Help me hash out a desktop simpit please

As the title suggests I am pondering a desktop simpit. I am very new to this and feel it would be prudent to bounce my ideas off the more experienced folks here.

What I have at the moment is a Warthog throttle, VKB Evo stick, pair of Cougar MFDs and some DIY rudder pedals that I am still tinkering with.

My idea is build one central panel with an old laptop screen for the cougars and a tablet that has DCS UFC and a few physical buttons and rotary encoders. To the left and right of central panel will be side panel button boxes each with a tablet again running DCS UFC.

First question is will there be a conflict between DCS UFC and DCS BIOS? ( is there a better program to export the MFDs)

Second question is can I used physical buttons and encoders to control certain functions on DCS UFC tablets? Like instead of tapping the touch screen I can use real encoder instead.

Third question is an open one. Where or what issues am I not considering. What path do I need to avoid from the start?

Any and all advice is most appreciated.

2 Likes

Hey PatMat. Welcome to the deep rabbit hole that is building your own simpit :slight_smile:

I can’t answer the first question as I don’t currently use DCS UFC or DCS BIOS.

For the second question, for the controller/button-box that I built, it acts like any other DirectX Input device and I assign the buttons on it in DCS directly - it acts like a joystick. So any setup that you do like that doesn’t need DCS UFC or DCS BIOS - but I also don’t know if it can benefit from those two projects as I don’t know much about them.

The third question is the tough one really. I am on my 5th generation simpit. I started with an ABC thing (not sure I can dig a link up to that but it was (spelling mistakes all mine)), an Aker/Barnes Cockpit made up of plywood panels. From that I worked through various office/desk chair designs and finally my current VW Jetta drivers seat.

I get the feeling that you are considering something that can be clamped to your desk - and that’s a great idea. My suggestions:

1. Make sure you have a decent flight stick, throttle and pedals first. Those can be money sinks themselves but you are likely going to upgrade those as time goes on Consider that first.

2. VR/touchscreen. My first big update idea after building the ABC thing was to get a 22 inch touchscreen to mount in front of me. That worked well but turned into an upgrade pain in the arse. What I mean there was that any update to DCS ended up breaking that interface and I had to spend time fixing that instead of playing. Same goes for my Thrustmaster MFDs. I added screens behind them because it was cool and DCS could output to them … but it turned into a thing that I had to constantly tinker with (and more importantly, remember where all the bits were). As I transitioned to VR, I ended up abandoning them. I still used the MFDs (by touch) but not the screens. The main point of this story is to try to avoid going down a path that you feel is cool as heck (yeah!) and then realizing that you’re not really into it. :slight_smile:

3. Plan and implement in small steps. I had big dreams and I tended to get discouraged when I wasn’t able to get them into reality without a lot of money, time and effort. What I found worked well was to do smaller projects that could be added to the larger whole later. Start small, and factor in future growth and expansion.

Good luck!

8 Likes

Oooooh! Nostalgia overload!

Designed in an era when flat screens and VR was just dreams…
But the over all dimensions are a nice start.

This thread has some solutions for budding cockpit builders.

2 Likes

That’s it! 20 years ago I bought the plywood and a jig saw to build that. And shortly after started modifying it to add other pieces and fix problems. That was the start of my decent into madness :slight_smile:

Thinking of that and my current setup … I am considering a redesign to be more VR friendly. I am a relatively short lad so all my button boxes and such are pretty close at hand. With VR, I can’t use any hand controllers without running into (aka punching) all the pieces. It may be time for me to move on to a 6th generation simpit soon :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for your advice. I am indeed looking to build a “clamped to desk” type as space and mobility are a concern.

Just from reading here and other sources I have managed a couple of steps.

The button boxes,tablets and MFDs are the next projects. Im ok with wiring up the pro micros and I have a bunch of momentary button and encoders just arrived from the far east. I have read all the posts involving MMjoy2 and I can figure that out or ask for help here.

My main concern is the possible conflicts with the apps I mentioned in op. I do not have the space for a full on simpit and my PC is used for other stuff as well. I just want to avoid the frustration you mentioned by asking before hand.

2 Likes

Yep I have viewed that thread and many others for inspiration. Some fantastic creations out there for sure. I have a good idea of what I want. Just have a few questions that I have not found the answers to yet. Just do not want to spend the man hours on something that was not feasible from the outset.

3 Likes