Game Deals & Book thread

Aw man, it looks like you automatically clip into the quick-draws. You’re missing out on the super-authentic experience of feeling your grip strength in one hand bleed away as you’re trying to clip and the *@#$ing lower gate dangles around every time you try to put the rope through. :smiley:

I was quick to dismiss a lot of the ‘extreme’ titles coming out in VR for action sports for the same reason, but I think you gotta face the fact that not everyone has the means (financially, physically) or desire to do that in real life. And hey- wouldn’t surprise me if games like this inspired more than one kid to google climbing gyms or areas near them.

1 Like

Hmm, well if you can’t afford going to a bouldering gym or don’t have the means of transport to do it outdoors, then you’ll be hard pressed to afford a PC that runs decent VR.

Physically, yes, fair point of you are disabled, as for people with no disabilities who lack the fitness, they would benefit greatly (physically and mentally) from doing real sports instead of virtual ones.

For me this is the same argument as with guitar hero. Yes, learning a real instrument is harder than pressing buttons on a controller, but the reward is far greater.

I see your point.
Then again, ten years ago I played Guitar Hero.
Eight years ago I started playing bass guitar and now I play both bass and guitar, which is what I did in Guitar Hero ten years ago.

As stupid as it may seem right now, it will draw people into the hobby which is a good thing in the end

1 Like

The Climb is fun, but there is no way in hell I would do extreme climbing in real life. I would also not jump out of a perfectly good airplane by choice. Each to their own though I guess.

2 Likes

Why not?

If you’ve never tried it, you most likely have a very warped perception oft the risks involved with free climbing (mind you, i’m not talking about soloing, the latter is almost a different sport).

I would (and have done) some very light local crag climbing with established routes. Those are all drilled and bolted and super secure. I’ve never done a lead climb. (All mine have been top rope protected). If I had more experience I would do one on a well established/bolted route, but I wouldn’t do one where I’m putting my own protection in (like cams and stuff). I’ve seen too many movies. :smiley:

You should! In an easy route with experienced supervision the first times, that is. You do learn bucket loads when climbing lead, stuff that you don’t learn otherwise. Also the mental component does make it more interesting, even if on a well protected route it isn’t any more dangerous than following (everything being well executed, that is).

Cams/Friends are comparatively easy to place. Placing nuts/hexes/etc. is an art form though. I’m with you in that i prefer styles of climbing where falling in lead does not pose significant risks of at least medium injury. As with everything, trad/clean can be learned, but you need to stay way below of what you are physically capable of, and the residual risk of things happening that are out of your control are certainly higher.

2 Likes

New Humble Bundle came out yesterday.

Does anybody still play Rising Storm 2: Vietnam? I know quite a few Mudspikers got it when it came out. Did it die off?

2 Likes

Raises hand, singing “Fortunate Son”

1 Like

I know it’s a bit… unedulcorated… harsh… darkly humorous… but there’s a special giveaway for Carmageddon.

Plus amazing deal on the originals…

Worth a look?

2 Likes

OK… so…* clears throat * uhm…

And in case you still have money in your wallet…

No seriously- that Bundle if frakking phenomenal. :open_mouth:

1 Like

If horror is your taste Amnesia is for free at Humble Bundle!

Has anyone any good books suggestions for armor combat beginning with 73 Easting and up until Operation Dorset?

PC Aviator is offering a free MegaScenery Earth v3 Guam for any orders in February. I don’t know how good/bad MegaScenery Earth is (I think it is basically like ortho for each state?) but I’ll get the chance to check it out with the free download since I’ll be ordering something today. I got a $5 coupon burning a hole in my pocket…so I’ll find something for sale that I’ll probably never use.

2 Likes

Interesting new Strategy bundle + heavily discounted on GOG.COM!
Close Combat series!
https://www.gog.com/promo/20180206_launch_promo_close_combat

1 Like

I had either CC1 or 2 on my Mac many years ago when there weren’t many games on Macs and loved it, very hard but good. I may get a couple of these, thanks for the heads up.

1 Like

I just ordered this, but haven’t cracked it open yet.

https://www.amazon.com/Warriors-Rage-Great-Battle-Easting/dp/1591145333/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1518015920&sr=8-1&keywords=Warrior's+Rage%3A+The+Great+Tank+Battle+of+73+Easting

1 Like

GUYS! NEWS FLASH SALES EVERY HOUR! Only on GOG.COM!

The first will give you for free King of Fighters 2002!

Guys… I hate to have you depart from your cash but…

For under 10$ you get
Homeworld Remastered Edition
Homeworld 2 Remastered Edition
Homeworld Remastered Multiplayer

As a bonus, you will also receive free access to:
Homeworld Classic
Homeworld 2 Classic

1 Like