HP Reverb G2

Calculations: no
MOOD : YES

That was a waste of an afternoon

4 Likes

That doesn’t sound like much, but when I tried the close, wide FoV face frames, I could feel my eyelashes brush against the lenses. I don’t think prescription lenses will work with these.

2 Likes

What a difference a few shaders makes…!
I installed the shader package with transparent water as I just love how this looks when I fly around the big flat boat, trolling for wires.

Now I could maintain 90FPS without reprojection in the Caucasus. 90, dipping into 45 Reproj. dogfighting in Syria…

How come these shaders aren’t standard ED issue, for VR?

Does this sound like the kind of performance that you’re seeing, @fearlessfrog ?

2 Likes

I think that’s, like, the 2nd most asked question on their forums.

Are you using SteamVR’s OpenVR or the WMR OpenXR…gosh…this gets confusing…thing? I switched to WMR’s ‘thing’ recently (looking for the post in a second) but the re-projection-like…ah, lets call it the anticipatory scene smoother…thing isn’t working for me like it does in SteamVR. So, I’m getting higher values but not quite as smooth.

Ok, found the post in here (had to really lean back to see it up there):

1 Like

Yeah, same. I just put them on, not really intending to look that much but as it was just a simple drag/drop and thought why not? It makes a big difference for sure.

1 Like

It is confusing for sure. For DCS it only supports two VR APIs, (1) the Oculus SDK or (2) SteamVR (aka OpenVR).

If you have a Windows Mixed Reality (WMR) headset like an Odyssey or a Reverb then for DCS VR you have to use the SteamVR access (via something called WMR for SteamVR, which essentially ‘fakes’ your headset to appear as a SteamVR device).

Just because it’s SteamVR (or the proper name of OpenVR) then it doesn’t mean you need to run the game on Steam. DCS standalone can run OpenVR just fine.

The new kid on the block is ‘OpenXR’. This is meant to be a unifying API that gets rid of all this ‘Is it Oculus, is it SteamVR, is it WMR?’. It’s new and the only thing that supports it so far is MS Flight Sim. There’s a diagram of how it will work around here:

In the future it would be great if DCS, IL-2 Box, XP11 etc add support for OpenXR.

2 Likes

No it isn’t! We’ve got you to sort it out and explain it.
Troll confused :arrow_forward: @fearlessfrog :arrow_forward: Troll unconfused. :slight_smile:

Things are really moving fast in DCS now, with this shader mod. I remember they made a difference on the Rift as well, but I quickly grew tired of the installation routine. And then DCS got some improvements, so 90FPS in the OG Rift and then 80 in the Rift S was achievable, with some tuning of the settings, so I didn’t bother with the shader mod anymore. From what I have read, a new guy has taken over Kegetys old mod and now it’s a bit more user friendly, it seems.

3 Likes

Thanks, though my brain is too full with other things right now to grok it…

I followed the above post to configure things I’m doing this:

And in SteamVR, this:

Somehow it all works (O+, nVidia 1080), at least as best as it ever has.

The Motion Repro doesn’t seem to work however. Or at least it is ‘different’ than what SteamVR does. VRam seems lower and the FPS is higher.

1 Like

Are you talking about in DCS @jross? Just to be clearer, DCS doesn’t use any settings from that OpenXR stuff, it’s ‘WMR for SteamVR’ only. The only sim that would use those OpenXR settings is MSFS. My settings for my WMR device and DCS are up here: HP Reverb G2 - #1096 by fearlessfrog

Oh, yeah. Forgot that detail. Not touched FS2020 in some time.

My process to get it all going may lead to a clue: plug in headset, WMR auto-starts, run SteamVR from shortcut (which starts Steam), run DCS.

DCS seems to start SteamVR on it’s own but, old habits I guess.

WMR will ‘nag’ me if I’ve not selected it’s option (“…Fix It” balloon pops up); I normally ignored this but, as per the above post, decided to try it a few days ago and observed higher FPS overall and lower VRAM numbers (MSI Afterburner report), which are probably related.

1 Like

Ah, cool. Yep the settings for DCS in your case would just be in SteamVR then, so basically this stuff

SteamVR beta 1.16.7 with ‘WMR for SteamVR’ beta 1.2.536

Note: running the ‘beta’ bits of both those things about might be important, as it changed on how the settings are respected in WMR. If you have the same as me then the ‘Motion Smoothing’ enabled will go ask WMR to run it’s reprojection (it used to be via a funny text file, but no anymore on the beta of ‘WMR for SteamVR’).

The OpenXR settings only help with MSFS, so changing them and getting a better DCS experience on WMR is a bit like this: :slight_smile: :pirate_flag:

4 Likes

Okay, yeah, I missed that “per-application” page setting. <<< keeping up with this all takes persistence :grin:

Yes, running WMR For Steam VR and (it looks like) the beta/dev version of WMR/XR as per the above image. And Steam VR Beta 1.16.8x

Honestly, all I ever run is DCS: DCS World, Visual Studio, LUA Dev Tools, and a web browser - a lot of money for a handful of apps, but, keeps me off the streets at night :slight_smile:

Found that setting (Motion Smoothing) and will try it later.

FS2020 - just too ragged on my eyes in VR, and I don’t like how any of the aircraft “feel” (related to the performance too I’m sure), though it’s been a month at least since I fired it up.

Thanks for the info.

1 Like

I love that chart. Of course I attempted to rationalize how pirates would thrive in warmer waters. But then I confused myself with the thought that Vikings did their pillaging thing regardless of temperature.

4 Likes

I was trying to understand the difference between Super Sampling (SS) and Motion Smoothing, and discovered this post from 2018. It stated:

Motion Smoothing is not enabled when using Oculus Rift or Windows Mixed Reality headsets with SteamVR, because their underlying display drivers use different techniques when applications miss framerate.

Does this still apply? I couldn’t discern a difference between it enabled or not with my G2.

I tried the IC Pass version of the VR shaders mod, but my fps dropped considerably.

fpsVR Report: My settings, default shaders
App: DCS World Multiplayer HMD: HP Reverb Virtual Reality Headset G20 (90.001 Hz, IPD 65.6)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti (27.21.14.6140) CPU: Intel(R) Core™ i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz
Delivered fps: 50.65 Duration: 11.1min. Headset was active: 100%
GPU Frametimes:
Median: 16.2 ms
99th percentile: 20.5 ms
99.9th percentile: >30 ms
frametime <11.1ms(vsync): 5.4%
CPU frametime:
Median: 9 ms
99th percentile: 14.3 ms
frametime <11.1ms(vsync): 90.8%
Reprojection Ratio: 43.2% (for Index/Vive/VivePro headsets only)
Dropped frames: 78 or 0.1% (for Index/Vive/VivePro headsets only)
Max. SteamVR SS: 100%
Render resolution per eye: 3176x3100(by SteamVR settings, Max.) (HMD driver recommended: 3176x3099)

fpsVR Report: My settings, IC Pass VR shaders
App: DCS World Multiplayer HMD: HP Reverb Virtual Reality Headset G20 (90.001 Hz, IPD 65.6)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti (27.21.14.6140) CPU: Intel(R) Core™ i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz
Delivered fps: 32.33 Duration: 14.5min. Headset was active: 89%
GPU Frametimes:
Median: 14.1 ms
99th percentile: >30 ms
frametime <11.1ms(vsync): 7.4%
CPU frametime:
Median: 8.8 ms
99th percentile: >30 ms
frametime <11.1ms(vsync): 82.2%
Reprojection Ratio: 63.6% (for Index/Vive/VivePro headsets only)
Dropped frames: 448 or 0.6% (for Index/Vive/VivePro headsets only)
Max. SteamVR SS: 100%
Render resolution per eye: 3176x3100(by SteamVR settings, Max.) (HMD driver recommended: 3176x3099)

Motion Smoothing is the term Valve chose to call their reprojection algorithm (and what Oculus call ASW).

WMR for StreamVR always used its own reprojection (set via a config file globally) and ignored whatever was set in SteamVR for a game. Nowadays (with the beta of WMR for SteamVR, do use that) it does look at that setting and will apply it. So essentially the SteamVR settings are passed down to WMR to turn on/off its reprojection.

Super sampling is up’ing resolution for clarity.

Reprojection is creating in-between synthetic frames based on head movements, so the headset can show native frame rates but the game need only provide half.

It’s a shame about those IC values, as that’s quite the hit and nearly every MP server requires it. Another reason that if these shaders were just added by ED then they could pass IC :frowning:

4 Likes

Thanks. Yeah, I deleted and reinstalled the default shaders prior to trying them, just to make sure that they wouldn’t be influenced by anything legacy in nature. But they took forever to load (like 10 mins), and then had a major hit in performance. But, I’ve read much about improved VR experience with them. So, must be something particular with my config.

Can you share your SteamVR and DCS setting? I am no where near what you got. I am not using SteamVR Beta, Not sure if that’s why I don’t see an option to turn on motion smoothing. But I got 90 only when above sea and facing the sea, i.e. not other objects. when facing the land, 50, above land 45, above airport facing a group of buildings, 35…

Sure. Not at home at the moment, but on top of my head:

SteamVR resolution 50% motion smoothing on. You will find this under video, per application settings and DCS must be running.

DCS: MSAA off, visible range Medium, civ. Traffic off, Terrain textures low, textures high, water medium, grass and clutter off, shadows flat only. AF x8.

This is with the shader mod installed. That makes a huge difference.

3 Likes

Thanks very much!! I will try it out.

Nice to see a confirmation: same in-game settings seem to perform consistently across systems. And yes to the VR Shaders mod. It used to be a pain to update them every time but I’ve done it so many times that, a) It takes all of 10 seconds, and b) I too ask why it’s not in the base game.

1 Like