Forrestal Carrier Update

Animated GIF

Now you too can have SH-3s on your deck thanks to some resourceful users and the long lost SH-3 model.

3 or 4 posts down you can find the instructions, its fairly straight forward. Though it was on line 1886 for me.

Just tested it and it works.

5 Likes

8 Likes

Couldnā€™t be worse than the AI Phantom II. Probably penned on the same digital sketch pad.

1 Like

My bug-bear is the ancient S3. Having to stare at the butt of that, with its 7 triangles is a shame given how good everything else looks. Iā€™m usually pretty tense refueling as well. :sweat:

3 Likes

dont worry, my last act of DCS flying tonight was to shoot my own S3 down in frustration followed by a wildly optimistic approach while flamed out and a frankly epic ramp strike.

3 Likes

Donā€™t have to stare at it, if you canā€™t AAR.

Think About It Reaction GIF by Identity

3 Likes

quickly scrambles to find Tomcat liveries of Forrrestal deployments with more than one modex number

1 Like

A couple of months ago, @jross resurrected the original SH-3 mod and edited some LUA so that it would work with 2.7. I added the RAF and RN skins, although wasnā€™t talented enough to fix the flipped DANGER placard. Here shepherding the HMS Hermes.

3 Likes

I very much like the Forrestal, especially the relative challenge (relative to others, perhaps significant for myself!) of landing on a postage stamp in an F-14A. It looks very pretty and the wake especially looks great!

The thing is, I canā€™t function any more without the deck crew. Literally donā€™t have the controls mapped to hook up and launch, since I use VA and the SC exclusively anymore. Itā€™s sad, but Iā€™m ruined.

Hereā€™s hoping that HB and ED will come to an agreement. I think it would increase the value proposition for the SC at no cost to ED, and HB could perhaps make the deck crew only included if you own SC, or somethingā€¦ I feel like when I was nine and my parents had a disagreement, asking why we canā€™t all get a long? :crazy_face:

5 Likes

Reflected has a nice in-depth review of the Forrestal with a link to the mission he uses in the video.

4 Likes

HB again went above and beyond. Such a beautiful new carrier. I love it :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Is there a trick to getting the carrier to turn on deck lights during Case ! landing? There are times of day when itā€™s impossible to see the deck angle.

2 Likes

Yeah, we need Pilot-Controlled Lighting in DCS, in the comms menu somewhere. Same problem at airfields, and in reality the PAPI/VASI is always on, and you can ask for lights up/down or whatever you need.

3 Likes