HP Reverb G2

Sad to see @Maico

Which headset is on your radar?

Thank you. I guess Varjo Aero is the new thing…

1 Like

Have a look at the Pimax Crystal too… It’s getting great reviews. I admit I haven’t been able to follow all the youtube influencer vids, but the ones I have watched shows real promise.

Uhmmm, worth considering. Thanks !

checked the features, is 4090 capable to run it at least at 30fps ? :smile:

have to watch the vids for sur

Does the Crystal need base stations? Im leaning in favor of this vs Varjo.

What are you going to do with the broken one?

No plans to rid myself of it. For now, im keeping it

1 Like

No, it has inside-out tracking, but it can also use base stations for extra precision.
Using base stations with the Aero was a revelation, as it was much better than the tracking of the G2.
The tracking of the Crystal seems to be better than the G2 though.

@NEVO opened up a dedicated Crystal thread here. I’ll move the Crystal content over there.

1 Like

@Troll for President!
Tack! I pre-ordered the Doggone Crystal

3 Likes

I’m slightly miffed at DHL.

Last week I ordered a V2 replacement cable for my G2 for 152US$.

I got an SMS stating that they expected to deliver on Monday.

Got another SMS Monday, stating that the package was ready for pickup.

Went to get it and BUMMER! It was not my package in the pickup box! :angry:

Was instead some clothing for a local lady, sent from Australia.

Contact DHL customer service and after some back and forth I was told yesterday that they expected that it would be ready for pickup during the day.

Still no SMS with a pickup code!

I do realise that there has to be room in the Send/Pickup thingie, but I want to put my new cable in the G2 and play! :sob:

3 Likes

Part time lurker here for a bit, finally working on getting setup with DCS, and see if I can live with the Reverb G2 collecting dust. Current system is probably still a bit behind the power curve, but I’ve got to live with it for a bit:

MB: ASUS Strix-B550-i
CPU: AMD R7-5800X
RAM: 32GB DDR4-3600 CL16
SSD: Corsair Force MP600 NVME
GPU:Nvidia RTX 3070 Ti FE 8GB

Been messing around trying to get things in a state that look and feel pretty good, though at this point it’s all in single player test scenarios with Nevada and Syria. This is about where I landed, but I think I need to squeeze a few more frames out, if possible, to smooth things out.

Would appreciate any feedback the experts might have for me.

I’m eagerly awaiting the F4-E and would love to get the ol’ man in the cockpit with VR and see what he thinks of it all.

2 Likes

Try some external tweaks as well such as using process lasso to set DCS to high priority. Also tweak the nvidia control panel a little; prerendered frames to 2 or 3, low latency mode on, etc. Replace the dlss dll with the newest one.

Be sure to play with the dlss and lod sliders. Large gains at relatively low cost.

4 Likes

After doing what @schurem said, you can try lowering cloud quality to low and see if that helps noticeably, then adjust it from there.

If you really want higher framerate, setting shadows to “flat only” or even “off” will definitely help, though it will also look much worse.

4 Likes

What they said ^^^

Before I dive in here: Below assumes you understand that I’m Used To It - how it looks. An acceptable level of graphical detail that keeps it performing (smoothness). My priorities are: Immersion. VR brings it, stuttering and choppy FPS ruins it. So I’m willing to sacrifice visuals perhaps more than most.

I fly mainly (lately anyway) the Syria map, in VR. Similar system: 5900X, 3080Ti, 64GB RAM, Varjo Aero.

Only big changes I have compared to what you showed:

• Terrain Shadows - OFF: Still get cloud shadows which is the most important one to me; gives the entire ‘scene’ more depth.

• Visible Range - High: reduces object count (when the widget that shows this is working)

• Water - LOW: Haven’t tested this in a while honestly; High used to have a big-ish hit on my system; Medium didn’t look significantly better than low. Again, been a while since I tested these.

• I periodically run a ‘cleaner’ to shut off/disable processes I don’t care about; my PC does only flight sims (DCS 90% lately). I have a 7 yo PC that does what I need for everything else just fine. Keeping my [new, 2 yo] system as clean as possible. When I first did this it smoothed things out overall. That was a couple of years ago. Would it still make a difference? I’ve not gone back to test it == would be PITA to do.

• I use DLSS on Balanced, 0.5 sharpen. When this feature first came out for DCS there was a noticable difference between the choices. Not sure how much anymore; I was new to DFR. Now dropping it with this ON to, say, ultra performance may show a larger performance delta? < I was to focused on the numbers and not “just flying” [the game] - enjoying it.

• Many tuning tips have a short shelf life as the engine, plugins (DFR), 3rd party code, drivers, etc. make for a moving target. The BIG things like clouds, vis. range (affects object count), shadows, resolution (DFR) and the like are where I seem to see larger improvements over time.

• Varo Aero + DFR (Dynamic Foveated Rendering the Pimax Cristal has this now too): Without digging my G2 out and trying it for comparison I’m not sure how large a difference that makes; my G2 numbers (same system and settings) were lower for sure but that was several updates ago and could be engine improvements?

I guess the above are ‘mid range’ settings, in place for 2 generations - old PC vs new one, same settings. The new one (listed at the start) keeps me above 70 FPS on everything I do (vs ~45 on the old one), and 85+ (max 90) most of the time, running a ‘world generation/scripting engine’ in the background to bring some life to DCS: “make my own fun” :wink: .

The number of objects being processed has more effect on performance on my system thus the 3rd party ‘object generator’ (High vs Ultra vis. range shows improvement without me really thinking about it, IOW: I’m “used to it” - this vis. range): the map makes a difference.

No idea how it would perform online as I don’t have the time for that (I play when I can)

Without spending another $2,000+ on, say, a 4090, I’m happy; the 4090 I’m sure would make it ‘look purty’ but not convinced the sim would run smoother overall?. Last update did introduce a small bit of stutter that I’ve been able to reduce, but not completely eliminate; seems to be more of an I/O issue (data access thing) than GPU/CPU[1].

[1] This may be my scripts but I’ve worked hard to ‘spread the load’ here and haven’t found evidence, yet, this is the issue, ie; the same code in use in the latest version and the previous one.

PS: a algorithm, internal to DCS, that adapted to the current load on the system might be nice but seems such a low-level thing it would require too much code re-wiring to happen. Tough to pull off.

3 Likes

Right… I think it was you that put me on this path earlier. Do you have the link to the cleaner you use? You on Win 10 or 11?

Was afraid someone would ask me that :laughing: …rummaging through my files…standby…

2 Likes

Ok, its from Chris Titus Tech. He has updated this since my last run (it was less ‘busy’ then).

NOTE: It has seemed to be a battle: Me Vs Microsoft for many years - they want ‘stuff’ I do NOT want - or need. Felt almost forced into using the tool a few years ago. So, here we are…

On Windows 11 (I used it on 10 a ways back too).

FWIW (and I actually wrote this down) before using this tool I would boot up with 180 processes. Now it’s 82 (just re-booted to check). Was 70 in Windows 10. You can get it lower but I didn’t go too deep.

You need Windows Power shell. Then open it then run this (Copy/Paste this line should work) on the command line:

irm christitus.com/win | iex

You’ll then see this:

NOTE: the above runs the script - does not perform the actual changes. That is done with the “Run Tweaks” button from the script window.

Now, this is a new version from the last time I used it. I HIGHLY recommend you watch his videos. I normally select “DeskTop” and then UNcheck Home group (I transfer code from my dev machine over to this one, the Play PC, to test DCS missions).

Don’t normally touch the Advanced tweaks (actually I do use a couple). Again, he’s added more stuff to allow more flexibility - and allow you to get in trouble more easily? Watch the videos.

Been Using this for several years now on both Win 10/11 - but this PC is only used for games.

1 Like

Thanks!
My play PC is just for sims too…

Thanks, appreciated. I had made the mistake of the game installing to a standard HDD and fighting the stutters in 2D when first working through the initial setup. I ended up doing a fresh installation to the NVME earlier this month which resolved that. 2D on my monitor looks really nice and the additional mods to turn down a bit for VR are so close to what I think I can live with… but it’s just enough that I think I’m still a significant investment away from for VR to be my go to. I still need to finalize my pit setup and then get some hrs in seat time to really tell. I’m not new to the sim world and know the constant battle between hardware and software. There is a reason I have been absent for a decade plus… but I’ve jumped in deeper than ever in anticipation of the Phantom so it is what it is.

2 Likes