Fishing

Bass fishing in a lake or a tank are my favorites. Most satisfying is catching a small perch in the tank and then using him for live bait…

If there’s a monster in there you’ll find it!

Growing up my grandad had a stock tank he kept fed with dog food off a small dock. Lots of memories.

Still learning on my end. Watched few videos online, but can’t quite practice those skills due to weather. It’s been raining last two weekends…and water raising to 1993 flood levels.

1 Like

Not quite coastal fishing report. Pulled a few small reds out of the grass in the Colington creek/ kitty hawk bay area this evening. The actual coast fishing is supposed to be great this whole week, too bad I can’t find enough open beach to join in.

2 Likes

Started going to local lake again…wife’s got better luck then me now. Need to find a way to do catfishing when it’s hot and they don’t want to comeout and feed me.

6 Likes

Go for the Channel cats this time of year, not the blues. Also, stink travels a good ways longer in warmer water than colder water.

If you would share TTP of going after channel cats, I would be grateful. :wink:

1 Like

Hard to go wrong with chicken livers, the channel cats like stink which is why usually they’ll be easier to catch in warmer water than the blues. I’d stick to natural baits though, don’t think they go for artificial stuff much. They do also like some big ol’ night crawlers, or just ball up some smaller ones on a hook. Hard to target specific stuff with worms, but they don’t seem to be picky about how you hook the worms on there so maybe use that to your advantage in trying to weed out other fishing taking your bait.

Only other thing I can think of is if the weather is hot enough that they aren’t biting, I’d try to look for areas that have more oxygen in the water. Plenty of vegetation, mouth of any tributaries coming in or going out. Heck a good windy shoreline if need be, probably stick to the shadows as well, anything where the water might be “cooler”. The warmer the water the less oxygen, the less oxygen the less likely they’ll be active.

I don’t know if any of that was news at all. Personally I’ve caught a fair share of them with night crawlers (while out fishing for other stuff) but I don’t often go out just for catfish.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I usually do walmart stinker bait and nightcrawlers with some success. I’ve tried chicken liver (fresh and “aged”) and it just disintegrates. Turkey liver is too tough. And zero bites on both.

Can you share your rod setup?

here’s a good way to keep the liver on your hook, if you can’t find that mesh in the video i heard panty hose works too.

1 Like

Thanks for the video. I’ll have to give it a try…

Caught no fish. After catching 3rd turtle, I left…

7 Likes

Would like to put a warning to folks looking for an inflatable kayak. Stay away from Intex Excursion Pro Kayak, Professional Series Inflatable Fishing Kayaks. It is as durable as wet paper and quality of lowest and cheapest communist slave-labor that china can deliver. The bloody thing started to disintegrate right at tail end of warranty…90 days. Company solution is to buy a new one. So Intex Co is on do not buy / recommend list.