DCS World 1.5 Changelog and Update

Thanks for stopping by Matt. :smiley:

1 Like

Canā€™t wait!

@wagmatt i wont stop clicking the dcs world beta update shortcut since the changlog has been released LOL

Talking with a few people last night while sitting around the teamspeak water cooler and I thought I would pass along a hearty ā€˜Thank youā€™ to all the people working behind the scenes at ED and elsewhere on DCS World 1.5.

I know that the primary focus has been on EDGE, and to the majority of us end-users that means the new rendering engine and DirectX 11, but the release notes above clearly indicate that there is much more to DCS World 1.5 than ā€˜justā€™ a rendering engine update. We tend to miss all of the hard work that goes into a product that is not directly visible to us; all of the flight model tweaks, AI changes, weapons parameters, UI adjustments, mission enhancements, animation tweaks, unit database changes, coordination with 3rd parties, installer/updater repackaging ā€¦ and that list goes on and on ā€¦ tend to be forgotten, or the effort left under appreciated, outside of a quick bullet point.

@wagmatt: please pass on to the team that the entire effort, even the smallest part, is entirely appreciated even if it might not be obvious by reading the forums. :rocket:

ā€¦

And now I will go back to hitting the F5 button on any page where I imagine a release announcement will appear :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Nice post Fridge.

Iā€™m not sure if it is age or just the evolution of my expectations that causes my constant amazement with how good sims are these days. I mean - for Godā€™s sake - I used to sit for HOURS and HOURS and shoot little sprite rockets at dots! DOTS! When I started simming there werenā€™t even any kind of ā€œobjectā€ to the things I used to try to destroy. Dots in Gunship on the C-64 for infantry. Triangles for bombing locations in Strike Eagle:

I honestly think this is part of it. How can I possibly (!) get mad at a sim or sim developer because a missile doesnā€™t have the range that I think it should have? How can I be mad that a canopy bow has a couple more angles to it than Iā€™d like? How can I be mad that the top of some mountains arenā€™t quite rounded off enough?

Would I love every DCS module and DCS World to be perfect (and on time) every time? Sure. But when I look at where we were (bombing dots at 2 FPS) and where we are (having a JTAC shine an IR laser beam on a target while I roll in in my nearly 100% accurate A-10C) - I just canā€™t find any outrage. None. Even an unfinished module like the Hawk and C-101 represents such a great achievement and asset, that I work with what I have. I dunno. I donā€™t get the outrage. I donā€™t get the impatience. I love every bit of what we have thus far and am so thrilled that this sim is not dead in the water as what happened to so many of our favorite sims.

An appropriate summary - NSFW (language)

So yeahā€¦thanks ED for all youā€™ve done, and the future roadmap ahead. I AM amazedā€¦

BeachAV8R

3 Likes

In case you can not see it/hear it outside of America :smile:

Coarse language warning!

I like it :slight_smile:

Thanks Fridge and Beach, I/we appreciate it.

I couldnā€™t agree more Beach, the quality of DCS is simply amazing. For those of us who started playing video games on Atari and ColecoVision game systems, then Pong on the first PC we owned DCS is a dream we dreamed 30 years ago that has come true,

Last night some friends and I took off in a two element flight of F-15Cā€™s in formation, tracked down a KC-135 tanker so one of the guys could attempt an in-flight refueling. We tracked him down with radar and using voice comms, things we could only have dreamed of all those years ago. As I watched our flight I couldnā€™t help but smile at what we were doing and how real it felt. So seeing your post compelled me to post my feelings and to echo your praise of an amazing simulator.

So thank you Wags and your team for making a teenagers dream come true, there are some of us out here who truly appreciate the miracles you guys produce. Cheers!!

4 Likes

Great to have a simulation oriented website with great
content and a forum that is not a Jerry Springer episode. You guys are really
lucky to have a site like this.

6 Likes

Nice post @Grumbles - Recently I was asked to pen an article for the magazine about my favorite flight sim or flight sim add on of all time. What I thought initially was a straightforward assignment turned into a couple weeks of agonizing over sims old and new. In the end - I had to go to my favorite of all time - the Ka-50 in DCS World. Nothing is so fantastic and gives such a feeling of accomplishment. Yeahā€¦Falcon, Janeā€™s, and EECH all rank way up thereā€¦but I had to pick one. With World 2.0 coming out - the Ka-50 can only get better tooā€¦so it has longevityā€¦

Anyway - I agree with all you said. I too smile when I see some of the situations that DCS World can provide for us when flying online MP. Some of my sessions on the Firehouse and @WreckingCrew HolloPointe are among my favorite sim memoriesā€¦

BeachAV8R

The 1.5.0 build is created and team and testers are now downloading the update for testing. Everyone send happy thoughts that itā€™s a good build! Once we have a good build, it will be open to everyone.

1 Like

Thank you, my friend! Iā€™m still working the World, new missions, new planes! Just did a F-86F against the MiG-21bis mission as a part of a six-mission campaign, commissioned by Toxocara. Iā€™ve gone through a Combined Arms phase, Hawk, the F-86Fā€¦ need to get back to my favorite, the trusty Hog.

I look forward to the new DCS World version, but will wait for the release before running it on Hollo Pointe; as a rule I donā€™t run DCS World Betas on there. Many new Mission Editor features are coming that I certainly look forward to!

Crew

2 Likes

Updater had an updateā€¦thought it was 1.5ā€¦realised it wasnā€™t.
I cried a little.

http://updates.digitalcombatsimulator.com/

http://imgur.com/gallery/7drHiqr

5 Likes

Yep, downloading now. Will take several hours though, with my slow connection.

Begun, the DCS 1.5 download has.

1 Like

Updated in about 2 minutes for me. Nice!

Note: The Steam config startup .exe is wrong, so I had to use the bin/DCS.exe direct. Apart from that, looking very nice:

Uuuuuuuuuuugggggggggh, and here I am stuck at work for another two hours!

At work go another 4 hours or soā€¦ any issues? I read on the ed forums that modules werenā€™t loading?