DCS VR - SteamVR has encountered a critical error

@SkateZilla I’m not launching via your app and DCS doesn’t crash, when this happens. IL-2 shuts down though.
I’m out of ideas and I will just reinstall everything…

Nuked it from orbit and reinstalled Windows, Drivers, Steam, the whole nine yards…
Then I installed IL-2. Happy to report that Steam VR is behaving as it should, so far.
Let’s hope it stays that way…! :pray:

5 Likes

Got a good hour long mission in Flying Circus, without so much as a hickup…
Will install DCS tomorrow.

3 Likes

:pray:

1 Like

Check your Windows pagefile settings.
I had some pretty weird SteamVR errors and randomblackouts in DCS .
My pagefile was set to 8GB fixed from way way back. It looks like DCS needs more because I’ve put it back to system managed and all my dcs vr woes have flown away.
YMMV, but worth a check.

2 Likes

Tried that too…

going on a limb here,

after SteamVR Crashes,

if you access Windows Event Viewer, Under Application Log, does it log the error and any debug/readout information that can me used to track what caused the crash?

Coincidence? Every user is using a WMR Device.

1 Like

@SkateZilla, I did a complete OS reinstall, and that seems to have fixed the problem…for now. I will have a look in those logs if the problem surfaces again,
About WMR, I think that the problem is associated with the motion smoothing in WMR for Steam VR and the way it interacts with Steam VR. The crashes only occur when motion smoothing is on.
And, it’s not just DCS as I had the same problem in IL-2.
MSFS 2020 worked just great, through all of this. But that’s OpenXR…

1 Like

Goshdarnedit!
I just had two VR blackouts in DCS…
I’ve been very careful with what I’m installing on the PC and I just installed
Open Hardware Monitor to check the temps under load.
I had also installed Simshaker Wings and Simshaker for Aviators, for my bass shakers a few days ago and this didn’t affect VR in any way. After I installed Open HW Monitor I then started Simshaker and got this.

This error also occured when I had blackouts in VR earlier…

WTH is going on…?

I can’t help thinking I did a mistake going with an AMD system… The old Intel system handled the G2 perfectly. The AMD needed a new PCI USB card to run the G2, and later the new G2 cable. The intel system had no blackouts.
Maybe not fair of me to blame AMD, but I have never had this much trouble with any other PC, and I’ve always used Intel based systems.

One of the things that I’ve noticed with my Reverb G2 with WMR and SteamVR via an RTX 3080 (not sure which of these is the critical component), is how sensitive it is to performance settings. So, let’s take DCS for example. For all intents and purposes, I use the VR and High presets. If I load the sim in VR without switching back to the VR preset, it is buggy and does VR blue screen of death often, leading to a lot of head scratching and soul searching. If I load it with the VR preset, life is good.

1 Like

I have an all AMD system now as well. 3800x paired to a 6900xt on an ASROCK x570 motherboard. So far after the new cable mine has been rock solid. However, I have gotten the error you screenshotted several times after DCS updates, or SRS/VAICOM updates and even one time after an epic session of testing a bunch of DCS system settings (chasing the best VR experience). In my case the “export” lua file for DCS had gotten corrupted. Clicking the “DCS repair Export” button under the “Services” tab in the SimShaker for Aviators app has cleared it up for me each time.

Worth a shot at least.

1 Like

I too use Simshaker for aviators. Try repairing the .lua in the settings in simshaker. Are you using the beta, or the release version? Make sure your version of Simshaker sound module matches (beta/release), and that you are not using the auto launch feature, I think it causes a problem.

I manually start both programs then launch DCS. Sometimes (not sure why) I get two dialog boxes when DCS first launches. I close both of them as DCS is firing up and everything works fine; that error shouldn’t be causing your blackouts IMO. Good luck!

USB Power Drop? or PCIe Bus Drop?

Will try. Thanks.

No, it shouldn’t. It’s uust that I had that error consistently the last time I experienced the blackouts too. Maybe it’s an indication of something else being wrong?

Could be, but wouldn’t that cause blackouts when in VR in say OpenXR too? MSFS works just fine. At least it did the last time I had these issues. I haven’t installed MSFS after the OS reinstall.
Seems like this is associated with SteamVR or perhaps WMR for SteamVR. The fact that the blackouts don’t appear when motion smoothing/reprojection is off supports that theory. Never had issues with this on my old Intel PC though.

Uninstalled Open Hardware Monitor and everything is working again…
Coincidence? I should investigate by installing it again, I guess.

Which hardware monitor?

I had one installed a while ago that would trigger the display adapter drivers to reset.

HWInfo seemed fine, Speedfan would cause the same display driver issue.

2 Likes

Open Hardware Monitor.
https://openhardwaremonitor.org/

Interesting… :thinking:

Hardware Monitors in use at the same time as the built in monitoring also would trigger display driver resets, the Health Monitoring Chipsets on most of these GPU’s are designed to only respond to so many requests per/second.

App would send a Request for Info from the Chip, and if it didn’t respond within a threshold it would try to send a reset code to the chip or resend the same Request causing a Request Polling pile up in the chipset, which if the GPU is in use, and the chip is already reporting data to the nVidia/AMD Driver, it will trigger the driver to crash and windows to recover the display driver state.

I was able to trigger it 100% by running any Monitoring Software and opening the AMD Driver Window that shows health status of GPU, then telling the monitoring software to reduce polling time, and which case, after a few minutes the Chip that responds to those requests, will trigger something in the GPU, and all displays will cut off, windows will come back with a GPU Driver recovery bubble.
I can also force this on the Windows 10 Desktop just by increasing polling rate by 10x.

Likely because the AMD App was requesting info at a certain polling rate, and then a separate program was requesting info at certain polling rate, and the chip likely see’s them as double polling and triggers a GPU reset, or the chipset simply can’t handle that many requests, and even less under load temps, and has a meltdown and sends a reset code to GPU.

plus those Hardware Spec chips that control those readouts aren’t exactly under any cooling, so increased polling along with increased heat from the GPU and Ram, would likely overheat that chip.

I basically shut off all the extra crap while gaming, even the 3rd Party MSi Tool, and just use AMD’s Built In Health Monitoring, and their phone app to see it outside the game window.

I would hope nVidia has something similar.

2 Likes

To the point:
Try connecting to DCS via Steam VR icon NOT the DCS icon.

Explanation:

I’ve been flying UH1 DCS for almost a year. Started with the P51 free aircraft.
I assume ( haven’t checked ) I have the latest Steam DCS version.
DCS always ran good for me. No mods added.

Then recently it started randomly tripping out to the Cliff house with error " Steam has a critical error" ( something like that) do you wish to restart ?
My UH1 would carry on flying in a separate window…crashing into the ground increasing my Death ratio : ¬(

So I took a look at what I had changed. Without re-listing all the above I’m finding its back stable as long as you go to the Cliff House first and kick off the game from there.

This could be random fix but DCS seems to work as it used to.
I no longer use the DCS World icon.

I hope this is a fix or at least gives somebody smarter out there a steer to fix.
Cheers,

McNasty_UK
UH1 Pilot
2 Tours of Nam…Chelt-nam :¬P

4 Likes

Hey there @McNasty_UK, and welcome to Mudspike! :mudspike:

I wonder if this works with the stand alone DCS install (not bought via Steam)?