Fishing

Is there an interest in fishing topic here?

Just recently started learning fresh water fishing and would love to chat about it.

4 Likes

I grew up trout and bass fishing in the streams and lakes of NC (respectively), and catfishing in Texas, but it’s been years and years since I last did any fishing (maybe something in the . I’d be interested in this, if not to maybe see about getting into it again.

2 Likes

My favorite past time, maybe the name gave that away. @Navynuke99 let me know when you want to go fishing. I don’t get out as much as I’d like to mainly due to not having a fishing buddy around.

Anyway, always glad to talk fishing regardless, trout, bass, crappie, whatever.

1 Like

I used to fish each year while on vacation in Norway with my parents.
The biggest fish I caught was a mackerel of 50cm, I think it was in a fjord near Farsund.
It was fun back then.
It’s been 20 years since I held a fishing pole though.

In Germany you need a license to fish, with exams and such stuff. My brother made it a few weeks ago.

1 Like

This is something that I want to start doing, either this summer or next. I need more outdoor time :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can’t have a fishing thread without some pictures, unfortunately I only have from my last hour long outting, nothing I would normally take pictures of, but my kids enjoy seeing any of them, so here we go, may these be the smallest fish posted here from hence forth :smiley:

Had a really nice rockbass/red eye but I let it sit on that bottom step that you can see in the first picture while trying to dig my phone out. Well bad idea, he got off, it’s ok though, everything is always catch and release with me anyway.

3 Likes

I’m combining kayaking and fishing. Got a two seater 200 dollar inflatable little boat.

Target of last fishing was catfish. I don’t know the differences between species yet… I do know that if belly is swelling up, we are going to release them next time. …caviar and all.

6 Likes

look like channel cats, deep fork in the tails? Can’t tell if it’s lighting or not, but the one closest to the bottom looks like it might be a blue, hard to tell

2 Likes

Yeah that’s where I would like to do with this. Tooling around a lake/river, catching (or not catching) fish :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think we caught two different kinds. When we go again I’ll take better pictures.

1 Like

I’ve noticed it is much more challenging than a regular boat. You can’t stand up so it’s harder to throw a line and be accurate. Also it’s difficult to stay in the spot…wind pushes you around and at the moment I don’t have an anchor. Juggling with fishing rods and row paddle makes things even more fun.
Then there is a big issue of space. Inflatable kayaks are small…and water from paddles quickly ends up where your behind is…
But it is convenient to quickly throw bag with kayak in the trunk and head to fishing spot.

2 Likes

I used to LOVE fishing! But until it is VR compatible I will not participate in the hobby.

2 Likes

Did I mentioned that I’m a noob in this new hobby?

My basic setup on a rod;

… fishing line (16 pounds) goes to snap-swivel using uni-fishing knot.

This way I can quickly switch from one setup to another.

For example, switching from jigging to bobber or different hook. So bobber setup would have another swivel - fishing line - hook. All ties with uni knot.

4 Likes

I mean, that’s how we did it when I was growing up, and it worked just fine.

1 Like

I like the the uni-knot (also called Grinner knot here in Germany).

This one is also nice and easy:

I have my license for 2 years now and am rather unsuccessful in my attempts to catch predatory fish. Only some small Perch.
But then again fish tend to be small in my area. Especially if you compare it to say Norway.

For me fishing helps to calm things down and relax.

5 Likes

That improved Clinch diagram forgot the part where you get a little saliva on the line :smile:

2 Likes

Not sure what your setup is but if you keep at it, you might take a look at a normal (ie not inflatable) sit on top kayak.

I had an Ocean Kayak that was setup for fishing for a while, it sure makes it a lot easier. They’re super stable (you can stand in them, though I was never comfortable with it) and rod management is much simpler. Throw in a cheap anchor with some rope and you’re set.

1 Like

Yeah, my setup is rather cheap at the moment. I’ll have to see if I’ll get bored of it…

2 Likes

Maybe I’m just extra cautious but aren’t you worried about being in an inflatable boat and throwing around a bunch of sharp objects?

4 Likes

This was my setup a few years ago, back when I lived right on a canal and could just drop it in whenever. Unfortunately it was stolen shortly after.

Can’t say I was much good at catching anything in it but it was sure nice to get on the water.

2 Likes