Half-Life: Alyx

March 2020

3 Likes

Just found out all Valve Index owners gets it for free, wohoo :smiley:
And same goes if you only bought the Index controllers.

2 Likes

I am probably in the 1% who gives zero about this

3 Likes

Well, if itā€™s just half as good as the hype surrounding it, itā€™s going to sell a lot of Vr headsets.

1 Like

This is very big news for me as I am a huge Half-Life fan :slight_smile: I still remember how a brought home the original Half-Life some 21 years ago. I had a copy for me and one for a friend reserved at our games store and kept checking in daily for the release day. Playing that game was a defining moment of my youth.

Considering this will be VR, I wonder how I will handle room scale. I donā€™t have the space in my computer room for stand-up VR and moving the whole PC to the living room everytime to play this seems very impractical. I also wonder how well this will work with the Reverb (controllers and awful tracking). Considering my subpar expieriences I had with the Reverb so far, perhaps I would have been better served with going for the Index insteadā€¦

3 Likes

Iā€™m very disappointed that itā€™s VR-only. Maybe it was fun for the developers, but itā€™s useless to those of us who arenā€™t going to do VR.

Remember 10 years ago when this thing called 3D TV was coming out? Blurays would have it, you could watch just like in the theater.

Where is it now? Oh, thatā€™s right, people didnā€™t want to have to put on a $5 pair of light plastic glasses on their face. It was too much hassle, even when the TVs and players that supported it didnā€™t cost any more than the ones that didnā€™t, you literally only had the cost of the cheap glasses and to pay a few bucks more per bluray when you bought them.

This isnā€™t even that unobtrusive. Shoving something on your head that will make you itch like a hat does but has less tolerance for reaching under and scratching because youā€™ve got things in your hands? The whole thing is unwieldy and while there are benefits, there were also to 3D TV and thatā€™s dead.

Those of us who still have the TVs, players, and glasses are hard pressed to get anything that way anymore, we have to buy imported Blurays on Amazon to get it, and then we donā€™t get the 4K UHD version, unless we double-dip and buy BOTH.

So VR will be niche-only and likely short-lived, just like 3D TV. Iā€™m not inclined to take another trip down the rabbit hole of a tech that will get me hooked and then die out.

4 Likes

I very much doubt VR will go the same way as 3D TV, the two techs do not compare at all to say the least. The primary difference I think is the sense of presence VR brings, 3D never did that. And, there are plenty of professional uses for it too, Architects and real estate agents have really taken to it around here for example.
But, itā€™s no use arguing about it really, only time will tell.

3 Likes

So will this be the first AAA VR only title or is it just a well funded VR game within one of the game industryā€™s best known IPs?

It certainly could be a system seller.

Iā€™m not into shooters and wonā€™t buy it but Iā€™m interested how it will be received by the community.

2 Likes

The technical term is ā€œKiller Appā€ :wink:

grafik

4 Likes

VRā€¦Onlyā€¦:rage::rage::rage:

Iā€™ll just get my walletā€¦

2 Likes

I loved Half Life and Blue Shift. But I havenā€™t even played HL2 yet!

2 Likes

You reallyā€¦really ought to. Me and my boy finished it recently and its just sublime even after all these years

1 Like

Iā€™m kind of stuck with how to respond ā€¦ a simple Borge ā€œResistance is futile.ā€ or something more nuanced, perhaps a line or two from the necromancers about the underverse in The Chronicles of Ridickā€¦ā€ Heā€™s not a man. Heā€™s ā€¦seen the UnderVerse and returned with powers you canā€™t imagine.ā€ā€¦which was kind of how I felt the first time I used VR. :wink:

3 Likes

I agree, completely!
VR is awesome! Not just for flightsims, but especially for flightsims.
Iā€™d be having trouble going on simming without itā€¦ Which is why I hope @JediMaster is wrong about it dying. The jury is still out. Sure, there are more VR users every day, but itā€™s not even close to the numbers needed for a sustainable market.
In any case, I am happy to have been a VR user, for as long as it lasts.

1 Like

Well when you compare the price of TrackIR to some of the cheaper VR headsetsā€¦itā€™s really down to your GPU or which GPU you can afford if buying new.

@Franze was just telling me in Discord that TrackIR (no pro clip) is $150 still while a Odyssey+ was $250.

So to newer users, TrackIR may not even be great value for money if your system can already handle VR.

2 Likes

Good point!
And I guess most PCā€™s of today can handle VRā€¦
Still, TrackIR has its place in flightsims, I think. If VR flops, I hope Natualpoint is on the ball and makes a TrackIR 6 with improved tracking, because TIR5 with a TrackClip Pro is nothing compared to the tracking of VR headsets.

I know that for me (and I suspect many others) money IS the deciding factor, more than some ā€˜resistanceā€™ā€¦

Price just dropped this afternoon to $230.

1 Like

I hope it doesnā€™t die out. Only thing Iā€™m not convinced about Is every single person who has tried my oculus has had severe motion sickness. Except my mum to be fair. Mum loved it :joy: and me obviously