again. I uninstalled it again and everything worked just fine.
Now, I haven’t tried installing the hardware monitor again, which I really should do to either confirm or rule it out.

Edit. Do you have a hardware monitor running?

For me it was crashing, so I wanted to try this. For you I didn’t realize it wasn’t crashing, so you trying it was really only for an outcome that would be worse. :slight_smile:

I don’t have hardware monitors running. I can recreate (DCS/with reprojection on, with Force DX11 off) crashing launching from desktop but not crashing launching it from within WMR Portal via the VR desktop widget.

Well, I probably made it sound like I’m completely sure everything is ok. I’m not. I haven’t had much spare time for flightsimming, lately, so I don’t know for certain.
I’ll continue to start DCS via the WMR desktop from now on, to see if it happens again.

1 Like

@fearlessfrog it was set at 8GB due to the misconception that using an SSD and having 32GB RAM would prevent the need to have a pagefile.

Full disclosure is that it never caused me issues until DCS VR with the Reverb G2.

Its back to Windows Managed now.
Critical SteamVR errors have stopped.

Specs:
Intel 9700K at 5.0Ghz
32GB RAM
RTX3080ti
Asus Z390 mobo
SB AE-5
Win 10 Pro
4x Samsung SSD

1 Like