DCS World 2.X Thoughts & Impressions

It is different than before, that’s for sure. I think if you have Deferred Shading on then something like HDR would not apply, as in I think that setting is ignored. I love the new lighting effects, and I too ‘lose the HUD’ when the background is bright. I am not sure if that’s realistic or not, but am growing used to it, or rather, keep fiddling with my gamma setting in-game. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words :slight_smile:
I had a look at this with an ED team member this morning and replied to the forum thread.
resave the mission in the editor and let me know if you see a different result.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m a bit used to it but really want a more readable HUD for obvious reasons. Still, it’s a minor issue and I’m really enjoying the sim to the point where I started a flight in 1.5 but immediately aborted and came back to 2.1. Hopefully, ED will come up with a graphic tweak for the HUD (realistic or not). Until then, more sightseeing for me. :slight_smile:

–T

1 Like

Thanks for following up on that.

It’s possibly not really a bug now, but more a question (to those that know stuff here as well), but when I hook the TAD JTAC datalinked target it seems to get the elevation wrong, as in on NTTR the target coordinates are about 3000 feet above the target in the air. I thought the target was meant to be reconciled at ground level, but I don’t think this is working in NTTR. This means I have to TGP down underneath the hooked SPI, which is kinda odd. I think that’s either new or me doing something wrong still :slight_smile:

I make sure I hit ‘None’ on the TAD, so after accepting the target ‘red triangle’ so I’m not accidentally hooking the nearby waypoint (which is 6000ft plus up) and turning that into a SPI.

If my understanding is correct I’ll double check it a few times and raise a separate bug to keep the reports clean.

I like that the 5’‘/38 and 5’'/25 naval guns on the Samuel chase are now active, once ED figures out fusing for them and the 88’s I imagine attacking will be quite the cinematic affair.

EDIT: Also, am I greedy for wanting all the existing ships in game to engage air contacts with their main cannons when applicable?

2 Likes

Hm… Didn’t fix the crash issue for me. :frowning:
Could you post your settings @fearlessfrog?
Do you have Tacview installed?

Disregard!
I tried the VR preset, and that stopped the crashes…
There must be a combo of settings causing the crashes…

1 Like

I don’t have tacview, but I also can make it crash, but not consistently like before. It seems to happen after a longer mission now, and only with Deferred Shading on. The crashdump is the same as before, so I just kept my previous msg at ED open.

Interesting I will have to try that :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do that, and let me know how it works out.

Interesting screenshots in the newsletter today. I do like the look of the new Caucasus trees. Am I the only person who doesn’t like the new grass?

I think it’s too wishy-washy in appearance and far too long. I think if it was shorter, it would look far better, with no other changes made.

I didn’t see anything about the collidability of the tree models (is that a real word? Well, it is now!) either. I do hope they can do that - it would be such a boost to realism in tree-top level heli-ops.

1 Like

Well what do you know it works apparently :smiley:
AT first it was fine but it seems a memory leak crashed my system twice but 3rd run worked without crashes. Funny thing the VR preset in 1.5 was pants but the 2.1 version appears to look better than my previously painstakingly adjusted settings :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I KNOW!
Suddenly I can have shadows, in VR…! When did that happen? :wink:

1 Like

This looks fun:

Just tried 2.1 for the first time in 2 months. MSAA still causes a massive performance drop and with it turned off, the game looks awful in VR. Overall performance and looks is still worse for me than with 2.0. Also the game keeps crashing upon leaving a mission. Very disappointing, DCS remains grounded for me.

I went back to 1.5.7 to see what’s new. It’s a lot smoother than 2.1? Is and a lot prettier than I remembered

Doing some carrier ops :smiley:

1 Like

It’s the deferred shading. If you turn it off, and then turn HDR on, it goes back to basically 2.0 performance wise. It also fixes some of the weird lighting issues, but it will introduce some other bugs. 2.1 is in need of quite a bit of attention.

Yes - although I had a very enjoyable time skimming the Ka-50 around the trees in VR, I have now switched 2.1 to monitor only.
I think the improvement to the trees in 1.5 is good. I’m quite happy to use 1.5 and wait for 2.1 to be sorted. Might even leave it until 2.5

I think a group of 2-6 pilots could have a lot of fun just setting one player as a server and everybody get together and start bagging trains. The first to 10 wins!

I propose a variation.
Two teams with a train each.

Every team needs to destroy the other team’s train while avoiding the destruciton of their own.
Both team starts with Machine guns rounds only (or the whole internal guns in case of planes with MGs/Cannon).
For each enemy plane shot down the other team gain one (1) load of either rockets or bombs.

In case a train reaches the enemy team’s railstation it explodes obliterating it and thus bringing Victory and Glory.

2 Likes