FSX@War released

So I’m not too informed on this…but the basic gist is that this is a campaign type engine for FSX that integrates with TACPack to provide for a war environment. I’m sure there are lots of constraints, but what they’ve done appears to be pretty interesting.

2 Likes

Interesting. I hope it runs better than the Convoy Planner did, I had some issues with it crashing.

Yeah. I think @WAR is in it’s infancy…but they have plans to make it more robust. I mean, I don’t think it will have the fluidity or environment of DCS, but it does have some interesting features.

Im pretty sure @war has been in its infancy for like 4 years.

2 Likes

Hello,

I am part of the FSX@War team, missions designer.

FSX@War is basically a freeware program that will spawn objects in the FSX/P3D environnement that can be damaged or destroyed using the TacPack weapons. These objects composed strategic sites: refineries, airports, ammunition storages for example which means that you can partially or totally destroy an enemy SAM site for example.

For now the only theatre that is available is Libya but some more theatres and campaigns will be released in the next months, the next in line is Afghanistan in 2-4 months.

The main objective of FSX@War is to provide a dynamic campaign engine. It is ambitious and it will be long. But we will release it step by step so users can expect a major update every 3-6 months.

FSX@War is also an editor, that’s mainly the reason why the development took so long: everything we have provided for the Libya theatre is accessible to all users, so everyboy can build his own theatre where he wants and share it with the community if he wishes to do so.

For now FSX@War only manages static targets while CCP (Carrier and Convoy Planner) manages mobile units. So both programs are complementary and using both will really improve your flights experience. Therefore a campaign based on the Unified Protector operation is available and any one can use it as long as he has downloaded CCP and FSX@War.

As for the stability of CCP, they have been some known issues and I hope all have been fixed in the current version (1.3.3.0).
@boomerang10, if you still experience crash, please report it on our REDACTED. Reporting issues is the only way for us to fix the program assuming we didn’t already notice your issue.

As for FSX@War being in its infancy, it mostly depends on the aspect you are considering. Spawning the strategic sites is a very robust part while the mission briefing part is still in development, there is no proper briefing interface at the moment for example. But we will continue to improve it.

FSX@War is not DCS, you are not going to see this year AI aircrafts that can engage and destroy the users. But FSX/P3D and FSX@War have their own advantages: you can fly whereever you want in the world, developers have access to a royalty-free SDK which ensure developments as well as some free stuff sometimes for the users. As a side note, some users don’t really care about AI aircrafts because they are flying in multiplayer and they can fly humans versus humans missions.

Therefore I don’t consider FSX@War as a competitor of DCS. There are some polemical discussions about FSX@War being worse or better than DCS or trying to steal part of DCS consumer base. We do that for free, we develop what we would like to fly in and we share it with other people because most may not have time or ability to build their own addon. Really, FSX@War is more an alternative than a competitor. It has other features, other advantages, other theatres… it is not really possible to compare both products. BTW, I am working on FSX@War but that doesn’t prevent me to fly sometimes in DCS and to enjoy it.

Feel free to contact me if some of you have questions or are interested by the project and would like to contribute.

Regards.

Bovsam

6 Likes

I gave FSX@War a brief spin the other night, and I must say, I was very impressed with what I saw. Rolling in on a target that was not just the lone SA-2 site in the Superbug was shockingly refreshing. I hope you and your team keep up the good work! :+1:

4 Likes

Sorry to chime in and bother but for an owner like me of just FSX on Steam what could be a good way to begin using FSX@War?

Bovsam,

are there any plans to develop AI fighting planes? And if yes, how far are we from having them our FSX/P3D enviroment?

Komeimiute,

u just need TacPack + Superbug from VRS. I’m almost sure that with latest patches is completely compatible with Steam FSX.

Brilliant! Thanks!

Tbear,

There are plans to develop AI aircrafts fighting in A/A, in fact we are exploring two way of doing it. I can’t say how far we are because it is a very complex topic and it also depends on the level of intelligence you are expecting. BVR logic would not be too hard to implement but missile avoidance as well as dogfight is very complex. If/when we are able to come with a proper aerial combat logic, it will probably be very basic at the beginning and then improved. So I definitely can’t give you any ETA, it is a long term objective.

Generally speaking, we are working side by side with VRS to add some new content, so it also depends on what they are planning and their priorities.

I am aware of the necessity of bringing offensive IA aircrafts for SP, so I will try to speed up the things as much as I can.

As for AI aircrafts fighting in A/G, we are already able to make them drop bombs in scripted missions. We are going to implement it to CCP asap so that everyone can spawn an AI aircraft that drops bombs on a target.
As for missile that should be straight in line once bombs are properly implemented.

1 Like

Hi everyone,

A new major theatre has just been released for FSX@War. This one covers Afghanistan. Four airbases have been accurately modelized: Bagram, Kandahar, Kunduz and Shindand. There are also about 40 terrorist key positions and some more strategic sites that belong to the coalition. Two complex missions are also provided.

See here for more details and download link: REDACTED

Hope you will enjoy it. :wink:

A few pictures:

3 Likes