Departing San Diego...

Yeah. I know. Shoes. Too many shoes.

Given my awesome experience with how great Key West looked earlier today, I had to go ahead and bite on the Icarus San Diego (KSAN)…

Nice bit of pavement at 9,041’ but with a significant displaced threshold to runway 27 leaving 7,591’ landing distance available…

Pushing back in the JAR A320 (yay for auto-start!)…

Well worn, rubber lined taxiways…

Ah…they knew to roll the fire trucks early…must have been a NOTAM that I’d be flying today…

I know nothing about the Airbus…hopefully most of the checklist is done…

Into position we go…I did not turn on X-Life, which probably would have added some traffic…

Off we go…!

SAN-15

And they were never heard from again…dun-dun-dun…

Note - the immediate area of the airport is part of the airport package…but beyond that…that is all Forkboy Orthos…

3 Likes

STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHP

1 Like

Did they have the monkeys painted on the parking deck?

Very nice. Those second to last two shots show you flying almost over my old neighborhood. Looks like they’re showing the fairly recent redesign of Terminal 2 and the rerouting of the roads back onto Harbor Drive. We’ll need some shots next of your approach into KSAN, over downtown and Little Italy- that’s the most fun part of flying into San Diego. :wink:

1 Like

Is the MCRD modeled? Watching jets come and go during PT was a serious mind F.

1 Like

In one of the shots you can see the tan buildings with red roofs that make up NTC, so probably?

four1

3 Likes

I’ve read about the big parking deck…is this it?

1 Like

What a world we live in where it only takes 60 seconds to find something using Google Maps…

1 Like

MisterX6 version is pretty good. And free.

2 Likes

Found em…yep, they are there…

1 Like

I think so…

2 Likes

If I remember right, that mural used to be an underwater scene.

Looks like it’s missing some things from the Maritime Museum - north of the Midway (Nimitz there) should be the Surprise from Master and Commander, and the Star of India Clipper.

Is the Coast Guard Air Base across the street functional?

Appears to have a helipad and stuff…

Oh…I know what I’m doing now…! LOL…

PADDLES…UP ON DECK…!!!

Didn’t have a turf field when I was there, but if you look on google earth, you can see where the PT field is literally right next to the runway. The O course is out there as well. Good times. Well not really.

2 Likes

That’s actually the USS Midway museum- the carriers in service will be parked across the harbor at the two berths directly across at NAS North Island.

Sidenote, if you’re looking for challenges later: the Red Bull Air Races have happened over the harbor there a few times.

Just saying.

:wink:

2 Likes

Here we go. No tailhook…but I thought I remember that just pushing the command would make anything actually grab the deck…

Very inconvenient skyline I’d say…

Shooting the gap…

Not looking horrible…

Prang. Bounce. No wire.

Came back around a couple more times but my theory on the no-tailhook but still worky no worky…

3 Likes

Very impressive scenery, and from the looks of it, quite up to date too. The GA FBO (Signature) shows the new building and ramp space. Oh, and approaching the runway over that parking lot is a trip. You feel like you could literally reach out and touch the cars park on the roof. I have the MisterX scenery for KSAN, but this looks considerably better. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm where’s my wallet? :wink:

btw, how does downtown look? I’m curious about how far out from the airport they modeled…