Elite Dangerous Thread

Ah, logic and Elite are not close neighbors sometimes :slight_smile:

Example: your ship can auto-land and take off from a planet surface, but only if you aren’t sat in it.

2 Likes

LOL so true

edit: it’s also way way faster at it.

I’m still annoyed I can’t have an AI piloting my ship, an AI piloting my fighter, and me in the SRV

1 Like

Just be sure you are not following a large rock. Large rocks give a return on your wavescanner, and if there are a few together can make you think its a proper return. However they do have a slightly different return than an item of interest.

I will try to get a picture tutorial up tonight. However if you can’t wait there is one I have already done “on another website”

1 Like

Hey for the community goals. Are you earning cash each delivery or are you essentially donating until the goal ends and you get the big payout?

I’m guessing the former otherwise people would be going broke on some of these.

CGs make some profit per delivery but aren’t fantastic for that. The payout at the end is really the goal.

There’s a mining CG open currently and I’m tempted by that. Does anyone know if you can wing up to mine? Perhap some offering hired gun pirate protection while others gather? Not sure how the profits split in that case but anyone interested?

1 Like

I’d be up for it but I doubt the contributions to the CG are communal.

, I know the end goal is the big payout, just wanted to make sure you didn’t need to break the bank just to participate

I tried mining last night and it was brutal though I can’t say I knew what I was doing, I wanna make atleast one contribution on this one.

@EinsteinEP did you ever get paid for the last one?

1 Like

what were you using?

Yeah, I don’t know how that works. I guess if there are four or more of us then even in a private group they’ll be AI pirates appearing near a RES site. We would either all be mining (and could do the CG) and be better off in a group, buffaflo style ;), or those in non-mining stuff kit would still be able to claim bounties of protection money of those AI attracted to our mining ‘honey’.

1 Like

Cobra III… I know it’s not the best but it’s what I got/ can afford lol

I did some reading last night and was led astray last night when someone told me that prospector limpets were bad… so this weekend we’ll have to try again.

ya, was more referring to the loadout.

A type 6 if you can afford one is probably a better idea I would think. Prospectors and collectors (especially collectors) are pretty important.

2 Likes

2D Mining laser, 16 tons of cargo space, 6 bin refinery I don’t remember what class and one collector limpet controller

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/4wmgja/general_mining_guide_20/

Looks like a decent guide. Some parts have left me a little confused tbh but it seems pretty good generally.

1 Like

I am a big fan of this guide -

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=169392

For the immediate question - Mining in wings is far more profitable and desirable because each rock is instanced individually for each CMDR. So if I find a rock that is large in Painite I can mine it down so it it is depleted, and you can also mine it for your amount from that rock and then next CMDR can do the same.

Here is an excerpt from the article -

"If you are in a wing of mining ships you can all share the same rock as your wing man.
Thus if i found a 40% painite rock, i could mine it and i`d stay there until my wing mates fly over and can target my rock, I would then move away(as my collectors will grab your ore). And you can then mine my rock and grab the ore, even though its depleted for me. This is due to the “individual rocks per instance” for players mechanic.
_Or you can “Blitz mine”, where you descend onto said rock like a pack of starving vultures, mine the hell out of it and let the collectors do their thing- fast, dirty and efficient _

By forming wings you have more protection from both aggressive npc’s and players, and make more creds for forming a wing when you cash in- trade dividends baby!
You can also just sit next to each other and nuke it from orbit, stripping out the ore as fast as you can, and collect it all together- sharing profits.

Spotters / Prospectors
Some of the more “focused miners” have a spotter, who they pay for(with cargo & trade dividends) and this person simply flies about, firing off prospector limpets until they find a high value rock, then the wing descends and mines that rock.
FYI a decent spotter will be paid about 1Million creds per hour(per wing man) as a basic rule, so the new pilots can get some experience of working in a wing and flying together, while getting well paid for a simple, but essential task. The larger collector ship usually has a lot of limpets, so you can ask them to drop you some as a spotter(for free), which means the wing can stay out longer, and earn more creds.
Spotters can also equip mining lasers to help the wing out- but will need more protection from the AI if they do."

2 Likes

Yup, 800K.

1 Like

And I should note that was for one delivery of 36 units of Geological Equipment, of which I netted maybe 3K in profits.

3 Likes

Why Frontier is above and beyond:

Story time:

Be me
Mine 10 tons of Methanol Mono Hydrate for the community goal.
Go to start jumps to drop it off.
Go to charge FSD, get jumped by NPC Vulture.
Try to run, Federal Security nowhere to be found.
Die… loose ship and cargo…

its a tragic short story lol

3 Likes

Heads up 28 tons will put you in to the 75% category in the Community Goal right now. Tier 5 about to unlock.

1 Like