Flying Circus -The Spiritual sequel to RoF!

I’m with you guys on this. I had flown the I 16 in BoS in VR. My expectations were high and I was not disappointed. The Dr1 is fantastic and the Spad was good. Had a blast. I loved the Triwing before and I love it again.
TIP: Use Rudder to turn and use blip switch to initiate left turns.
Fire shot burst and use a Very convenient button to recharge the guns after a few bursts. They Jam a Lot.

2 Likes

I forgot to mention. The only thing missing is the ability to make curves for x & y inputs. It’s no fun holding the stick 45 degrees forward just to keep level. It will come later I guess.

Keen to looking for my first flight in VR aswell.
Long time since my last RoF flight, but it was always fun and challenging :smiley:

4 Likes

Regarding Dr.1 guns: I have the same problem but I believe it’s just the animation on the right gun that’s missing. The dual gun rate of fire seems to be correct. And if one gun jams I get half the rate of fire but only from the left gun. At least I think that’s what is happening but this observation is after just one flight.

1 Like

Both guns seem to be working for me. Frequent jams though.

Speaking of guns…and VR.
I sincerely hope it will be possible to draw your sidearm by gripping a touch controller and using it to aim…! How awesome wouldn’t that be? :scream:

2 Likes

Firing flares at your wingmen :slight_smile:

1 Like

That would be 11 on my scale of awesomeness.

2 Likes

Looks like they reconsidered the discount that Rise of Flight previous purchasers get:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/38497-update-on-rof-users-special-discount-for-flying-circus/

4 Likes

So, I glean that if I own everything on Steam, I buy this via the IL-2 web site and being that my accounts are merged, at some point this content might show up on Steam? But if I want to fly FC now, I do the stand-alone install? -ta

I’ve not really internalized it, but I think the flowchart of how to find the cheese without Steam is in here:

1 Like

Executive summary: At least for now, it appears that FC purchased on the il2sturmovik.com web site can be seen in both the standalone and Steam versions of the sim.

How I know:
Reading this announcement from 30 July, I dutifully went to the web site and bought FC, downloaded and installed the BoM client. All was well.

NOTE: We no longer swap website keys for STEAM keys, so if you wish to own Flying Circus or any other IL-2 product solely on STEAM you will need to wait for the STEAM release at a later date. We do not know at this time if there will be launch discounts for FC, TC or BOBP on STEAM nor do we know the exact release date for these products on STEAM.

Later, referring to the SteamAndIL2AccountGuide.pdf doc that fearless had linked above, I worried that I had messed up my Steam install, because it states that from this point forward, you must only launch the game in Steam.

But guess what? Concurrent installs exist and function fine and the FC aircraft are available in my Steam install. In fact they appear identical. Unfortunately, they share different configuration folders, so you have to setup your controllers in both versions. Just to be sure, I uninstalled the web site client version, and ran Steam version, which was fine. So for Steam users, if your accounts are linked you can still purchase the FC content online, and it will show up in Steam. At least today. Might be getting your cake (early release discount) and eating it too (giving the developer 100% of the purchase) with icing (RoF discount applies), complemented with a west coast IPA (FC available in your Steam install).

To whit, my Steam install of IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad main menu screen…

2 Likes

Dropping this here, hoping that I am in the de facto FC thread. Having begun reading @schurem’s excellent recommendation in the essential book thread, Sagittarius Rising, I’ve begun a quest for GB Flying Circus knowledge. Found this guide in the dedicated IL2 forum, which appears to be most frequented by former RoF devotees. Makes perfect sense, since the latest entry is purported to be mostly ported from the earlier title :grinning:. Not that there is the fire hose to drink from that comes with Hornet, Tomcat, and other complex aircraft mastery. But the experience is no less lethal, nor less visceral. I seem to die with equal regularity in either era.

2 Likes

Interesting. I was quite good in the Albatros back in the RoF days, mostly because I was a pretty goid marksman with those guns. A lot of the rest of the time I was flying the SPAD VII (which I’m really sad we dont have here), pretending I was Eugene Bullard.

1 Like

I really love Flying Circus. Going out of control in a Sopwith camel is terrifying in VR. Gunnery has all the benefits of VR, although I must admit I haven’t trained to the level where I can consistently snipe pilots.

Next patch there’s going to be two seaters! Yay!

I wouldn’t mind at all if FC2 took it back to 1915 and the very first couple generations of fighterplanes. Things like the Fokker Eindecker, the f.e.2b etc.

3 Likes

A couple of weeks ago a few of us from the long-dead IRFC squad spent an hour in a FC multiplayer furball. It was as if none of this intervening lost years had past. WWI is the perfect genre for online VR aerial combat.

2 Likes

I flew FC for a couple of hours in VR last night, and yes, completely agree that it is best consumed that way. I can imagine that that it must be spectacular through the latest gen VR headsets. A continuous symphony of stick, rudder, throttle, trigger, and sound that completely removes you from whatever stresses of the day you or feeling. Can’t wait to fly the Arras map.

3 Likes

How is Flying Circus? Are there many improvements over Rise of Flight?

1 Like

Well as a standalone title it does not compare. Yet.

Its very much WiP. But its the il2 greatest battles engine, so there’s VR, excellent flight modelling and modern graphics to die for.

VR alone is worth the price of admission imo.

3 Likes

Which again is a continuation of the RoF engine… You can trace the lineage in a lot of features, but it has been heavily modified, of course.

I can only agree with what’s already been said.
WWI dogfights are awesome in VR. No complex systems to manage. Just you, your engine and a bunch of wooden sticks, holding up a canvas and a couple of guns.

I really hope they will make a FC vol. 2, and 3, and… :wink:

2 Likes

The skin thread to end all skin threads…

2 Likes