DCS World 2.X Thoughts & Impressions

Even though official advice, I think on Nvidia, using a Oculus Rift through driver, the MSAA override is ignored regardless. Worth a separate test for sure. It would explain people getting nicer framerates though :slight_smile:

The FXAA setting (or MFAA on Nvidia) might be a good compromise for now though.

I also noticed here that MSAA decreases my frame rate while I was adjusting from low to high settings. Disabling or lowering it increases FPS.

Iā€™m having DCS crashes when exiting DCS or when exiting missionsā€¦
I also canā€™t make fast missions in Normandy. Instant missions works though.
I have tried repairing the install and updated the Nvidia Geforce drivers.

Thinking of trying a reinstall of DCS.

I have intermittent crashes on exiting randomly too. I think a reinstal is quite extreme. Do you use the utility by Skatezilla? It has a clean and repair function.
I am sure you know of it butā€¦The DCS Updater GUI Utility - DCS Mods - ED Forums

Also have you got latest graphics drivers

What should I delete to make sure everything is fresh and working right? I mean folders and repair stuffā€¦

thanks!!

Personally I would not interfere with any folders unless there was an official announcement on the ED forums. If you want to be extreme then rename your Users/saved games /DCS world OpenAlpha/ Config and or missions folder then run a repair and the above folders will be remade. This will mean remapping all your inputs and controls again or dragging the individual input folders for a particular aircraft. Hope that makes sense :slight_smile: .

thanks!! I will wait then :slight_smile:

I did a repair and updated the gfx drivers. Didnā€™t do a clean as I donā€™t have any other files in the installā€¦
Do the fast mission editior work with Normandy at your end?

Nope just tried, I have a theory though that a quick mission generator for Normandy will use the WWII stuff and not jets and choppers etc, and is still WIP I may be wrong though :dizzy_face:

FACEPLANT!!! Here we go againā€¦

Just going to have to be patient guys. Personally I donā€™t see the point of going in and making all these settings changes and graphics profiles just for the game to run, knowing full well they will change again soon. Easiest fix is to just turn off msaa in the game and then either deal with some Jaggies, or increase your resolution. And even if you do all of that to get a good fps, the lighting issues are still the biggest deal breaker right now IMO. 80 fps wont help you when you canā€™t read the hud or see out the glass.

1 Like

Me too - https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=188116

The trick is just do longer missions :slight_smile:

I had a peek at the crashdump and I think it could be Nvidia driver related. The working set of the open alpha DCS.exe also grows like a hungry kid in a bagel factory in terms of memory, so probably a leak somewhere. Iā€™m just happy I get to fly the mission first. :frog:

1 Like

I tried cleaning out the nvidia drivers and reinstalled them. Encountered a problem with VC++ so I reinstalled that as well. Still crashes when exiting the mission.
Butā€¦ When I turned off Deferred Shading, the crashes stopped.

1 Like

Ooh, Iā€™ll try that.

But I like Deferred Shading! :slight_smile:

EDIT: Confirmed. Nice! Iā€™ll add that to the bug report at ED.

I think when you turn deferred shading off, youā€™re basically back to the 2.0.5 renderer, at least from the looks of it. Stands to reason that that oneā€™s more stable.

1 Like

Me too! :sunny:

My bugreport is just below yours :wink:
I go by the name ā€œGoblinā€ over there.

1 Like

This morning my unsatisfiyng internet finally managed to download all of the 2.1 goodies.
Letā€™s see if I can get some stick timeā€¦
Iā€™m still stuck with lotsa stuff to do- but itā€™s getting increasingly hard to resist.

1 Like

2 Likes

Well, okā€¦ Iā€™m fully blown away.
Had a fast and dirty test with Nevada and Normandy and I canā€™t believe my eyes.

#Normandy
Yes- thereā€™s stuttering, but otherwise Iā€™m running it at full maxed out detail and itā€™s amazing! :open_mouth:
CPU temps are areound 44Ā°~47Ā° and motherboard marginally lower that that.
I categorically refused to check GFX Card temps. :stuck_out_tongue:

One small issue was with the P-51 Mustang skin.
It looks like the color texture is fine but the Reflection is from the wrong file?
Like, thereā€™s detailing that doesnā€™t match the rest of the skinā€¦

Forgot to post a screengrab. Will do tonight.
Anyone else had this? Only for the Mustang so far.

#Nevada
Well, Iā€™m done. All at Max details and itā€™s buttery smooth. Over 60FPS with 45 over the most complex geometries.
Me Iā€™m a happy camper!
If anything it all looks tooā€¦ bright?
Dunno, I was so amazed I didnā€™t really care.

:smiley:
This is all so amazing.

7 Likes

It sure is stunning. Visually at least.
Now we only have to wait for the rest.

2 Likes