Flight Following and Short AAR Thread

I transferred a flight from 25U back to Pullman (KPUW) if anyone wants it…and booked myself out of the aircraft. Only an 81NM leg in the Bush 172 with some stunning scenery!

KTVY. Was that you in that Citation @Sryan ? :slight_smile:

Btw guys, I see you are flying for MAD, where are your pictures?

1 Like

@chipwich I think it was around 700 lbs, I’ll check when I’m on next. The “blue ring” MTOW in XP is 2000lbs.

At 700 lbs cargo your flight time is only one hour or so though, from memory. I’ve exceeded the 2000lbs a bit on a couple of flights to have some extra fuel reserve - not good practice, I know…but it worked ok, still had pitch authority and still took off in no distance at all.

1 Like

Could’ve been one that I flew!

Spotted someone on the world map while planning my next flight :slight_smile:

Quite a narrow taxiway!

Quite a short runway as well. Luckily for us we’re taking off towards the downward slope, and we’re 2000kg below MTOW.

The flight was uneventful, seen here just over the top of my descent. Remarkable is that the EADI and mechanical back-up inclinometer don’t seem to agree about my level of slip.

Approach over the lake.

Safely on the ground. 9 pax happily at their destination and another $5000 in the bank for us!

4 Likes

At least there were no drugs hauled… next time I should turn off my transponder :slight_smile:

These dry lakebeds have to be dealt as water or snow. Wish I could upgrade this little bird with radio altimeter

1 Like

I can see you not being interested. For me, being a non-pilot, I liked it quite a bit for a while. I did a ton of the ratings, but I was always really nervous. People said it would go away after a time, but it didn’t and I finally decided it’s not a great thing to have my adrenaline running off while I’m just sitting on my a$$ flying the simulator. So, I too would like to have a good ATC add-on.

1 Like

Last nights flight was a bit of a handfull at the start. I had to haul some ‘Herbal Remedies’ from KEAT down to KPSC, mainly because I was able to find a return flight of cargo up from nearby KRLD. That would make the return trip worth it :slight_smile:

2020-05-29 11_43_34-Window

Weather was good so I went with a full VFR flight with the airport located VORs as guidance, but worse case I could just follow the river. Loaded up the ‘Herbal Remedies’ at KEAT and started off on my mundane journey…

Until it wasn’t mundane any longer!

Experienced my first X-Plane random faliure! A flock of birds, numbering in the millions (exaggeration) flew up in front of me as I turned toward my destination. I have not seen that many gulls outside of a McDonald’s parking lot!

Of course I had to abandon any plans of reaching my destination. No idea what other systems would have been affected but the bird bits scattered over my face and the interior were enough of a reason to return :slight_smile:

2020-05-28 20_57_02-Window

Luckily my mechanic just happened to be outside holding my previously purchased replacement. I was wondering why I had bought one when I bought the 172 for AH2XP but I am glad I did (I didn’t, but that doesn’t mean I can’t ret-con it in). My mechanic and, apparent cleaning staff, made quick work of the repairs and because I am a steely-eyed virtual sim pilot and not shaken up or hurt from the experience at all, I was off again a short time later.

See? No outside damage at all!

Coming in for touchdown at KPSC.

And a quick turn around after dropping off the ‘Herbal Remedies with added Spiritual Healing Feathers and one Startled/Morbid Bird Eye’, I closed out that mission and set up a quick ferry over to next door KRLD.

After dropping in and loading the new cargo, I was off on my way back to KEAT. Found some interseting trains going 'round a and around in an closed track? Weird!

Rest of the flight was uneventful. Thankfully!

10 Likes

That’s a good one. Or hovering over tourists’ heads on the beach as they feed them - and promptly get shat-upon.

A T-shirt idea there: Mud Spike on the front, that on the back.

2 Likes

So when I was a kid I went to Primos-Secane Elementary School …

…and for some odd reason, when it rained, a flock of seagulls (not this…

…Flock of Seagulls)

real seagulls would land on the athletic field. A quick check of GoogleEarth shows it to be 52 Nm/ 59 SM / 95 Km from the Atlantic Ocean (New Jersey coast).

What’s up with that?

2 Likes

Perhaps they were foraging. Rain draws all manners of subterranean creatures to the surface, lest they drown. It’s also why you see some species of birds (including seagulls) tap dance on grass from time to time. The vibration appears as rain to the critters, allowing the birds to snack on them.

2 Likes

Rats, with or without wings, are opportunistic pests

3 Likes

Yeah but 50 miles from the no kidding Sea…from whence their monicker is derived?

I’ve seen them 500 miles from any ocean, though some kind of water was in the general area.

Creston, Alberta (CAJ3) must really love frozen shrimp. Because they just paid $96000 for 12462 pounds of it. Of the dozen or so landings I have made with the Douglas in Air Hauler, all have been “smooth” or “greasers”. This one was “positive”. And it was. I was overloaded by 2000 pounds and hit hard while working on the crosswind correction. (A mistake I have made many, many times in real life.) CAJ3 is default scenery so I am not sure why the two official cars were idling next to the runway. Maybe the plugin includes customs when you cross the border? No matter. I was paid and got to keep the plane. (I took 3 percent damage on the landing though.)

8 Likes

Beautiful scenery - that the Aeroworx DC-3/C-47 or the LES one? Sooo far I’ve managed Greasers and Smooth, but I’ve been going to pretty easy airstrips so far (Idaho soon though!). I had quite a few “positives” in Air Hauler for P3D…usually caused by me rushing an approach or just trying to get fancy.

The DC-3 is VSKYLABS.

1 Like

Another day, another job!

Coming in at the destination airport, I find myself in a somewhat precarious situation. According to the instruments I’m on glideslope, but the PAPI’s think I’m a little low, and those trees are looking high!

managed to safely put her down.

3 Likes

Well, I’m currently driving a 200ish lbs overladen bird back to home base from Odessa (43D).

I’m doing all the real-life no-no’s…too much load, didn’t even check CG, she’ll be right we’re not going far…and I’ve got about 15 minutes of fuel on arrival, if I did my math right. I think the “fly at your own risk” warning AH2 gave me when it notified me of the overload probably also means no insurance…but hey! Over $8k payment for 62NM flight, who could say no to that! It’s a beautiful day, what could possibly go wrong.

The VOR nav is set but I’m definitely watching the GPS here…don’t want to make that track any longer than it has to…

Diddums. The wind has picked up. And it’s not helping. 17 kts gusting 24 is a big headwind with this slowpoke bird…and I don’t really have fuel to spare!

That’s the Palisades valley ahead…just another dozen NM’s after that to threshold…c’mon baby!

Pretty happy to be home and in the pattern - and with a bit of fuel to spare! I fully expected to run a tank down before switching…but the Cub was still happily chugging away when I switched to the fuller tank before landing.

The good thing about that quartering headwind en route was that it was blowing right down the runway! Touchdown ground speed was a blistering 29kts and I casually rolled off the runway onto the first taxiway without trouble…living that Cub pilot life…

6 Likes

Strike while the iron is hot…they need some building materials at Auburn Munincipal.

82NM, $7,030 - almost $86 payout per NM less costs. We take it, beggars can’t be choosers. That Westerly will be working against me, but I can live with that…besides, I haven’t been to the big smoke yet. Hopefully there are some juicy jobs back towards KEAT there.

Climbing out of KEAT, clawing some altitude before heading over the Cascade Range. Ring of fire, baby! And it burns, burns, burns…

Nice to be here on a clear day, otherwise I would have had to get above all these peaks…passing Mt Stuart to the North.

Little bit of weather forming ahead, though. This could get interesting, yet.

…and then XP crashed. Ah well. I’ll try this again tomorrow.

5 Likes

Fun fact, the state bird of Utah is the California seagull.

Unlimited shrimp at Red Lobster?

Does anybody know how the two versions of the DC-3 compare? I have the freeware one but haven’t done much with it yet.