Heatblur F-14 and Forrestal Update

I had a real F-14A pocket checklist…but chucked it…just kept the back cover that has a X-wind calculator…in 1988 never did I think I might need it for a flight sim.

A lot of the manuals are readily available on the net, including some early F-14A ones, but I have a nagging suspicion that a bunch of the steps can be truncated, which is why I ask.

May be of use? The first pdf is a 7 page version instead of the 900+ page version he has in his second link.

Wheels

1 Like

A very good point. From the pilots seat it is the usual…stick forward-houses get bigger; stick back-houses get smaller; throttle forward-more noise; throttle back-less noise. When the Sidewinder tone gets really high pitched and annoying, pull the trigger to make it stop.

The RIO’s seat…well it all depends on how in-depth they go.

The F-14A was an interesting aircraft in that it was developed on the cusp of the all digital age. It was a kind of “in between” fighter/interceptor that could do more with its weapons system system because of computer advances, but still needed a human to “fill in” for the parts the computers at the time still couldn’t do. I remember watching some of our better RIOs in the simulator and thinking, “they are working their butts off”.

I know this is coming out as a 2-seat multiplayer. I bet Heatblur could make some money by hiring a bunch of retired RIOs that you could call up on line (for a modest fee) to fill in the back seat while you flew up front.

3 Likes

Right, but they appear to have instead replaced them with robots already :slight_smile:

Really interested to hear more about that quick menu system for the “Joker AI.” Based on the few quick glimpses of the GUI in the initial trailer, it seems like they borrowed some inspiration from squad based console games, which is actually a really smart idea. Frankly, DCS could use some more GUI polish and thought in those areas (eg. the comms menu), so a nice bit of evolution and forward thinking for the platform, where usability doesn’t sacrifice depth or accuracy.

That would be a riot! Would be great for kids birthday parties, especially if he put on clown makeup and called himself Jester…

1 Like

From reddit

sigh

7 Likes

So contrailly :eye: :eye:!

1 Like

Not bad.

No warp effect from glass, jagged shadows, wrong angle of the sun, literally fail x10. Needs one more year of development work, possibly pushed back 3 years to do A-6 first and get it right.

5 Likes

Not a single word in that sentence is wrong! :smiley:

1 Like

Gah. I know you are posting in jest, but gah.

Better?

5 Likes

… Why is the RIO a happy cat?

5 Likes

This is why I’m not reading Reddit and am slumming it with the console peasants on Red Dead Redemption 2.

Wake me up when we get there…

3 Likes

I CAN’T UNSEE IT NOW!

3 Likes

Because he’s in a motherlovin F-14 tomcat and not a plastic electric bug, baby! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

List of things to do with Heatblur F-14:

1. First flight listening to Danger Zone while playing volleyball on the carrier

1. Paint kitty face on RIO/pilot skins
  2. Make A-6 paint scheme
  3. Drop effload of bombs
  4. Constantly whine for AIM-54 to be banned on multiplayer servers even though I’m always using bombs

P.S. Nyan

3 Likes

3 Likes

Not work safe. Seriously, yo.

1 Like

3 Likes