DCS World 2.1 Update Screens

What’s with all the air show shots? Don’t you guys know there’s a war on?

8 Likes

Who knows what town that is? The answer is [spoiler]KHAAAAAAN! - YouTube

I’m really impressed with how well the sims runs considering the amount of objects in a scene.

looks like the Mirage is grounded for night ops for a while… I’ve noticed a few aircraft do not like the new lighting updates.

5 Likes

Note: If the above post and the first 2/3s of this one seem jaggy, that’s because Anti Aliasing got turned off somehow.

3 Likes

This was surprisingly easy to set up. I thought I’d probably be fiddling with the FOLLOW command to make a nice formation, but it takes just a few clicks, and the editor does most of the work on its own, fantastic!

No matter what I did, the bombers dropped below conning altitude when using the WW2 CARPET BOMB function. A sensible choice though.

Feet dry.

Almost there! Time to show the wares.

Quite some tonnage being dropped.

Caen explodes and burns, and so does my GPU :slight_smile: but the FPS remain double digit.

Caen burning some time after the attack.

2 Likes

:grin: :grin:

12 Likes

So gang, there are some really beautiful screenies there, but so many posts about really lousy performance. Is it pot luck that some have good fps and others are really struggling to run it ?

PS still only 90% complete

I’m also encountering the FPS problem to run everything on high settings at the same time. By setting MSAA to the maximum my frames drop lower than 25 FPS over Las Vegas.

You have to consider it’s the first day that we are able to fly around with the new light effects. They are WIP of course but with the help of the community ED can find adjustments to improve it.

1 Like

It runs decent for me, and my hardware is fairly old, an R9 290 with an FX8350, although that’s watercooled, decently overclocked to about 4.4GHz and its virtual cores disabled, since most sims and games aren’t even multithreaded anyway. So running 4 threads on 4 physical cores. IIRC DCS only uses two threads, one for sound, and the other for everything else.

Normandy has an incredible amount of objects (it’s gonna be fun checking how that looks with the F/A-18’s ground radar, in fact I’m going to install the Viggen on the open alpha right now) so if you do not select flat shadows only for terrain objects I think it’s near impossible to get decent FPS.

PBR is a bit of a hit and miss in terms of FPS. Just looking at a single bomber above an empty ocean and the FPS seems capped at 40, where 60 are usually expected. But the FPS stay relatively decent, even if there’s action going on, and some of the time its actually higher than without PBR. HDR seems to have received some big optimization upgrades, I used to only had it running when I wanted to take screenshots, but it’s actually okay for me to play with it constantly. I haven’t tested DoF, as not only made it run me like crap in the past, I don’t even really like how it looks, in pretty much any game, for that matter. I have mirrors, traffic, smoke chimneys and all that jazz turned off.

It’s a known thing that the first few times you start the sim, loading times are excessively long, something to do with the shaders compiling I heard, whatever that may mean. The first 2 or 3 times I started up Normandy, the loading time was about 15 to 20 minutes. Now, it loads just as fast as 1.5. Maybe even slightly faster.

I usually get FPS in the high 30 range, rarely anything below 25. I can imagine if you’d like to fly in VR and have atleast 45 constantly, you may not like this to much.

1 Like

I have only tried the NTTR in 2.1 (it finally finished downloading lat last night)…

In VR - WOW! The new lighting effects look stunning. The terrain looks a lot richer and less flat. With ASW I am still getting a very fluid experience.

Also, it might be my imagination, but the instrumentation looks a little sharper now as well.

I’m running with a GTX1080, i7700K and 16Gb Ram if that info is usesful. Normandy downloaded overnight so I will report back when I have had a chance to test it.

3 Likes

Have you guys noticed the DOF change in the F2 view?

I also noticed this. In fact, everything seems slightly sharper and easier to read.

1 Like

I just took a quick flight in the UH1. Everything seemed ok, but I was the only asset on the map. Caen is quite impressive.

@chipwich, it seems a little flatter in the F2 view, is that your perception as well?

Previously, the F2 view had a narrow depth of field, as in the aircraft would be sharp, but objects in the distance blurred. I tend to use presets, so it’s possible (likely) that I missed a setting. To sharpen everything, I had to switch to CTRL-F11. Now the F2 view has a deeper DOF, and even distant objects are sharp. Then again, it might have been the cheap vodka :slight_smile:

Ah, well that is probably why I thought it looked flatter then.

4 Likes

5 Likes

Still downloading and all… now- I don’t want to sound vain but, could anyone try out my textures with the new lighting?
Since I modified many Reflection layers I’m quite apprehensive about them.

Thanks in advance.

1 Like