Game Deals & Book thread

Great GOG.COM sale!

Trine is great.
Except the third part, people say it sucks so I haven’t played it.

1 Like

Shadowrun Hong Kong is an excellent game, take all the good stuff from Dragonfall and move it east.

1 Like

Heh, some people complained there was “too much to read!”… in an RPG game!
It’s a gem.

Both Hong Kong and Dragonfall were text heavy. Not that I minded, but I can see it for folks who are a bit more into action and less on story. I’m very glad to see someone do something with the Shadowrun IP, it was a favorite of mine in my younger days.

1 Like

The Witness for free from the ‘Yet Another Game Store App’ Epic Games.

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/the-witness/home

I really enjoyed playing through it, a nice mysterious vibe and good brain food - recommended if you have even a light interest in puzzles.

1 Like

:slight_smile: YISSS!
Incoming!

Project CARS 2 70% OFF

https://www.indiegala.com/store/product/project-cars-2/378860?utm_source=MailingList&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=SOLAR+BLAZE+BUNDLE+2019+04+19

plus some GamersGate 2K deals:

There is Active Sky XP on sale on XP store

https://store.x-plane.org/Active-Sky-XP_p_954.html

3 Likes

Anyone able to provide feedback review on this if they have it? I know the fsx version was very popular.

2 Likes

I am also on the ’ not yet purchased ’ side.

But @Fridge or @PaulRix ( or anyone else oc :slight_smile: ) could you share some thoughts about it?

It works pretty much the same as the FSX/P3D version. There is no CloudArt add-on yet, but they include some replacement textures in hi and low res. All of the other tools are there AFAIK, like flight planning, favorites, and the map. Very happy with it so far.

3 Likes

ActiveSky XP is pretty cool. But I do not have enough time with the default X-Plane weather to determine if it is a great addon. I have been using it for the Air Race AAR thread but that is pretty much the limit of me X-Plane cockpit time. It downloads the weather into the sim, can use historical weather and was recently updated - which were, pretty much, the criteria that I had when I bought it over its contemporaries.

I am having some issues understanding the weather that I am importing. I am planning out my flights with an eye on the weather but I always seem to encounter weather that is not ‘as forecast’. I am not sure if that is me, the sim, ActiveSky or an interaction of the three :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I would add that when I did fly X-plane before (a year ago and of limited time) I noticed the ring of clouds around me that X-plane generates in the cloud scenery. ActiveSky XP has mostly removed that and that is welcome. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I have X-Enviro, FSGRW and Active Sky. Initially I was a big fan of X-Enviro. Unfortunately it seems to have taken a few backward steps and i haven’t heard of any recent updates.

FSGRW was next and, combined with Ultra Weather XP for cloud textures and environmental visual effects, it looks really nice.

I picked up Active Sky out of curiosity because a lot of people were saying how it was going to be the new standard. I have to say I do like it a lot. The user interface is easy to navigate, the map display gives a good indication of the weather over a wide area and you can use historic weather if you so choose. I still use Ultra Weather XP for cloud textures etc, at least for the time being, and Active Sky is the weather injector I have settled with for the past several months now.

I hope that helps a little.

7 Likes

I think I’ll pick this up (Active Sky XP). Maybe. I dunno. I’m pretty happy with SkyMaxx although I still don’t understand why Real Weather Connector is a separate product. It works good for low level, bush type flying…but I’ve found at high altitude, the draw distance makes it look like you are flying in a bubble of depicted clouds. Does Active Sky XP draw clouds to the horizon even at high altitude?

1 Like

It’s pretty good. I picked it up and used it for a first flight today. The visuals are restricted to what Xplane can do, but the tool injector is pretty good.

Just did a Zibo 738, Pilot2Atc, World Traffic 3 and Active Sky XP all together for the first time all in VR (with flight set-up in desktop first). Working really well so far and so nice to have complex ATC, traffic and moving weather fronts.

2 Likes

I wish someone would do a weather FX plugin for DCS. Layered clouds, cumulonimbus, all that jazz.

3 Likes

I don’t know. I am confused about ActiveSky XP but I wanted something more than the default weather depiction. It works but I keep getting weird results. Just a minute ago, over India, I had clear skies snap to reduced visibility haze over an airfield that snapped back to clear once I was past it. Weird. I expected ActiveSky XP to ‘temper’ those abrupt changes but I am likely just wrong. I did purchase Ultimate Weather XP (which is supposed to work good with ActiveSKy XP) because the depiction of the sun on the water (by default) was … weird :slight_smile:

As I typed this I popped back into haze :slight_smile:

I know that there is work being done on this for later versions of X-Plane 11 (Vulcan graphics and all) and I know that ActiveSky developers plan on addressing some things after that release.

1 Like

I’ve found the same, so you’re not wrong. :slight_smile: The transition between weather cells is pretty rough, even if you do put a route/altitude/speed to ActiveSky (which I thought would be the ‘killer feature’ of a 3rd party weather injector, to place weather ahead of you for better transitions).

I like it for the layers and the historical weather feature, but the visualization and transition stuff is pretty basic so far.

1 Like