Elite Dangerous 2.2 Guardians release date!

Almost complete

Welp, looks like I’ll be retrieving my Type 6 and doing some space truckin’ tonight.

It’s difficult to describe, but it’s all just a little prettier than before. Also it seems quite stable which is unusual for a first release.

A deep space night, rather than a DCS one?

I can do DCS as well, but @Fridge will probably have to lead it. I’ve got to make up hours this week, so I’ll be on later-ish.

You guys should come out to Jacques Station. It’s where all the cool kids are hanging out.

Let me check my diary for the next three weeks…

2 Likes

3 Likes

Did some planetary surface work. It indeed looks better, but there is a performance hit i can notice if i do a donut and watch the horizon spin by.

I have had no need to remap my controls, but i am sure there are more options there that could be mapped (i.e. ai commands to your crew)

i did notice a little bug in my short test, maybe it had something to do with my ship not being able to carry pax, but trying to look at pax missions came up with a no response from server.

But otherwise, it was very stable and actually quicker to start the game, but was a longer pause switching from ship to SRV

2 Likes

I’ll be online today, and probably later tonight as well.

2 Likes

Me too, depending on the missus. But i kinda used most of my computer play time tickets yesterday.

1 Like

Still downloading and now I have to go to work…Damn! But I got the next three days off after tonight!!!

1 Like

Had a quick play. Planets look much (much) better with the way they integrate rocks and stuff on the surface. Performance seemed good in the new ‘Ultra VR’ thingy preset. My Xbox1 controller bindings at work all got reset, so had a terrifically exciting ‘Ah, I have no yaw control working and I’m in a space station going too fast’ initial surprise.

So I guess I should check out a neutron star or try to get a friendly faction to allow me a passenger mission. I notice some of the really long duration ones are worth hundreds of millions already.

Also, to reset my bindings I did the training missions. They’ve been really revamped and look great - nice story behind them this time. Good stuff!

I’ll backup my settings and download either today or tomorrow, but the Indians are playing so…

I’m about to do my first Millennium Falcon Cobra MkIII roleplay with a Passenger module I’ve just fitted. Some farm kid and an old man want passage to Alderaan apparently. Let’s hope they aren’t too hot and a Star Destroyer isn’t waiting for me out the slot… :stars:

3 Likes

how did backing up your settings for your main machine go? I’m noticing a custom.binds and custom.1.8.binds in the folder.

Is it not going to create a custom.2.2.binds which it’ll draw from? What’s the difference between these, do you know? I hate rebinding the 100 controls or whatever, because I also have to fix the voice attack profile when I do it so it takes like an hour or more.

edit: bit the bullet and saved them to a separate folder anyway, downloading now. Now to remember to fix my ui colours again after the update. And make sure my ED market connector still works.

this update is a disaster on my end. Been try for a good while now, keep getting an error. Troubleshooting but it has to start over every time :confused:

edit: worked this time.

4 Likes

Eh, Brennus - I DID miss your screens. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So @Bogusheadbox, @Maclean, @Brennus and I had a great session putting the new update through its paces. Aside from discovering that fighters are really, really, cool (@near_blind, have you got one yet? ;)) we also found that planetary surface ops are made 527% “sexier” with a fighter or ship on over-watch.

We also discovered that we are, probably, the least competent black-ops mercenary outfit in the Verse. However, all the video evidence has gone missing. Convenient eh?

A suggestion for future sessions is that we base ourselves out of @Bogusheadbox’s pad at Skripochka Gateway (AKA “Skripo”) in the Branglal system. It has an excellent selection of outfitting options, is far enough out of the way that other players rarely drop by and, critically, it looks like an orbital red-light district :smiling_imp:.

5 Likes