Fools rush in

As some of you guys know I am a newbie so I want to get into the air ( cold start ). Has anyone have a cheat sheet. I realise all the abbreviations mean something but cant be bothered with most of them.I have checked out the videos on Youtube but find them pretty frustrating, having to rewind so many times. Would be great to have a 1.Press this button 2. Turn that switch left - no the other left. 3. Pull this black and yellow thing. You get the drift ---- surprised they didnt have this option in the game. I’ll bet they lost a lot of custom because of this.

1 Like

Have you checked out @Chuck_Owls guides?

https://www.mudspike.com/chucks-guides-dcs/

5 Likes

Yes! This! Some of the best guides ever made, probably the finest!

1 Like

Most of the modules have really good training missions with guided cold starts as well. They are really interesting mostly and also run you through other systems and things needed to use the aircraft effectively. Well worth running through them a few times. Plus having chucks guides to hand is always a winning combination.
If you search on the ED forums there are lots of downloads for checklists that you could print out. Or put in the in game kneeboard to help you (they will only really help if you have an idea of the layout of the cockpit though so definitely grab @Chuck_Owl guides where you can, they are an incredible learning aid)

Afraid he dosn’t have the Su25

Just trying to start off with the Su25 but he hasnt done one for this yet.

1 Like

The Free su-25 has a very good set of training missions. As does the TF-51 mustang (the other free plane)

Afraid he dosn’t have the basic Frogfoot Su25

DCS SU25T training is a washout - tried it a few times and managed to start down the runway but wouldnt reach takeoff speed -crashes quite a few. Now I try it and cant get engines up and running, starts with 1 flap at 50% and no go all round. This seems like a very very “unforgiving” training module. I have even exited the game several times with things just not setting up properly as it did in the beginning whats the go. Is this a known fault in the Su25 training ???. Does a repair help. Makes me wonder whether I blew $250 for this sim that has heaps of bugs.???.

I’m not sure. I’ve run them recently and not had a problem. Maybe it’s something new or system specific. You could try a repair, it couldn’t hurt. Its definitely worth sticking with it. DCS is a wonderful sim. You could also read the aircraft specific manuals in the dcs folder. Dcs needs a lot of reading to get the best out of it.

Maybe you could upload a track for us to watch? Then we can try to see whats wrong. The Su-25T flies fine for me as well?

I think you might have sorted this out and noted that in the other thread - is that right?

In terms of the “first steps” into DCS, it can be a little confusing but, as others have said, stick with it - it gets a lot more fun!

Do you mainly just want to learn to fly an airplane or are you pretty eager to make things go “boom” asap?

The free Su-25T is what they call “FC3”-level module, which stands for Flaming Cliffs 3. In simple terms, DCS has 2 main categories of aircraft - full fidelity and FC3.

Unlike the “full fidelity” modules, the FC3 aircraft do not have a “clickable” cockpit, i.e. every button has not been modelled to function like in the real aircraft. FC3 aircraft performance, weapons and flight models are (mostly) on par with the full fidelity modules, it’s just the switches and buttons stuff that isn’t there.

Chuck’s guides are made for the full fidelity modules, as these all have unique cockpit controls and you need to learn the full startup procedures etc. to make those aircraft work.

The FC3 aircraft can all be basically started the same way: switch on the electronics and turn on the engines - so there isn’t so much depth to the startup. The manual and YouTube videos will assist with weapons and sensors employment once you get to those.

On the other hand, if you want a great trainer to get the handle of flying (and the Chuck’s guide to go with it) and a bit less “boom”, I would recommend either the L39 Albatros or the C101. These are full fidelity modules you can pick up on sales for $25 (from memory). The cockpits are full fidelity but quite simple to learn and the aircraft are benign to handle, as they are intended for new pilots in real life too.

The Su-25T is the cheapest way to figure out if you like the sim, of course.

1 Like

and to get to grips with configuring the sim. To me, @ahab, it seems that your control configuration is giving you grief.

1 Like

Maybe his brakes are wrongly inverted?

Aye, or double axis assignments, sometimes DCS is a bit weird with default assignments!

1 Like

An absolutely excellent freeware mod is the MB-339 for DCS (it’s so good the team is making a payware version now). It was used as a trainer in several air forces and is easy to fly. Additionally it carries a reasonable weapons load, and is a good COIN aircraft. For the price it’s hard to beat! The DCS version is a clickable cockpit, meaning you don’t have to memorize as many key commands and you manipulate the switches like you would in a real aircraft.

My other recommendations for clickable cockpit aircraft are (in order of complexity): F-86 Saber, F-5 Tiger, M2000.

The F-86 is a relatively simple aircraft, easy to fly, land, in general fly around the sky in. Weapons employment is simple, barely a step above the WW2 technology in the P-51 (you can mess with the missiles, but don’t expect much). It is however very versatile, capable of A2A and A2G. If you wanted a bird that is easy to pick up an learn, but takes some time to master the F-86 is an excellent choice.

The F-5 is a bit more complex, as it adds radar and actual workable IR missiles. Again it is an easy to fly AC, that is a bit hotter during landing, and has higher performance than the F-86. Real world the F-5’s cousin the T-38 is used for supersonic training, and is basically the step before modern fighters. The F-5 shares many of the T-38’s benign handling characteristics. With that said, the F-5 is still an outstanding fighter, and a competent pilot can cause a lot of problems for even modern jets at knife fight range. The F-5 makes an solid A2G platform, though weapon employment is purely manual, but it requires solid flying skills to make it happen, and will teach you how to do it well. I really enjoy flying the F-5, and the module is extremely well done.

Lastly in terms of complexity is the M2000, which is a full bore modern interceptor. The complexity is all there with a working inertial navigation system (INS), A2A radar, computers, radios, fly by wire etc. The Mirage does have the advantage of being highly computerized which helps you stay in control of the AC much easier, and recover when you do get it sideways. However for some, this computer help makes them feel much less connected to the aircraft and they don’t like it. The Mirage while primarily an A2A interceptor, does have a limited A2G capability which includes modern CCIP/CCRP computerized attack modes. The Mirage is basically about as complex as I’d recommend a new player start with, it has more then enough modes, buttons, etc to keep you occupied for a while to learn it, but it doesn’t require any more hardware outlays (HOTAS, button boxes, etc) that other modules like the A-10 do to fly and fight it at full potential.

If you already have or willing to get the hardware or if you’d like to really just deep dive on one platform that can do everything the F-18 or F-16 would be my recommendation. Both are highly capable A2A platforms, and both are highly capable fully featured A2G platforms as well.

While I have exclusively recommended NATO platforms, that is due to the fact the Soviet aircraft are usually very niche specific, and we don’t currently have a clickable cockpit version of any of their newer more multirole aircraft. Also older Soviet aircraft are 
 quirky, and not the simplest to operate.

1 Like

It is indeed an excellent freebie. I have played older flights sims ( way way) back but DCS is a new level having most of the things I always wished for. however a lot of people on this site want or need an absolute exact flight model ( maybe they should join the airforce ). I have given the game a lot of leeway and dont expect the world. If however there are major flaws I dont this is good as you wouldnt expect it in any other game, But this seems to be quite a complex route to take for the developers. Anyhow my joystick was the problem but all sorted. I have everything at default on the config menu except upping the graphics to see if my computer will suffice before I lash out on hardware. The only thing giving me grief is the throttle which as I said is either all or nothing ,I wouldnt expect this for a training sample.-- Thanks for your input.

Already bought a few modules as on special here in Oz. AV8B, Hornet, FC3,Syria,Supercarrier and Flanker. Hope they should last me a while. Can’t say I am into prop aircraft at the moment but the freebie one may stir me up. With the complexity of these games I think DCS has gone overboard a bit but certainly has the run on competitors from what I can see. I also like the look of the A10 and Mirage but might splurge a bit down the track. Managed to take off and “nearly land” with the SU25 but driving me nuts with the keyboard. Thanks for your reply.

Seems like you start hard and go simple Lol. Am getting there slowly. Havnt seen a chucks guide yet for the SU25, its not up there with the main ones, I’ll keep on looking though.

This is a hobby for all of us. We’re all pretty passionate about aircraft and the complexity is a plus for most of us as it lets us get a taste of what the real aircraft is like to operate. Its not a case of “join the airforce” for people with disabilities or personal reasons. Some of us just love the process of learning what makes our favourite fighter aircraft tick.
I personally love learning how to start a full fidelity fighter from cold and dark on the ramp. I enjoy reading the books and training manuals that are available and the effort involved is pretty hard work sometimes but the payoff is totally worth it. Its not like a pick up and play game like ‘ace combat’, you can play it like that of course but to get the best out of it and you sound like you have put quite a lot of money into it, its worth taking the time to read up and learn about the planes you’ve bought. Especially the harrier and hornet. As they almost need a real life type rating to get the best out of them. They are awesome modules once you break through the learning barrier though. I am sure you will get used to it and learn to love DCS as much as us! Its a fantastic simulator. A proper thrill ride!