Heatblur: AJS-37 Viggen

Yeah it either uses bleed-air from it’s compressors or its exhaust to spin-up the blades.

There is no bleed air system in the exhaust, that is the final stage before the air leaves the engine. I suppose you are talking about the LPT and HPT? Here air is introduced to form a protective film on the blades and ceramic material in the hopes of keeping the flames away from it(hint: it doesn’t always work). No bleed air systems are included the.

A gasturbine engine usually starts by having a air-start device that is usually no more then a duct leading into a simple turbine that spins a axle that is connected to the Accessory Gearbox and Transfer(Or Bevel, seen both used) Gearbox. This axle uses a few fancy gears to connect to the first stage or fan of the Low Power Compressor(sometimes know as the Booster) or the Fan, depending on the design(keyword in engines :wink: ). This creates a airflow in the combustion chamber that then introduces a spark, this spark will keep on lighting until the engine is fully self sustained.

After a good compression is read and the spark is doing its thing fuel gets introduced. This triggers a cascade of events that stress the engine significantly. First of all the fuel ignites in the ignition chamber, creating a hot flame that is directed towards the High Power Turbine(HPT), this one is usually connected by axle to the HPC, so the airpressure entering the ignition chamber is increased. This pretty much continues in the same with the low power compressor/turbine too. The Low Power set is usually used to power the accessory things like oil and hydraulic pumps, electrical generators and whatever you fancy bolting on there.

The initial compressed airflow can be supplied by external compressors(cars, gate utilities etc), chemical reactions, or internal compressor(APU).

Stages of most engines: Inlet > Fan > Low Power Compressor > High Power Compressor > Combustion Chamber > High Power Turbine > Low Power Turbine > Exhaust(choked, variable etc).

So many options, so little time :wink:

That is a LOT of various places where something could go wrong. Originally I thought the GST was essentially an APU but I suppose its more akin to a car starter with how it interacts with the electrical system. But you and the manual proved me wrong! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Hey, I love gas turbines, so much impressive engineering and fun stuff to learn about!

1 Like

If you do look at the British Princess flying boat made by Saunders Roe!

1 Like

Bunyap finally did it :smiley:

10 Likes

Really nice intro flight video - good job @bunyap2w1 :thumbsup:

5 Likes

Great Video. I’m so excited about this aircraft. This love affair started when I first saw the ECSI model back in the early 80s. I went to the Flygvapenmuseum in Linkoping (pronounced Ling-shopping) in 2013. There I saw my first real life Viggen. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think that one day I would be learning to fly this in DCS. Just goes to show how life can surprise you sometimes.

2 Likes

Pre-ordered. :slight_smile: . I’m so weak.

2 Likes
10 Likes

Look at you, fancy watermarking the video! Mudspike is growing up! :wink:

4 Likes

We were noticing some…cough…unattributed images out there…

5 Likes

Incredible, @EinsteinEP!

Do you control the missile with the stick, or with slewing keys?

Very interesting weapon system, should be fun to employ in an early 70s scenario.

2 Likes

The Rb-05 gets its own “control unit” in the Viggen, which is a funky looking little joystick unit on the right side of the cockpit.

It has four inputs - up, down, left, right. In the build I have, this is only mappable to keys, but given how the weapon works, it wouldn’t surprise me if the actual weapon system only got single commands (up,down,left,right) and not analog commands in each axis, which would make slewing key inputs a representative control scheme.

It’s easy enough to fly, although getting the knack of guiding the missile onto the target takes some practice. It’s extremely difficult to fly the aircraft AND guide the Rb05 in at the same time, so autopilot is a must. That with the short effective range of the weapon means this is only useful for targets that don’t shoot back.

5 Likes

Thanks for the info, @EinsteinEP!

I was aware of the control unit, but I didn’t know what it looked like, I thought it was like a small stick, and might work similary to how the SA-342 works in the co-pilot position :stuck_out_tongue: You mention a very limited range, but the manual states the range is 9km+. What makes you think the range is limited? Flare burns out? Hard to use at range? Or perhaps the manual’s range is only really applicable for when launched from high altitudes at a moderatly steep dive angle?

The missile itself can probably go for days. I’ve had some poor shots where the missile heads off to the horizon and I lose visual with it. The real limitation is how well I can see the target and be able to precisely guide the rocket to the target. Even if you can pick out a tank at 10km, trying to manually control the 0.3m diamater Rb05 on top of it is going to be tough.

The large warhead can make near-misses lethal, but the flashlight effect is going to make errors even more pronounced at longer ranges. A steep dive minimizes the flashlight effect, but these are dangerous because you have to be focused on missile guidance all the way to impact.

I’m sure with some experimentation and practice, you can get good at hitting large targets when launching at ranges up to 0km, but precise impacts will be very difficult.

That’s how I remember it. I got to try the Rb05 simulator during my military service. It wasn’t easy, and I remember the instructor saying that we should “pulse” the control. Make a input, and wait and observe. Make another input. Wait and observe. You couldn’t afford too many overcorrections.

8 Likes

:open_mouth: {Einstein turns green with envy}

This seems to work best here, too. And it’s more about controlling the RATE that the flare is moving relative to the target, not just it’s position. E.g., if the rocket is above the target, but coming down fast, pitching down more is going to make you overshoot a lot. You have to gently coax it on top of the target and then just keep bumping it back on as it drifts off.

5 Likes

That plane needs a second seat…amiright @klarsnow?

6 Likes