Elite Dangerous Thread

Congrats on the trading Elite

1 Like

What’s your trick of the trade (pun!)?

I’m in no rush to become Elite, but I’m still fairly back in Trading.

I guess I’ve always only really traded, as in looking back my path was:

• Cobra rare trade runs so I got enough cash to buy big freighters.
  • Enough money for a T7, with runs like crazy for Community Goals.
  • Enough money for a Slaver Python (yeah, I know).
  • Enough money for a T9, with runs like crazy for Community Goals.
  • Enough money for the Anaconda, with runs like crazy on the recent passenger bug/nerf.

I basically minmax’d it.

The last one was me pretty much saying “I’m done with trading, I can’t see straight anymore, so want off this treadmill”. My plan now is either to see the 2.4 Thargoid content and then head out and then try to get Explorer Elite with a big loop.

1 Like

Apparently landing and driving your SRV on planets helps as well, the farther from Earth the better.

1 Like

Ah! Ok… I see. I’m afraid I’m going to have to do that too.

Yeah, basically I’ve done the same first two steps as you did.
I was tempted by slavery but I’m moreally impaired (or the opposite) and basically IO really can’t see me doing that.

What’s left? Minmaxing with a T9 or an Anaconda.
I’m afraid I’ll have to do that.

We’ll see.

1 Like

CGs do it for me.

There are two delivery ones on just now - and I’m signed up to both. I’m currently entrepreneur at around 40% I think.

Also helps your Empire/Fed rank, of course. Plus, lots of interdiction attempts, so if you submit and blow em away - that helps your combat rank, too!

Easy, really :unamused:

1 Like

btw guys - are any of you having issues in ED at the moment? Especially those in VR?

I’m sure we talked about some of the random image issues I was having a month or two ago - well things suddenly got a lot worse since I restarted in the bubble. It’s flashing very often and very distracting.

I’ve also had control issues. I’ve had these for around three weeks. The heat sinks would randomly fire off, or the galaxy map would appear out of nowhere. This has also got very bad the last couple of days - so bad I almost lost a ship yesterday. It’s been switching itself into silent running frequently, too.

I thought it might have been my X56 - I have just put some engineering oil on the two ministicks, but I really can’t see how that would cause this, otherwise nothing has changed. However, when flying in P3Dv4 or IL-2 BoX, it’s fine.

Having said that, I had to reassign all my stick controls because DCS World suddenly didn’t recognise them.

Weirdness. I don’t use SST/HUD

Random inputs are generally HOTAS related, and can definitely happen in some games and not others.

Is your HOTAS plugged into a powered USB hub?

The flickering I dunno - have you tried it without VR to see if it’s still doing it?

@Brix Yeah, that really does sound like the Saitek issue of the X55/56 HOTAS not really following the USB-2 power standards and needing some more juice. If the units are plugged into the motherboard then it is really worth getting a $15 or external powered hub or a separate PCE-e powered internal USB extra slots.

You guys do the worst job selling this game! Can you at least TRY to make it sound less grindy? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes - always do that. Used to have it in a powered USB 3.1 hub, but that went a bit suspect, so had it in a 2.0 since. I have all my controllers plugged into one hub, so I can disconnect them easily with the pull of one cable.

Elite is the only game I have this problem with - and only since a couple of weeks. The graphics issue has gone on longer.

So, I just got out of the game and the first few minutes were fine - but then the graphics glitches started. It’s been images that were on the screen earlier, reappearing. Such as planets or a space station. *interestingly, it seems to get kicked off when I have a bright object - usually a sun - in view

I thought the control was okay, but then last thing as I landed, the system map came up and the ship went into silent running. These controls are mapped to the throttle.

I’ll plug them into one of my two USB cards on the tower. They are both powered directly from the PSU - one is a 2 and the other a 3 (the infamous Inatek for the Rift).

I plan on completely dismantling the PC and giving it its 6 monthly dust down and reassembly.

Btw, chaps - easy money to be had on the current CG in Khun - though getting the required materials is a bit of a pain. I was getting Coltan from Aknango, as there doesn’t seem to be much Beryllium around at all - but that is about to run out.
Anyway - first run of 240t got me straight into the top 75% and second run got me into top50%. The rewards are quite low atm, but should rise. 2½ days left :wink:

Re: flickering. When was your last driver update?

If you’ve done one recently, roll it back and see if that helps.

1 Like

Good point - I haven’t updated it in a while - I like to wait and see if there are issues with new drivers before I install. I’ll do that now.

It’s a beautiful and mindbogglingly huge sandbox that uses the real galaxy as your playground. What it loses in terms of gameplay depth it makes up for in terms of scale. If you have even a passing interest in space, astronomy or sci-fi then it’s worth some time.

It is sort of similar to a flightsim like FSX or DCS, where people we say ‘there is nothing to do I haven’t seen at least once’ and have trouble seeing why flying to A->B is fun in itself. You’ve got to love the good bits enough to fill in for the bad.

1 Like

my x56 always had phantom inputs (always the throttle only) whenever it was not in a usb 3 or better port … damn annoying

I find it very relaxing - as I’ve said, I’ve nodded off at the helm more times than I can remember!

Oh - maybe that’s not such a good advert! :smiley:

Here’s a freebie for whoever wants it - Earth like world - the system and position details are in the screenshot - I got dismitigrated before I could claim it…

edit - more info - it’s in sector 3:

route

2 Likes

I need to start posting my exploration screenshots.

Right now, exploring is a good way to unwind and do something slower - paced while sometimes finding cool things as well. Mining is the same way. As for combat and trading, that’s a bit more grindy, but I haven’t done much of that in a good long while anyway.

1 Like

Well it is grindy, :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

But its a beautiful grind in a spectacular replication of our galaxy.

2 Likes

Neutron supercharging - it’s real, guys!

Some thought-provoking snips:

The outburst took place in a galaxy called NGC 4993, located roughly a thousand billion, billion km away in the Constellation Hydra.

It happened 130 million years ago - when dinosaurs roamed the Earth. It was so far away that the light and gravitational waves have only just reached us.

1 Like

Predictably, the graphics glitches were not present on the monitor. Wow - playing on the monitor with TrackIR was a real eye-opener as to how fantastic VR is. It felt too small and too far away, not to mention the restriction on awareness.

They weren’t as bad as previously, though - and I am pretty sure the brighter lights are kicking it off - even in the menu. Tomorrow I will do the Rift set-up again and see if anything comes up.

The controller is now as it should be - I have plugged the HOTAS into the Inatek USB 3 card. I also changed the profile quite a bit, so I’m very careful what I press now! :grimacing:

but it has gone well so far. I also switched off the headlook UI focus - it’s so much better when they are not continually popping up and spoiling the view. means I have to set a button for each UI, but I’m willing to put up with that.

Getting back into it in VR - even after only one session on the monitor, was like new all over again - and makes me realise just how lucky we are.

2 Likes