Heatblur F-14 and Forrestal Update

WOW this gonna be awesome well done guys!

2 Likes

Major accomplishment of the nightā€¦refueling. I found that scrunching down in the cockpit down and to the left really helps because the canopy bow blocks a lot of your view of the tanker. Once I moved down and left a bit, I had a much better view of the KC-130 and could position-keep better once on the hose.

By the way - how long has tanker wake been in the game? Guess whatā€¦you can compressor stall behind the tanker. Thank goodness that arenā€™t TF30s, they come right back onlineā€¦

Alright. Iā€™ll try to go silent while I work on what I need to work on. Iā€™m looking forward to @Chuck_Owlā€™s preview! I know Iā€™ll learn a lotā€¦

6 Likes

Shoot, thatā€™s easier than the Harrier.

2 Likes

Much easier. I struggle with the Harrier with that over the shoulder glance. This is way easier in my opinion.

2 Likes

I believe it will be easier to get gas from a KC-135 if we ever see the wingpod version (I heard thatā€™s what theyā€™re planning to add). KC-10 would be ideal, but beggars canā€™t be choosers.

Though with all aerial refueling, the trick seems to be more in flying for the aircraft and not with the basket/probe.

2 Likes

Youā€™re the first of us mortals to expierence it. The F-14 is the first jet that has this included. Thereā€™s also wake coming from other assets, such as other planes. Even your own missiles produce wake and it will influence your jet when you fly through it!

3 Likes

Iā€™m SO glad you said that. You have no idea how happy that short statement made me lol

2 Likes

Most definitely. That was something I learned from @EinsteinEP - focus on the aircraft points that keep you in position and you will naturally find your way to the drogue.

2 Likes

Ah, OKā€¦I thought I had missed something in a previous update and I was just experiencing it for the first time. It is a nice effect. You are fine if you are low and on the basket from the tanker, but if you drift up and behind itā€¦you have some stick activity that needs to be countered.

1 Like

@near_blind your silence is starting to worry meā€¦ Are you OK

2 Likes

I think he said he was going to take a little break as the F-14 hype built up and youtubers got to flying the jet.

2 Likes

11 Likes

Yep I remember now you mention it. Iā€™m almost more excited to hear his view on it than fly it myself!

2 Likes

Iā€™d guess there is no better authority on it. He loves that machine.

5 Likes

I love that machine @BeachAV8R. he LOVES AND UNDERSTANDS it. Like a connoisseur. Iā€™m itching to hear his opinion

3 Likes

I am sure he will once he had the oppertunity to fly it. Maybe the staff here can make it so that he will be Chuckā€™s RIO? Iā€™d love if the mudspike preview included a view on the multicrew action

3 Likes

PS - @nicholas.dackard has already seen that screen I posted and has noticed a bug in the canopy seamā€¦LOLā€¦that poor guy has laser like eyes. I just robbed him of another couple hours of sleep, he says heā€™s fixing it. Shout out to the entire Heatblur team. They have been so friendly and accommodating and helpful. True professionals and I was lucky to get to meet them when they came through town. Iā€™m hoping they come back to take a look at a certain A-6 that is in the areaā€¦(after they get some sleep someday)ā€¦

9 Likes

Near blind should be included on the tomcat preview. He is the Official Mudspike Tomcat Professional.

5 Likes

Yo, Iā€™m touched by your concern. Truly.

Without taking anything too far off topic, I got an early head start on my new years resolution and quit my job after the last 24 months of misery. For the last three weeks Iā€™ve been jumping through the administrative hoops of leaving my job, going through the processes of negotiating with various services Iā€™d received discounts on via said job, abusing utilizing the last of my health insurance before itā€™s cut off, interviewing at a new place that has fallen into my lap, and considering where I want to go and what I want to do with my career should that fall through. Toss in working through the fall out of some unrelated silly social drama, and my life is essentially in an advanced state of triage at the moment. If @BeachAV8R has any extra press copies laying around, that would be a welcome distraction :smiley:

Iā€™ve watched Jabbers and Magz videos. Taken as a couplet I think they did a good job explaining the strengths, concerns and quirks of the aircraftā€™s flight regime. Iā€™ve gotā€¦ thoughts about existing comments on the weapons systems, but none of them are worth sharing until the RIO seat is fleshed out in greater detail.

Needless to say Iā€™m blown away, if not actually surprised, by the quality of Heatblurā€™s work and looking forward to hooning around in it whenever that may occur.

Continue with your regularly scheduled gawking.

19 Likes

Glad your OK dude! Best wishes and good luck on your next adventures.

Iā€™m very pleased with your thoughts. Canā€™t wait to get my hands on it either!

Thanks for replying :+1::+1:

1 Like