Heatblur F-14 and Forrestal Update

I think so…never seen one of those…

Looks like its for practice bombs…

Edit: Sniped!

Hehe…yeah…I guess when every pound of thrust is a matter of life or death…you can’t have those dirty, draggy bombs hanging out there…

1 Like

Nah, its more so that when in training you can get more drops for less money. Also way easier to load and reload a 20 pound bomblet than a 500/2000 lb concrete bomb.

The practice bombs for the USAF (BDU-33) has the same kinematics as a Mk-82, you can carry 6 of them on the rack we carry them on, and they have a smoke charge in the tail after they hit, so that you can see how you are doing.

5 Likes

That F-14 sounds pretty sweet. Good to see they have invested in the external audio arena. One of the reasons IMO the hornet is so cool is the audio. The viggen has great internal sounds, but external is meh. I think it may have the default engine sounds, not sure.

1 Like

I still prefer the original, but I find this superior to the Jabbers redub.

3 Likes

Wait, is the second paragraph in general, or just the landing config?

Also surprised rudder get’s more authority at higher AOA, I’d think the Elevrons would have a cleaner line on airflow.

In general surprised it’s such an analog machine without more help on pitch to compensate for wing sweep.

Words from the sacred text of airbus

6 Likes

In general. It’s a big aircraft that’s controlled by a very non-traditional set of control devices and a very basic stability augmentation system.

I’m not some sort of @Aeromechanical Engineer or anything, so I won’t attempt to explain the why. I will however say this is a constant in just about every no FBW aircraft with an all-moving tail that I can think of. If you fly the F-86, MiG-21, F-5 or F-15, you will have significantly better roll response using rudder at high AoA than using elevons or ailerons.

Understand the aircraft was designed in the late 1960s, and first flew in 1970. It had already pushed up against and busted through any number of frontiers in aerodynamics. The only comparable aircraft that did anything similar, at least in the west, was the F-15, which came out four years later, had a more traditional layout, and has a mechanical-hydraulic control system that makes good engineers yearn for a bottle of the hard stuff just thinking about it.

Generally in most fighter jets since the F-4, once you are buried in the AOA the rudder takes over as the primary means of roll control. The horizontal stabs/ Ailerons are going to be buried in turbulent air and will be ineffective or less effective than the rudders.

This is part of why there are two tall vertical stabs/ rudders on most 4th/5th gen fighter jets.

Get the DCS F-15C upto 30 plus units of AOA and try getting the nose to move with the ailerons WITHOUT removing the back stick pressure. It probly wont budge, or will be very sluggish, then kick in a full boot of rudder in the direction you wanna go, it suddenly starts to respond.

I will often fight the vast majority of a BFM slow speed engagement primarily using the rudders in the F-15C

8 Likes

I think rudder also has some sort of result of increasing lift on the wing you are moving forward on a swept wing since you are presenting a larger frontal area to the relative wind and also changing the overall angle of attack of that wing. It’s been three decades since I opened an Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators book though…so that’s probably all wrong. Might just be…

giphy

5 Likes

Absolutely!
The secondary effect of yaw, is roll. And it’s more pronounced on swept wings.

When the SAAB J 29 Tunnan was introduced there were several landing accidents where the aircraft rolled over on short final.
Turned out that pilots had no swept wing experience and in high AoA, with landing flaps, roll reversal occured due to the secondary effect of roll, which is yaw.
The pilot rolled right. The aircraft rolled left.
Because of the already high AoA, the left wing aileron deflecting down caused an increase in AoA on the left wing, increasing drag, causing a yaw and roll to the left. So, the pilot increased the roll input, to the right, and the left wing stalled…

The solution was to teach pilots to leave the ailerons alone and use rudder to roll, when flaps are down.

8 Likes

Fun fact! High AOA stalls on a T-tail aircraft will also cause a deep stall, in which the whole tail surface is in turbulent air and thus almost has no control authority!

Stall testing in a Fokker 70, a dutch T-tailed regional jet:

In the end they are discussing how they’ve used 4 rockets to get out of a spin and it was a “bit too enthusiastic”. They also discuss the Alpha angle being 40 degree and how no input could bring back control.

Looking at it properly looks more like a spin then deep stall unfortunately, still a cool video… right?

9 Likes

A FO I flew with a few years ago described the F-4 (a plane he flew until a few years prior) as being a primarily rudder airplane even in the traffic pattern.

5 Likes

That sounds like severe headbangery occurred a few ms after.

7 Likes

@komemiute you might wanna fast forward to 21:30-ish in that interview and get a clean towel. :a6:

4 Likes

1 Like

Hope this gets here soon. If Heatblur makes an Intruder I am sooo buying it!!!

Has anyone been working on a quick guide for the F-14 yet? I’m a bit surprised that nothing like that exists yet.