I had to shift one panel a bit to get the two halves of the fuselage to fit around the cockpit. Had not looked carefully enough at instructions.
Also had problems getting one of the intake pieces to fit tightly. I tried filing a part down but really needed a hole/slot to be deeper. Solved that by putting some glue (which is actually solvent) into it and then aggressively moving a knife around in there. It fit perfectly after that!
Today I did a lot of little paint tests on pieces of sprue to see what all my grey, metallic and blue hues look like when painted onto plastic. Aluminium is light and clean, gunmetal grey is dark and dirty, but not nice as a first layer.
I did not do any priming btw. Maybe next build will be different, but this time I just cleaned the sprues in warm water and dishwashing soap before starting the build. I read that people have good experience with that.
In the meantime, I filled the gaps at the top of the wing root with plastic putty, this time with masking tape. I did it sloppily for the engine intake parts earlier. Only realized halfway through that scraping should be done with the masking tape still on. It’ll be fine, happy accidents and smelly solvents is what this is.
The two kits’ instructions, and people on the internet, are all split whether the Mirage F1s in French service had an aluminium (shiny) colored underside or a matt light grey one. I decided on aluminium for the bottom of this one.
Doing a little experiment to see if my hand painted lines or masked lines are cleaner.
I let 2 layers of aluminium paint dry on the fuselage before realizing I could have done the wings at the same time. Did put a single layer on the wings before calling it a day.
Must have. @Clutch mentioned on Discord that he couldn’t find it either. I have a Phantom that I’m trying to rescue. But haven’t built a kit in 44 years, literally. Hands are none too steady these days Would let a pro fix it, but can’t risk losing it. So, going to take a shot at repairing it myself. Undercarriage is crunched, some weapons and the left horizontal stab are loose, and pitot tube is missing. I don’t even know what folks use for cement these days. I’m sure that it’s not Testors in a tube.
The truth is that I was vicariously enjoying the last thread, but never thought that I’d build again due to the shakes. Then my mom gave me dad’s F-4E Phantom that a friend built for him back in the late 70s.
Nah we can keep at least my posts separate. I think it makes sense to have my beginner’s journey in a separate thread from Clutch’s art works.
This is mostly about showing mistakes and learning whereas the big topic is more of a display place