Heatblur F-14 and Forrestal Update

I can’t believe you forgot that he was a Blade Runner. Which totally makes sense as to how he ended up in BSG.

I could probably match those mountains… Where’s that pic taken?

Careful gents, this thread is starting to get dangerous. We wouldn’t want to go full INTERNETS would we?

I’m starting to think that there’s no way we can avoid this with the F-14. So I will try to steer it somewhat back on topic: The Five Maneuvers That Were Prohibited In The F-14 Tomcat

Gulf of Alaska during Exercise Northern Edge (or something like that)…um…our F-14 squadron VF-31 participated in the exercise…so there is the F-14 tie in. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Ah! Thought maybe it was taken in my part of the globe… :slight_smile:

Number 1 - No spins - was a “biggie”. At the preflight brief before every Air Combat Maneuvering (ACM) flight, one of the aircrew, picked at random by the briefer, had to recite the NATOPS bold face for spin recovery to include a flat spin from memory or they didn’t go flying.

I’ve heard it so many times that I almost have it all memorized.

Spin Recovery:

Stick forward - neutral lateral
Rudder opposite the spin needle
…and then something about returning to controlled level flight.

Then came the flat spin bold face:
If in a flat spin-denoted by flat attitude, high yaw rate and eyeballs out G

If spinning below 10,000 ft AGL
RIO - Canopy Jettison
Command Eject

I’ve heard since (probably on this forum) that since 1988, my last year in VF-32, they had solved the flat spin problem by something simple like putting the wings all the way back.

Regardless, although it is probably from the “Land of Too Difficult”, it would be interesting to see if Heatblur’s aerodynamic of the F-14 can replicate a flat spin. If so, it would be interesting how this works out in DCS World if flying the F-14 as a single (both pilot and RIO) where technically one wold need to hop back into the RIO seat to eject properly.

5 Likes

where he finds out he has a half brother, and his dad escaped PoW and died a free man.

SARCASM ALERT! All hands brace for impact!

I spent 29 years in the Navy and stuff like that happened every day!

Secure form SARCASM ALERT. Set the normal underway watch.

[OK I fixed it…years instead of ears… I couldn’t find the embarrassed face so this is going to have to do :goat: ]

29 ears? What kind of bizarre rituals were you involved in? :astonished:

What was the annual take home pay of auditory organs?

Well, to be fair he didn’t claim those were his ears…

Whats the conversion rate from USD to EARS?

1 Like

That’s an iconic failure mode of the jet- I’d be shocked if it wasn’t modeled.

Your part of the globe…hmmmm…Ed du fra Norge?

1 Like

I believe it’s more “Bork bork bork.” :wink:

2 Likes

LOL!
Both, actually.
Swedish, living in Norway. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I figured Norway because were aren’t many places in the world where snow covered mountains come right up from the sea.

BTW, full disclosure, my wife is Norwegian (from Oslo) and did the translation for me.

Hade så lenge!:sunglasses:

3 Likes

Good choice! :wink:

1 Like

Wishing my ancestors hadn’t given up Swedish in the 1920s. :slightly_frowning_face:

Pics or it didn’t happen! (Not really, just being cheeky :stuck_out_tongue: )

1 Like

2 Likes