Double vision on looking left and right

I wonder if anybody has any thoughts, suggestions or solutions to my problem.
I’m running a Reverb G2 V2, using openxr for DCS and I’m getting a constant 50-60 FPS, with no spikes on the CPU according to openxr tools.

The game is smooth as silk, with the sense of speed at low level breathtaking when barrelling along the Golan Heights at 250ft and 400 knots. That is until I look to the left or right or have a bandit go streaking past. I then get what I can only describe as double vision. With two trees being displayed, overlapping each other or double images of the bandit.

When I get this there is no drop in FPS nor is there a spike on the CPU.
I’m currently running an intel i9 12900ks, 64gb ddr5, 24gb 3090ti and Windows 11.
I also seem to be getting to same problem in IL2 Battle of Stalingrad when ran in Steam VR.

Any ideas how to fix it?

All I can think of is that it is rendering each screen differently when there is a rapid lateral displacement of the image. I guess one way to test would be to have stationary scenery and move your head rapidly and see if the same thing occurs.

I have a Reverb G2 V2 as well and can’t say I have ever noticed this in game, but when the DCS menu loads in VR it does ‘flicker’ with a double image until it has fully loaded. I have just lived with it.

I am not running openxr and was going to suggest maybe that is your culprit… but if you had the same issue with IL2 and Steam VR then I’m not sure?

Update: looks like there are issues with the G2 and 3090ti - RTX 3090Ti no joy with Reverb G2

Same thing with a Lenovo explorer. I think the left and right images are rendered sequentially. So if your closure is like 800 knots, you see double.

I assume it’d be better with faster frame rates (I’m never out of image reprojection or motion smoothing in DCS with my rig), but there might still be an effect - the planes move quick!

@Cop9885, is reprojection enabled? Either way, any FPS below 90 will induce artifacts as frames are either reprojected or dropped. The reason you won’t see it looking forwards is that the view doesn’t change as much, that fast.
Try to lower resolution and settings to get 90 fps and see if it still occurs.

@Cop9885 I had a similar thing where a mismatch in trees rendered between left and right eye was almost sickening at low level.

For me it was solved by going into WMR Portal settings and setting Performance/Quality mode to “Quality”. I had set it to “Performance” before, hoping to get some extra frames but got sick instead. Of course I did many changes at once so it took a while to figure out what caused it.

2 Likes

Right! I remember this was an issue too…

This sounds like a reprojection issue . A different method of dealing with it is to run native hz , which for the G2 can be 60 or 90 hz . With the OP’s system , decreasing graphics settings to reach 90 hz may be possible , tho painful , with OXR .

With my 6800xt and 9700k , i run 60 hz native in my G2 , which allows quite high graphics settings , substantial frametime headroom and no reprojection artifacts . Some notice an objectionable flicker at 60hz , but i do not .

On airfields and the Supercarrier (only) , the transition to 30 hz via motion Smoothing , (not reprojection) is seamless . I wouldn’t be aware i was in 30hz mode , except for FPSVR .

I know that these recommendations can be confusing to some , an anathema to others , and absolutely ludicrous to many who frequent VR forums , but i have been deliriously happy with my graphics and performance balance since implementing them , and wish to emphasize that i am not parroting posts , but relating my own direct experience in DCS and SteamVr .

2 Likes

Sounds interesting. Can you expand on that?

I see you say SteamVR so no OpenXR.
60Hz is set in WMR Portal right?
Where do you set motion smoothing with no reprojection? SteamVR settings?

Perhaps we should do this in a separate topic

1 Like

Now that you got some relevant responses I feel comfortable making this one. :innocent:

Close one eye…

Wheels

3 Likes

I thought my previous post might be TOO expansive :slight_smile:

Yes , yes , and yes . Steam VR , and motion smoothing in SteamVR settings .
I actually have the 60 hz set in two places , WMR and WMR for Steam VR . Prolly not necessary , but it’s working so i leave it alone .

As my pc is used exclusively for DCS , I use only global settings in Steam .

1 Like

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Sorry for my belated reply, but I have an excellent excuse. I was drunk with a group of mates in Poland!

So I’ve done a couple of things since I last posted. uninstalled and reinstalled everything and anything that’s VR related. Which yielded some surprising results.

When I run DCS in open XR the graphics are really crisp and the sim fly’s along. But the issue with the double vision persists with very close range aircraft and the trees. If I put motion reprojection on, I get the wobbly graphic effects, but it does seem to calm down the double vision, but not eliminate it.

If I run it in Steam VR without motion projection, again I get the double vision. But if I run it with the motion projection on, the double vision is completely cured, with no graphic wobbles. The downside is that it doesn’t seem so crisp or quick. Oh and after about twenty minutes, SteamVR starts to slowly grind to a halt. With stutters slowly appearing, increasing to a point that SteamVR has a critical error.

I’m just going to install the latest Nvidia drivers, to see if that cures the critical error in SteamVR. As a couple of posts I have read in the Steam forum seems to suggest the graphic driver may be the culprit.

I’m just trying to wrap my head around the differences in the motion projection between Steam and OpenXR. As I’ve read that they are the same coding, which should give the same results. But clearly that isn’t the case.

3 Likes

Did you try this, @Cop9885 ?

1 Like