Flying Circus -The Spiritual sequel to RoF!

That’s a good point about how weird and buggy RoF was for most of its existence (at least when it was more heavily played online)… at least in FC the planes don’t change trim depending on whether you’re flying upwind or downwind!

I do like FC - there is nothing better than open cockpit VR, but I’d like it a whole lot more with a decent map and some more historical campaigns to fly through. At least we’re getting the map in this update, the rest will come assuming it remains commercially viable I suppose.

2 Likes

That’s all true. Really I am just angry about the damage model, g-effects and the flight model in some planes. I WILL buy FC 2, etc because flying with my squad will be impossible without it. But I am waiting until release.

2 Likes

If anyone needs to ask wether FC is worth it;

Mic drop

10 Likes

ROFLMAO!

1 Like

All That What GIF by chelsiekenyon

1 Like

Touche’ :no_mouth:

The fun continues…

1 Like

You see how unrealistic that was? No horse crap in the street of that village…Amateurs.

3 Likes

:rofl:
I remember stuff like that happening in RoF too. Yes, it’s utterly unrealistic. I can only imagine that they are working on fixing that.

1 Like

Strong Dr.Zebra vibes!

2 Likes

Jasta 5’s Operation Michael campaign - enlist now - Multiplayer Servers - IL-2 Sturmovik Forum

Tour: Bloody April - Operation Michael / Flying Circus Flugpark (IL2 stats) (jasta5.org)

I might say vile and hateful things about that silly damage model. And heave scorn at the ill-thought and unevenly applied g effects. And stand witness, agog, to bullets that stream laser-like and disbursement-free 500 yards into the cranium of their intended sniped targets.

But today was epic. 30 players against 30 over the course of four hours. And it was beautiful and thrilling. By the end of the debrief I had been at it for nearly 6 hours. I was so tense from swinging that headset left and right with my pencilly little neck that I had to go for a run just to settle the nerves.

I hate Flying Circus and I love it. Nothing else comes close.

7 Likes

Oh how I wish I could get into some MP flying… I know that sounds silly. I could just do it. It’s just that it would be so much easier if everybody else were ready to fly when I am… :wink:

I know those feelings. It’s because I love the positive that I hate the negative, about the sim. It’s easy to become frustrated about many things, regarding RoF/FC. It’s so close to being perfect, that you desperately want the devs to overcome the last few remaining issues. Love and hate are powerful words. But they are appropriate.
I have always loved the Great War era airwar. I grew up on Biggles and devoured any stories I could find about the exploits of Richthofen, Immelmann, Boelcke, Guynemer, Ball, Rickenbacker, etc. So I have enjoyed many WWI flightsims over the years… Knights of the Sky, Flying Corps and several versions of Red Baron.
Naturally I bought the first version of Rise of Flight. Strange name alright, but “made in Russia” makes for some strange translations, sometimes :wink:
It wasn’t half bad. Quite enjoyable, but limited and buggy. Then 777 got involved and things started to improve. And it continued to improve. What a delightful sim RoF became! But after such a long run, there was nowhere else to go. A new flightsim engine was ready, and Flying Circus was born. I remember the anticipation, waiting for the devs to make up their minds about committing to WWI again. I was ecstatic when FC was announced! And then the anticipation of further commitment began. For a long period it could seem like FC vol. I, was the end of the road. I tried to remain positive, because as long as the devs didn’t say they cancelled it, there was still a chance.
So, elation once again when vol. II was announced! So I feel I’m tip-toeing about, trying not to rock the boat, so to speak. FC is pretty much my only ticket to WWI flying in VR. It does sooo many things right, but a few things wrong. And here’s where it’s easy to become disheartened… What if they won’t fix the problems? Will we have to endure these sniper AI rear gunners forever? Will the damage model continue to be like this? Will there be a vol. III? I understand that the developers need to balance their commitments carefully. Nobody is pouring buckets of gold over them, and they have finite resources. All we flightsimmers can do is wait and see. I have decided not to ‘hate’ but remain confident that the devs will pull through for us. That doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t point out our grievances. We should! But as with all things in life, there’s a right and there’s a wrong way of doing things. Unfortunately I see many flightsimmers focusing on hate, and forgetting the love.
I’m glad you brought that up, @smokinhole!

8 Likes

that was a very insightful and interesting reply. I agree with the last part too. Hate and love are very strong words but I think its easier to hate than love. love takes patience and respect and hate is a very simple thing.
Nice post @Troll

5 Likes

Honestly, as much as I wanted RoF in VR (or, as we discussed, Final Version RoF in VR), the joy I feel booting up into an SE5a and just blatting around the sky is worth the headaches.

So I guess I’m not using FC in the same way you guys are, which is why I can’t see it’s faults. I just don’t have time these days for the online sessions like I used to…

2 Likes

I do that as well! :grin:
Even if the Arras map is rather small, it’s big enough for me to get lost. It’s fun to just navigate around the map, visually, under a low overcast.

3 Likes

I always fly my doubledeckers over the rhineland.

7 Likes

Of course you do!
But what about your Tripes…? :wink:

I finally got it yesterday, spent the rest of the evening downloading, but today I finally flew…

This is just sooo much fun!

Yes I have the I-16 in DCS and have flown dogfights in multiplayer with it, in VR, and yes, the graphics on this are soo much worse than DCS, but holy smokes, it works so well!!
I don’t know if it is the extremely low speed, the extremely simple machines, the incredibly easy performance (disclaimer: I flew MSFS VR before this, and haven’t flown DCS in a few days), but this really is awesome.

I haven’t even flown multiplayer (hard to filter which server is WWI), but this was already worth it, as @schurem said. I’ve flown Pfalz D.III (that wing is just awesomely annoying in your face), Fokker Dr.I, Sopwith Camel and it is all so much fun!

The way you can get within shouting distance of an enemy fighter before the clickety-clackety starts is awesome.

Sale lasts 1-2 more days, in case anyone is still on the fence.

5 Likes

7 posts were split to a new topic: Wings Over Flanders Fields (WoFF! WoFF!)

In his latest IL-2 Great Battles information, @777Studios_Jason announced the Sopwith Snipe for Flying Circus, and in doing so, he dropped another interesting tidbit of info…

The Snipe will be the first truly new WWI aircraft we committed to in a long time and this will bring a new combat experience to Flying Circus Volumes II and III.

Now, the continuation of the FC series was alluded to in the announcement of vol. II, but good to see that they are planning ahead!

7 Likes