Elite Dangerous Thread

So @EinsteinEP’s picture of the star from last night made me realize that there’s 3rd person camera mode!

Approaching my delivery point

4 Likes

Wow, great shots!

1 Like

Thanks! This is dangerous cause if there’s one thing I like to do… its take screen shots lol

What a coincidence! I like to LOOK at screenshots!

2 Likes

In 2.3 there will be a tribute to Carrie Fisher

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/317791-Carrie-Fisher-has-very-sadly-passed-away-(?p=4942438#post4942438

2 Likes

Damn this game is beautiful.

4 Likes

3 Likes

Mudspike Server will kill me but you guys know the built in high res screenshot option (Alt-F10)?

4 Likes

Minor note. Only works when in Solo mode.

1 Like

Huh?

Alt+F10 only works in Solo mode (and possibly Private Groups), as it can be used to introduce artificial lag into your client which has been used in the past to mess up PvP combat.

Ah. I remember this being a cheat/trick in IL2:1946 - folks would hold down PrtScrn when they had a bandit on their tail, and be able to break out.

2 Likes

5 Likes

“Folks this is your captain speaking, we are on final approach to Gibson Ring, at this time I’d like to ask you to return your tray tables to their upright position, fasten your seat belts, and please keep your eyes out the right side of the space ship”

:grimacing:

1 Like

I had a frustrating time last night. I got a mission to go to a planet and destroy the generator at a camp.

I flew to the system, landed at the planet near the camp, and drove my SRV over to the camp…and no generator. Couldn’t find it anywhere. There were only two structures at the camp location, a beacon of some sort and a data terminal of some sort. No generator. I even flew around in my ship to try to locate it. It was weird, I could find it in my contacts list and lock it, and it would show me a wire frame view of it in my hud, but I could never get closer to it than 450 meters and it definitely was not in the game world. Had to abandon.

Anyone else have planet mission issues like this?

Can’t say I have, but then again the only and first one I’ve ever done was last night lol

Don’t talk to me about SRVs. I’ve watched all the videos and tutorials and think I’m executing the perfect approach into the middle of a point of interest. Can I find anything? Nope, it’s as if anything or anyone can see me coming and legs it to the next planet.

Oh I tell a lie, I found two skirmishers the other day and in my excitement I stood up to high five my passing wife and nearly ripped my ears off with my headphones! She’s convinced these games will be the death of me.

3 Likes

Locating things within poi spots is a royal pain. I’ve sort of been able to manage it but it takes far longer than it should. The worst is driving 5-10 minutes after a radar ping only for it to just no longer be there.

I never really ventured into SRV driving.

FPS drop is to severe on those planet/moon surfaces.

I can do you a wave scanner tutorial if you like guys. Once you get the basics its pretty easy. Every POI should hold multiple things of interest within. Not uncommon to find 4 items per POI

I love the wave scanner and being on the surface. It also seems that terrain can block your signal sometimes. Boost is your friend.

5 Likes

Sure, a tutorial would be great. I’ve tried following your advice from that session we had (which was super helpful, despite my troubles - note: using the default colours makes it way easier; my custom HUD was totally making it impossible), and I’ve watched a couple youtube tutorials (which were amazingly hard to locate for some reason - most people seem to just blast the surface with projectiles from their ship lol), but it still takes me forever to find the spots within the POI.

I mean, I know generally how to find, and what I’m looking for, it just doesn’t seem to click very well.

Yes the disappearing signal after driving for ages can test your patience :slight_smile:

What makes me suspicious about the scanner on the SRVs is when I return to the ship after yet another unsuccessful search I head for my ship and stop directly in front of it. And does the scanner detect that I have this great big flipping hulk of metal with all singing and dancing flashing lights staring at me? No it doesn’t.

2 Likes