Game Deals & Book thread

Free today (which is a reasonable game deal I guess) - Vertiginous Golf

“A dystopian steampunk golf game.”. Ok.

EDIT: Quick review - a fun game probably good in MP with beer, featuring a robotic scout bird, 19th century VR seats and mini-golf. What’s not to like…

Yay, golf?

I was told there was golf. Bzzzzzt.

Robot bird, floating courses and (finally) a bit of mini golf.

I’ll have what they’re having.

Why, I’ll have one too. Bought. Err…well, downloaded. Bought doesn’t apply.

I also had a go at this - don’t know if I’ll like it or not. Oddly enough - it’s a physical copy (Amazon Prime delivery in 2 days), so I bought two copies, one for me, one for my Dad. From what I gather, they will come with a UPlay code… It was around $10 yesterday…but now I see it is up to $13. Weird how Amazon prices seem to be like a stock market and can change as you refresh the page…

http://www.amazon.com/The-Crew-PC/dp/B00KVKOF9Q

“It’s here…” (said in creepy voice)

:jack_o_lantern: Steam Halloween Sale :jack_o_lantern:

Things that might be of interest to the Mudspike crowd:

Rise of Flight deep discounts:

DCS World discounts:

IL2: BoS 50% off still:

Alien: Isolation (although has been 75% off before):

Cities: Skyline is nice (not very scary though, unless you pay property tax):smile:

Bioshock Triple pack (not bad deal, all quite nice):

Seriously thinking of pulling the trigger on ARK. Not quite sure though.

I’ve heard good things, in that content updates have been pretty constant. It probably works best in a group though. I’m put off as I think it needs some time for grinding. Some gameplay broadcasts here:

FlyJSims is having a sale for X-Plane - their products are fantastic (I have the 737, Dash 8, and 727)…

BeachAV8R

2 Likes

Hows the Navigation in the 727? No FMC right?

No…no FMC… Just green needles unless you want to use the CIVA add-in…

http://flyjsim.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/214-civa-inertial-navigation-system-in-the-727/

BeachAV8R

So without the CIVA you basically just dail in Frequencies and fly to them?

That CIVA is beautiful, by the way. They’ve really gone through great pains to make it an incredibly accurate model. The alignment is all canned, which is OK, but the drift, the modes, the error codes, the inflight DME alignment updates - just amazing.

1 Like

:smiley: Just like the old days. Vectors to intercept Victor or Jet Airways - then just keep the needle centered and reset at each midpoint or station passage. There are still a few planes navigating that way too…

1 Like

Last few hours for ARK, if you guys are still on the fence, I’d say get it. had it since July, spent quite a few hours on it. easy to set a server up for yourself or with some friends. 2 rulesets to choose from; caveman ( hmm, I need a weapon, should I go for a spear? or bow and arrows?) or the traditional rules ( hmm, I need a weapon, perhaps a .338 lapua magnum sniper? or a machine gun?) I personally think it’s great the game caters to both playstyles. it was a bit hard on me that I finally made some sort of primitive weapon on RUST and then have people pulling out sniperscoped and lasersight equiped weapons.

In my opinion the difficulty is about just right. you’ll start of on the beach of this huge island. On the beach and typically the grasslands just behind it are not very threatening, the only carnivore that roams these areas is the dilophosaurus ( the one that killed the fat guy in the first jurassic park movie!). Eventually, you’ll want to head inlands for the better resources you can find there, and take trips to the bottom of the ocean for rare materials that can be found there as well. This will gradually expose yourself to greater dangers.

the game seems to scale pretty well also. at first youll struggle to keep yourself fed ( you can pluck some berries so you can atleast eat something before you made your first kill ) and to keep a fire going to keep yourself warm throughout the night. However as you progress it will become possible to kill big game that drops enough meat to provide for days, it’s even possible to build a fridge to conserve this. As for the fire, it’s possible to mix some components to make fuels with an extremely long burn time. What this means is that, while intially challenging, it’s possible to set such tasks aside without them becoming a chore when you set your mind on greater goals.

Like the ESRB says, expierence may vary or change during online play. people can group up in organisations called tribes and work together to build epic bases with numerous facilities. People also mount their T-Rex and mow up and down the island to kill anything that moves for the “lulz”, and even on servers where PKing ( player killing ) is disabled people do everything like building close to you or leading hostile dino’s in your base just to get on your nerves. it’s expierences like the latter that keeps me away from online servers in games like this.

I think that going primal on teamspeak yelling LULULULU when taking out big prey with friends is one of the most engaging expierences I had in a computergame outside of flying planes and helicopters.

2 Likes

anyone have any expierence with savage lands? http://store.steampowered.com/app/307880/?l=dutch

Does Compton, CA count?

This looks like a pretty good deal - some throwaways in there…but for Spintires and Euro Truck Sim 2 at the $9 level is very good. Throw in some stuff that isn’t down my alley, but appear to be pretty good like Insurgency, Men of War, and Contagion and that is a nice bundle:

1 Like

Yeah, was looking at that myself.

Insurgency and Contagion are fine MP games (slower, more realistic stuff) but both will suffer a bit if their community grows much smaller over time. The recent Insurgency big update did add a nice co-op campaign, so it’ll still be fun.

For the money, the pack is a good deal.

Damn good deal.

I have the Emelda Marcos’ shoe problem of ‘Do I need a second pair of these?’. :smile:

2 Likes