Heatblur F-14 and Forrestal Update

Firstly, thanks for letting us know you’re OK!

As someone who did the same almost two years ago now, good luck! It sucks to be stuck not only in a bad job, but with people who make the job suck as much as it does. It’s never easy, but in the long run it’s better for your future and health. If you can, take a breather for a few months.

2 Likes

Best of luck with everything in the near future, NB!

Not to rain on your parade, but wouldn’t you have to group all site hits in 2018 by users, then count the individual users? Unless i’m misunderstanding what metric PC Pilot uses, that would seem like the fair comparison.

Its a good argument to get a mudspike copy for preview who cares how erroneous :joy:

I’m sure that there’s still enough of a good argument. :wink:

2 Likes

So wake turbulence is modeled on the receiving end, not the creating end? So an A-10 and Tomcat can sit in the same position behind the tanker and only the Tomcat has to deal with it?

I guess it has to be that way, but it really seems backwards.

Yes.
I hope this tech will trickle back into the core of DCS and that all modules will have it.

2 Likes

Not that we have any large helos capable of IFR in DCS, but can you imagine flying a Blackhawk or 53 with that?

Reminds me of that video of the helo self-circumcising. :smiley:

Oh yeah, here it is:

Holy Moly that looks amazing. Have you tried her in VR yet?

This might might be the airplane that drags me into multiplayer…

New PC - Ordered
Upgraded Internet - Accomplished and functioning
DCS F14 pre-purchased - Check

Yes, I think I’m ready. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I wonder if the Tomcat also reacts to thermals of clouds…

1 Like

@BeachAV8R what is the performance of the module vs f18 FPS wise? Wonder if the old 1070 will still be enough.

3 Likes

Same question here.

1 Like

I have an r290x2… And my credit card can’t take another hammering :sob:

Following.

2 Likes

We now reached level of ’ atmosferic simulation ’ of War Thunder, it will take some additional time to reach Condor / XPlane / FSX level :smiley: :wink:

1 Like

I’m going to give it a whirl in VR tonight. Been holding off on that while I’m getting 2D screens and trying to find my way around the cockpit. They really built a well worn F-14, so some of the labeling on things like the warning systems rotary knob require some study until you get familiar with them.

4 Likes

Well, with the caveat that it is an early build, I had all of my sliders to the right last night and was showing around 38 FPS in the missions they provided. Every so often (like once per mission) I would swap views or something and I’d get a total lock down on FPS to like 1, then I’d switch to an F10 view or something and switch back and everything would be fine again. Not sure if that is a sim texture loading problem or if it is something with the F-14 loading. If I weren’t doing review type screenshots I’d back off my sliders a bit more in DCS World. I’ll probably have to for VR. And I’m using a 1080 (not a Ti)

Man, I’d grab that DG-1000 and soar over the Caucasus, or in Nevada…
Maybe in a USAF livery! (Some people think that’s a joke but they do have gliders!)

4 Likes

Tracking by online user is an invasion of privacy. Why would you want that? Like a Facebook Stockholm Syndrome thing? :wink:

Also that 2 million page views didn’t include the 4.6M annual views from the forum, so I was just generalizing a fair bit. And yes, comparing a paper magazine annual subscriptions count to a free no-ads online website page views is not a great comparison, whichever way it is sliced. My main point was really just to provide something comparable with youtube views or something, as that was the only ‘press’ allowed a preview so far for the Tomcat.

Yep. Looking forward to Chuck’s preview, it’s going to be great!

4 Likes

A 1070 should be just fine. One of our testers actually uses a 1070Ti and flies in VR and it is apparently fine.

One of our developers runs a 760 (!) and he’ll hit 60fps with low settings.

It’s heavier than the F-18 in some situations, and less so in others (in particular; we’ve reduced drawcalls significantly, which makes a huge difference with many Tomcats on screen versus Hornets).

We haven’t done our final optimization pass yet either. :slight_smile:

19 Likes