To be fair, I’ve had enough cheese-wedge shaped ships.
With the Mamba and both Kraits ships are finally heading in a more unusual design direction.
To be fair, I’ve had enough cheese-wedge shaped ships.
Yeah, that engine section is stupid sexy.
I took a peek at the Krait Mk2 last week, in beta. Really a high point on design and detail, among ship interiors. The new Phantom looks even more fantastic, from the video.
The mamba, yea… I can’t wait to try that out. Not sure what to think on the whole “fast” angle for that ship, however. The speeds they demo’ed in the video didn’t impress me. My Cobra boosts over 500m/s, and it’s not even got G5 thruster mods, and is filled with various utility modules weighing it down. We shall see.
the cockpit on that mamba tho… yummy!
Please find the beta patch notes for the third week of beta.
Krait Phantom (Falcon DeLacy)
With a spacious cargo hold and a relatively generous quantity of hardpoints, the Krait Phantom is a versatile ship suited to a range of roles. It has enough firepower to hold its own against larger targets, and enough straight-line speed to outpace smaller targets. The ship also offers eight internal compartments, allowing the pilot to tailor the ship to their requirements. And while it lacks the firepower and fighter bay of its sister ship, the Krait Mk II, it is both faster and lighter.
- 2 large and 2 medium hardpoints
- 8 Internal optional slots
- Top speed of 256m/s and a boost speed of 358m/s
- 8.23LY laden FSD range
Mamba (Zorgon Peterson)
Based on an unreleased racing prototype, the Mamba is one of the fastest ships in production. It can also deliver a lot of punishment, boasting one huge and two large hardpoints. This emphasis on firepower and speed means the ship can hit hard and fast, vanishing before the target has a chance to react. Comparisons to the Fer-de-Lance, also produced by Zorgon Peterson, will be inevitable, but the Mamba is in fact faster in a straight line, while being slightly less maneuverable.
- 1 huge, 2 large and 2 small hardpoints
- 5 internal optional slots
- Top speed of 316m/s and a boost speed of 387m/s
- 6.37LY laden FSD range
New scenarios can now be found:
- Installations - Raid and Heist
- Megaship - Heist
- Damaged Megaship - Rescue and Repair
Quality of Life
- Added icon to info panel to show players if their ship or SRV lights are on
Bug Fixes and Improvements
- Fixed some typos in the playlist tab
- Fixed the broken ‘Frameshift Active…’ message on the right hand panel
- Fixed missing characters in Russian
- Ensure the summary of a discovery entry in the session log matches the detail
- Added some missing icons
- Fix some unlocalised strings
- Fix a cause for codex vouchers sometimes being unsellable
- Fix for multicrew crew members discovering things in the wrong starsystem
- Fix some audio logs not grouping correctly
- Give INRA audio logs their own category
- Fixed instances where direct messages from other players where coming through as ‘Unidentified’
- Fix some issues for not always being placed into the correct starsystem’s chat
- Fixed an issue where some players were unable to bind controls correctly
- Added a new default scheme ‘Keyboard and Mouse with Yaw’
- Fixed a crash that could occur whilst mining in an asteroid ring
- Fixed a crash that could occur when viewing Squadron applications
- Fixed a crash that could occur when opening the galaxy or system map
- Fixed a crash that could occur when mining with night vision on
- Fixed a crash that could occur when jumping into a new system
- Fixed crash that could occur when dropping into a ‘Notable Stellar Phenomena’ location
- Fixed a crash that could occur when using the FSS mode
- Fixed a crash that could occur when exiting the game
- Fixed crashed that could occur when dropping out at a weapons fire detected USS
- Fixed crash that could occur when changing 3D settings and exiting the graphics menu
- Fixed a crash that could occur in hyperspace
- Fixed crash that could occur when opening the Codex
- Fixed a crash that could occur when in the outfitting screens
- Fixed a crash that could occur in a Multicrew session
- Fixed smoke from over heating going through the cockpit
- Reduced the grade thresholds of the Colonia engineers
- Fixed legacy engineering modifications on DSS module are converted for new ones (and references to old ones are removed)
- FSS mouse sensitivity control option now works
- Fixed some locations that couldn’t be zoomed in on
- Fixed probes sometimes going through bodies
- Increased the text field for SAA gravity gauge (fixes some localisation issues)
- Added surface locations found after probing a body to the system map
- Planet surface signals are now targetable outside of Analysis mode
- Added the number of bodies info to the ‘Orbital Plane Established’ alert
- Fixed the discovery scanner SFX getting stuck looping
- Fixed issue where players could zoom in and discover a metal rich body whilst tuned to the asteroid section on the filtered spectral analysis
- Fixed missing info panel data when scanning a K class star for the first time
- Fixed an issue that could cause the planet map % to decrease whilst probing
- Changed the ‘scenarios’ section of the FSA to Concentrated signal sources and Transient signal sources
- Fixed surface signals disappearing after logging off
- Shortened the “Short Range Composition Scanner” name to “Composition Scanner”
- Added support for FSS tuning to be bound to inouts that don’t auto-center
- Changed HOTAS joystick bindings to avoid FSS tuning and movement being on the same hand
- Now able to bind enter and exit FSS to the same button
- Fixed bodies rendering over their rings after beiing fully mapped
- Fixed asteroid clusters reporting high temperatures in FSS
- Added ‘First Mapped’ to system map
- Clarified the info message that appears when trying to enter FSS mode whilst charging the FSD
- Renamed ‘Radio Tuning Minimum Increase/Decrease’ to ‘Increase/Decrease Tuning’ in control options
- Updated info message theme when turning off analysis mode
- Updated info message when a target is too close to zoom in to from ‘Adaptive Zoom Blocked’ to ‘Target too close’
- Ensure the efficiency target can actually be met
- Fix a transaction server error when selling a page of exploration data that has zero credits value
- Fix some issues with planets not being targetable and not always displaying correctly on the system map or in FSS mode
- Fix some issues when spawning conflict zones in certain star systems
- Ensure settlement & codex vouchers correctly affect the faction simulation
- Fix some friends not always displaying correctly
- Fixed unreachable listening post In the “HIP 16753” system
- Fixed missing text in the Rhenium material description
- Fixed incorrect details title for Chemical processors material description
- Automatically fix ships with more than one FSD Interdictor modules
- Added a new space bar, “The Orange Sidewinder” …for real this time
- Fixed lighting issue on the planet in the Elevate CQC location
- Updated French translation of ‘High Metal Content World’
- Removed the superfluous ‘;’ from the system map when player is wanted
- Increased the cooldown on the Pulse Wave Analyser, to allow the results to appear before players can trigger it again
- Resource Extraction Sites should now appear in applicable areas of the game
- Outfitting text for the Seismic Charge tool now mentions that it is used to break asteroids apart
- Delivery and Smuggle missions now warn players about being cargo laden and reduced jump range
- Reduce chance planetary Scan chooses POI owned by mission giver
- Added ‘Open Galaxy Map’ option to megaship missions
- Fixed issue where disabling defence turrets didn’t update or complete megaship disable missions
- Added missing hand in faction information to delivery missions
- Fixed race mission wrinkles appearing with very little time to complete them
- Fixed some objects still being highlighted whilst in vanity camera
- Fixed typos in audio options menu
- Fixed typos in controls options menu
- Ensured that all bodies that are discovered and displayed on the system map are also shown in the Orrery view
- Removed non-functioning planet map button
- Improve the line width scaling
- Fixed incorrect value being shown for ‘Limpet Life Time’
- Fixed incorrect schematic used for 8A thrusters
- Added 1 more ship and 2 more utility stock slots to all markets
- FSSSignalDiscovered – if signal is a USS, add a ThreatLevel value; if signal is a station, add IsStation:true; add SystemAddress
- Cargo – fix spurious extra events; add a flag to indicate vessel=Ship or Vessel=SRV
- CodexEntry: add SystemAddress
- Status.json, Flags: add NightVision flag (bit28/0x10000000)
- SendText: include a journal entry for text to squadron or system chat
- ReceiveText: include a ‘Channel’ parameter to show if message was from squadron or system chat
- SAAScanComplete: remove lists of names of discoverers and mappers
- Ensure ‘Exit’ button in Material Traders takes players back to contacts, not to the Fines and Bounty claims contact
- Fixed broken ‘Welcome’ animation when opening the services menu
- Fixed typos in search and rescue contact description
- Fixed Crime Sweep conflict zones (both powers involved will now be actively fighting)
- Fixed dust mote popping in ring fog
- The list of systems that appear in the Squadron allegiance page is now sorted by name
- Fixed the Squadron logo used on the ‘browse more’ option
- Added Squadron icon to ‘invite’ option
- Remove placeholder text from Squadron invites
- Fixed Alliance logo appearing when non Alliance super powers are selected
- Can now invite players in local space, that are not friends
- Added a popup notification when handing over a Squadron to a different member
- Fix some dates not being displayed correctly
- Fix some transaction server errors when managing squadron members
- Fix for Powerplay leaderboard contributions not being counted
- Fix for Powerplay & Political leaderboards not displaying
- Fix authored messages not appearing in the squadron feed
- Removed a ‘phantom’ third ring around “Paesia 2” which was causing players to drop out of Supercruise when nothing was there
- Fixed white dwarf jets cones being visible through bodies
- Changed ‘bonus active’ text when refueling the SRV through synthesis
- Ensure a state is shown for each faction listed, even if it is ‘None’
- Fixed installations and megaships incorrectly displaying as surface settlements
- Increase the thickness of orbit lines in the orrery view
- Ensure players can fully zoom into bodies in the orrery view
- Fixed the background on intermediate FSS zoom levels warping
- Fixed planet rings moving with the headset in FSS mode
- Fixed the SRVs full beam lens flare causing visual issues
- Fixed graphical errors when switching between FSS and SAA modes
- Fixed inverted joystick animations
- Fixed missing scan effect in FSS (that highlights areas of interest)
- Fix various fog and jet cone issues
Hmm, that Phantom could be a nice Explorer ship perhaps? Love the AspX, but the new toy does have my interest…
The new ships beta stats are at: https://edshipyard.net/
I’m actually thinking that. Can plug in my Guardian booster without having to give up cargo, an AMFU, or an SRV. I’ve got a potential build right at about 60 ly.
Anybody have any ideas what would be good for new mining? I’m thinking my Asp might be good for that, what with the 6 hard points.
I’m thinking of retooling my Asp X for mining when the update hits too. Or possibly getting a Krait for it. Hmmm … choices …
I’m reading you’ll need at least five hard points to do all the mining things, so there’s that.
There are 4 mining hardpoint tools. I’ve fit them all on a Keelback. Having extra hardpoints would be for weapons, if desired.
I’m looking forward to exploring this update when it drops.
A collection of awesome sauce
I’ll post pics later, but I hopped into Jamison Memorial last night and did a quick build on a Mamba, then took her to a CZ in a neighboring system. She performed pretty well, aside from running a bit hot when pairing the rails and beam lasers (rails are stock, beams are G3 efficient), but that might be a byproduct of the overcharged power plant and dirty drives. Here’s what I had for the build:
Very fast, but felt less nimble than my Krait mk II, and again the heat issues. I’ll keep an eye on this for the rest of the beta.
Next up I think I’ll give a shot at building an Explorer Krait Phantom - I played around a bit when the scanner last night, and I’m definitely going to need more time to figure out how to be efficient with it, but so far I’m a fan.
A few shots of the new Mamba. Beautiful ship, but definitely not a turn fighter- unless I was doing it wrong (a very distinct possibility). Still thinking I’ll pick one up when it hits the live update.
Out of morbid curiosity, I decided to give the new mining mechanic a quick go, so here’s some of what the outfitting looks like. Holy fire groups:
I’m still getting a hang of the new tools (does the abrasion blaster actually do anything? I couldn’t seem to get it to work), but I’m still undecided on if I like the new mining mechanics or not. More on that later.
Chomping on roids never been my idea of fun, but I fully intend to dive back into E:D when this hits live. The new lighting and scanner are enough of a draw to me.
How about a Mudspike squadron eh?
Turns are OK, if timed with boosting. The Mamba is huge, bigger than a Python (!), but still can boost turn pretty good, with minimal drift.
Pretty fun racing down in some mountains and canyons.
I’ve been getting back into ED lately and liking it far more than I had in the past. Playing on both PC and PS4, doing different roles on each platform. I played during the beta and was impressed with whats coming and I’ll be looking at mining as I’ve never really bothered with it as it was very simplistic but this new update changes that.
I haven’t flown online in a long time, do you all still fly online?
I kind of do, but to be honest I prefer solo due to the small time commitment I can devote.
By all means we could do some multicrew in private group!
i would be up for that … and the mining does look very interesting