Falcon BMS Discussion

The iMagic forum? That’s where I got to know Crimson.

1 Like

Interesting quote from iHawk one of the main devs:

Engine isn’t old anymore, in fact it is very modern, just currently there are no new rendering methods implemented that take advantage of the engine abilities.

1 Like

Alternate launcher now updated to 4.35: Releases · chihirobelmo/FalconBMS-Alternative-Launcher · GitHub

4 Likes

Falcon BMS is what brought me to DCS. If someone can get VR working, even with Vorpx say the word! :smile:

2 Likes

I played around with it for 30mins now.
vorpX hooks into BMS without issues, BUT I cannot get the 3d world to render on my Oculus.
Headtracking works out of the Box, no hassles - I can see that on my screen.
Menus are glitching in and out, either on screen or in HMD, but no consistent way, either mode (FullVR, Immersive, Cinema). In the end you have to guess where your cursor is to be able to exit BMS at last :slight_smile:

Maybe others have more luck, but for now I am not trying again.

Cheers

1 Like

There were no CPUs with multiple cores inside the same package, but there were Motherboards with multiple CPU sockets.

3 Likes

I’ve had an enjoyable day toying with the update. The biggest positive impressions are: the more detailed Korean airbases, the improved (over an already superior) ATC and the updated Wasp light carrier. Big carrier ops are improved but I haven’t tried the F-18 yet. The new pilot body is something I normally leave off in any sim if available. But the one in BMS 4.35 is pretty good and gets in the way only just enough to add a sense of space. And with those legs we get a more useful kneeboard. I noticed that I was getting inconsistent levels of “darkness” on a given mission even though the clock time was the same. Turns out this was due to the updated visor. When rampstarting, it is not lowered.
Otherwise, it is. RTFM. Not all is great. The spawnpoints are supposed to be improved but I am not so sure. I’ve been co-spawned on the same point with an AI plane in single-player and I have read complaints of this happening in multiplayer. The AV-8B+ is slightly porked. No clickable JFS and I am struggling with the TGP. My choices for the 2d UI are “fullscreen” and 1024x728. No middle ground. Fullscreen is fine but there is no alt-tabbing out. Nor is it possible for me to cntl-alt-del as a last resort. In fact, this is the only windows game in my memory where if things went south I had no choice but to hold the power button. Still, it’s good enough that I don’t mind ditching 4.34. But it is small enough that I don’t need to.

2 Likes

I have noticed that I can actually alt tab in game without any problems now and luckily the small UI is still big enough for me to keep it windowed as I always do…just far easier to open up all the other apps I use with it.

The new air bases are great and been trying out the runway arresting wires - plenty of work gone in there.

It is defo running better for me now overall and the benefit of such a small program is the loading times are non existent.

2 Likes

Yeah the conversion to dx11 is great, although not too visible yet. Just steer away from display extraction for the moment as it is bugged until the next patch.

1 Like

Aaaah! Thanks! Somehow I missed that in the RTFM. I thought that by selecting “windowed” or “borderless” that I would be getting a small box in the 3D world as well. But nooooo. It’s just for the GUI. 3D is fullscreen. Brilliant! Now, unlike many over at the BMS forum who’ve been reading the hints, I’m not convinced that VR is in this sim’s near future. But (BUT) if it is, this is the way to go. VR GUI screens suck. But by having a 2D and windowed GUI to get everything nice and tidy before jumping into the the virtual world, the user can concentrate on setting up the experience methodically and comfortably. I’m in love (still)!

I recall the image of Cowboy using the TM F22 joystick as a guitar. Some things just stick in my memory.

2 Likes

It’s like meeting up with an old friend.
ps love the clouds!

11 Likes

Just yesterday I happened to come across this video of the original Falcon 4.0.

Just that music in the GUI wakes so many memories. That campaign and the comms, still unsurpassed after 22 years.

F4 used to be that giant. Asking why sim X doesn’t have such an amazing campaign as Falcon was always an unfair question, because Falcon was a giant and everyone else was a dwarf. Of course no one could ever again have a campaign like Falcon.

If you think about it, now DCS has become a giant too. I would suspect that by now, way more man-hours went into DCS than ever went into the (original) F4. And while DCS has reached incredible things in regards to FM, system simulation and graphics, it is still dwarfed by F4 in so many areas. We already know that the highly anticipated dynamic campaign for DCS will be nowhere near in scope like that of Falcon, so even after 22 years no one even tries to reach again what once has already been achieved.

Let’s all buy the new MicroProse titles, make them a ton of money and hope for Falcon 5.0 :slight_smile:

9 Likes

amen.

Bill ”Cowboy” Wilson.
SimHQ used to host his site at cowboy.simhq.com.
Knew everything there was to know about programming the TM sticks.

And just like F4 and it’s campaign engine, I doubt we’ll see another flightsim with the scope of DCS again.

Oh yes!
Even if I doubt MicroProse would dive as deep as they did for F4 again. That campaign engine didn’t come cheap…
Then again, the foundation is laid out. Maybe they could just polish the old code?

1 Like

Was nothing like it. Still the best combat flight sim. We just can’t forget the buggy, slow mess it was for years after release either. BMS (et, al) saved this all. When (don’t say “if”) it gets VR then I’m back in the saddle again…out where a friend is a friend… :musical_note:

I am too lazy this year to write anything more than a few sentences. So an AAR is out of the question. But every BMS flight I have had over that last two weeks has been worthy of a report. It is hard to imagine how this sim could get any better.

I need to give this a try again now with the G2. I was having some terrible shimmering in the MFDs before, but maybe the newly increased resolution will fix that issue.

I’m revisiting F4 again, when that happens.

3 Likes

I never have problems on any version of Falcon with NVidia Vision 3D. Is it an issue with head tracking on BMS that makes it not ‘VR compatible’?

1 Like