It is amazing to me how far 3D printing has come in just the last 5 years.
And my printer is more or less considered entry level, these days.
Made some changes to the design and added a “key” for the clip.
This is the highest resolution, .08mm.
Wow, those came out looking really nice.
Excellent work. I’d love to have even a portion of your talent for this stuff mate
Instead of chopping off the cables, like I did last time, and risk not being able to solder them back toghether again, I made a housing for the cable to hide in… Well, it may not be the prettiest thing ever seen on a VR headset, but it’s better than lose cables hanging around. I also made small stops so the headset speakers won’t slide off.
The little knob on the back is just to keep the cables hanging on my back instead of my left shoulder.
“If it’s ugly but it work… it’s not ugly. Or maybe it’s ugly but still… it works so, it’s ok.”
Great work! Would you consider sharing this design? I actually picked up the HD100’s today with the intention of designing a mount myself to use them in my rift and you have already done it!
And welcome to Mudspike, @elnino!
I’ll upload the files to my dropbox and get back here with a link.
Excellent! Thank you so much.
I included the coil housing for the cable and the end stops for the headset rails. The coil housing is a rather tight fit and you need to drill holes for the cable. I could update it to perhaps make it easier to use. The stops must be glued to the rail.
The clips holding the speakers may need some filling. I added some soft side velcro to mine, so they can slide on the Rift S halo, but not move by accident.
Let me know if I can assist in any way.
Thanks for that - Giving it a shot on the printer now.
Out of curiosity, what did you use to slice it? Simplify3D is having all sorts of issues generating supports for this shape…
I have a Flash Forge Finder 2 and used the slicer software that came with it.
It created a lot of supports inside the channel of the headset rail, that needed cleening out. Just have a look at the pics in a post above.
I had to scrape the channels with a needle file.
I’ve spent a few hours tweaking my slicing settings and I think I am finally on the home stretch. I had a heap of issues with bed adhesion at 0.1mm which i have never printed at.
A couple of changes I made were setting the first 2 layers about 20 deg higher extruder temp and also generating a 1 layer raft for the supports because they would just not stick to the bed.
I also found a setting that forced the base support material to be wider than the part that I added a 2mm to, otherwise it was trying to print the intermediate support in mid air…
I printed mine at 0.08mm resolution. The software did its auto support thing and added a raft. It worked well enough, but there was some cleaning up after…
Got there in the end. Worked out ok. I was ok with voiding the warranty on the earphones so i just cut/shortened/joined the cables for a tidy(ish) setup. The sound is so much better!
Good job there, @elnino!
I was afraid to cut the chord because of the trouble I had with the Koss headset chord. That chord was really hard to solder because extremely thin wires that were coated and some plastic fluff material.