DCS World 2.X Thoughts & Impressions

Has anybody tried 2.1.1 yet? Would be interesting if AA is fixed. Probably not though, since it is not mentioned in the patch.

Haven’t tried it it, but on the feature list, Shadows on aircraft body with very noticeable aliasing corrected.

Hmm, that sounds a bit too specific to me, but yeah, could be.

Just tried, MSAA on 2x with 2x AF has no noticeable impact on FPS. 8xMSAA is a killer yet to try the AF higher, too busy playing with the Gamma slider. In NTTR 1.5 seems good for me. Furthur testing will commence later :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Updating to 2.1.1 now - about 4.7GB of updates with everything (pretty much) except the Normandy map, i.e. so just NTTR.

Hope it fixes the ‘Crashes on VR exit’ as it made fiddling with missions hard, but I didn’t see it acknowledge in the patch notes or in the ED thread. We’ll see later. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just as a by-the-by and slightly OT - when I flew that mission in 1.5, it was the smoothest it’s been for a long time (in VR)

F-111 confirmed?..xD

3 Likes

Oh no, @Bogusheadbox

2 Likes

:jenneke: ?

It looks all fixed up. Nice! I couldn’t get it to crash under VR.

I am using a gamma slider (which you can access via options while sat in the cockpit, so very handy) of a setting of ‘1.5’ (this is with Deferred Shading all switched back on now). I changed a lot of my NTTR missions to ‘winter 4pm’, so it’s actually a bit dark now. The slider seems to work well, and given that it’s a personal taste thing probably a good idea to make it user configurable like that.

Only thing I think is wrong NTTR-wise for me is that I couldn’t get a quick and easy JTAC tasking to work with a data link. I had the properly enabled HMMWV guy all set up, and ol Axeman gives me a good 9-line, but I never get anything after ‘Ready to receive data’ is called out. On a similar DCS 1.5 mission I have no trouble getting a ‘Wilco’ and a red triangle on the TAD, on NTTR it never seems to work. Is it just me doing something wrong or a known bug? @near_blind :wink:

a10-jtac.miz (9.0 KB)

2 Likes

@Fridge?

1 Like

Wha? Where am i? Who are you people? What is everyone doing in my basement?

Asking about the JTAC?

2 Likes

Great news! I won’t be able to download until the weekend.

1 Like

I may even accept that russian clone

2 Likes

You mean the improved version?

I took a look at the mission and I couldn’t see anything that would prevent it 
 assuming the JTAC can send a datalink since I have not tried that for a looong time. For laser and such the lasing unit needs to be pretty close (that was my experience when I was trying to get lasing to work with the Mirage)

1 Like

Thanks - yeah, I’m too lazy to type in the manual coord into the CDU and love to hook that wee TAD symbol instead, but on NTTR never any joy with getting that to work for the longest time now.

I’ve reported it as a possible issue on ED forums and included that mission, but not 100% sure I just didn’t screw it up. If I do more or less the exact same mission in DCS 1.5 then it does seem to work ok, so hopefully some 2.1.1 shenanigans that is recreatable. Either that or @bignewy will already know about it.

I will take a look at it today, thanks for the info :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m struggling a bit with the improvements (changes) in 2.1. My biggest issue is readability of the HUD in the F-15 (only jet I’ve flown since the update). My HUD display becomes nearly invisible at certain angles on the horizon. I’ve adjusted the gamma lower but the result is still the same. I’ve also played around with HDR and other graphic settings. I can read the HUD, clearly on the ground, in clear blue skies, but not on the horizon or below. I’ll post a screenshot once I figure out how.

I read somewhere about being able to change the HUD color, intensity, etc. but I don’t want to fool with any config. values. The issue is not a deal breaker but it adds some challenges to my flying. Any ideas what’s up?

That said, I like the many of the improvements I’m seeing in the sim. Once I ignored the HUD and started-sight seeing. I caught myself saying “WOW” on several occasions.

–T

Thank you! (plus a thanks for all the volunteer work you do on DCS, not sure you get enough kudos for that, plus Sith + Skate etc).

3 Likes