Dovetail's Flight Sim World

I thought there were only 3 missions in the pack, but as it turns out there are more. I’m currently uploading 4th one - it’s 15GB so it will take couple of hours. It’s pretty fun hop, IFR flight from Honolulu to Kona. You fly without co-pilot on this one, so you have to manage NAV and COM radios yourself. There are few surprises on the way though.

@BeachAV8R yeah, those rain effects are nice step forward but IMHO they should tweak them a bit. The speed of the rain drops at higher speed is just to slow. I liked what the 777 did with their WIP build of BoX

It looks more realistic but still need some work when it starts to flood the canopy.

Day 4

Day 5

3 Likes

That looks quite alright! I kinda had expected a prettier environment but that’s not bad at all!

1 Like

I noticed the same graphical glitch in your videos @damson that is present also on my system - the trees, on top of hills, against the sky looks too dark. I thought it is just mine not updated graphic card drivers :slight_smile:

Two new versions of PA-18 added to FSW in the last update

2 Likes

Those look great. I’d love to have a Cub like that to tool around with in real life.

They plan to release update which will introduce the dynamic weather (don’t confuse with real-world weather which is to be implemented further down the road) on February 1st.

Also I forgot to post two remaining vids from the Hawaii Mission Pack, so here:

Day 6

Day 7

1 Like

You said it brother. I’m so hot for a taildragger right now. Videos like this do not help one bit. Just need to give the brewery a little more time to get on its feet.

With regard to the FSW Cub, as soon as the last update was released, I jumped in it for a little hop from Big Bear (L35) down to Perris Valley (L65). All was fine until the wheels touched down at Perris, which promptly resulted in a CTD. Doh!

When will they learn that engine noise pitch is not coupled to the throttle on constant speed props?

An update is due today to add dynamic weather.

https://profile.dovetailgames.com/live/flight-sim-world/articles/article/what-is-dynamic-weather

2 Likes

New mission pack came out today - Last Frontier (it’s not free). Apparently bush flying in Alaska. Since we have Cubs with floats and tundra wheels it’s nice to see some missions for them.

If you wondering how it is I’m already on it. First mission completed. There are seven total.

1 Like

Last Frontier mission 2:

Sounds like right down my alley. I’ll check out your two vids tonight when I’m on the road…looking forward to it!

1 Like

I just wish DTG would include a flight plan you can check out before the missions (like in most missions in FSX). Right now I feel like I’m Sam Becket from Quantum Leap figuring where to go at the start of every flight. You can figure out what to do by listening to the dialogue, but at least throwing a map with a destination would be nice.

1 Like

Lost Frontier mission 3:

Last Frontier mission 4

Last Frontier mission 5 - looks like we transistioned to tundra wheels Cub

That looks like fun flying there…I really wish FSW a lot of success. If they could just churn out more of this type of content more quickly, I think they’d be on to something.

I think they should polish the core sim more. It still feels like the old FSX with a new coat of paint. TrueSKY implementation was spot-on and future real world weather will certainly make the sim feel more alive, but they need to improve other aspects as well. Airplanes look just fine with PBR, self shadowing etc. but the land and water are a decade behind. Also known from FSX times the collision detection is a pain, especially with bush flying where you land in close proximity of other objects. You often may crash with something “invisible” and it’s annoying.

I don’t know if DTG has access to Flight 2012 source code, but if they do they shoud have used it. There was already many improvements to terrain shadowing (terrain cast shadows on every object - buildings, trees, even your aircraft exterior and interior), there were no problems with collision detection, you could try to land on building roofs (I know it’s not very realistic but it’s the simulation after all).

Let’s hope they improve their sim. I’m only afraid that their budget may be the limiting factor.

2 Likes

Last Frontier mission 6 - looks like we’re flying in formation now.