HP Reverb G2

Yeah, since the face cover is so easy to remove, I can see a great opportunity for the likes of VRcover.com to make some money here.

I’ve reset my graphics settings on my 1080, as I wanted a clean driver install and now DCS has jaggies that I just cannot live with. Its making my eyes bleed.

Changed MSAA settings in DCS, no change… any ideas? I could stop being an eye candy tart and suck it up, but I know the setting is there somewhere.

I’m not sure, but if you did a clean driver install it would have reset your previously fiddled with Nvidia Inspector settings. I’m not sure what I have with DCS (I’m a bit behind on using that recently) but there seems to be a bunch of ‘lore’ around them here for VR:

3 Likes

Agreed. No hand controllers, no Steam Overlay stuff; editing the file every so often is, cumulatively, to me, less annoying.

1 Like

Oh yes. I’ve resisted giving out tips on this cuzz, well, I just have “my way” and it seems to work, but I know it’s probably not technically correct. Your section about setting the smoothing thing I didn’t get (til now, thank you) because I only use 1 main app (DCS, and sometimes X-Plane); use it in a ‘global’, one-size fits all, kind of way.

Thanks for that info. Really good.

1 Like

I used to look straight up where there is no flickering. At least I did when flying in VTOL VR with the original Rift using steamVR.

I close my eyes while il2 flickers through its loading screen.

2 Likes

I look down :blush:

All of this works.

But why isn’t this an issue with Oculus API?

And you do not want to know for how long this IS an issue for WMR.

No real fighters here?? :stuck_out_tongue:
CH6! :wink:

5 Likes

AFAIK it’s an issue with SteamVR?
It happened in the Rift too, if you used it in SteamVR, but not when using Oculus rendering…

Only lovers… :wink:

1 Like

Day three with my Reee…verb… Ok, that sucked.
Getting to know the ins and outs of the software.
I have increased the resolution to 50%. That’s around the native resolution of the G1 and G2. SteamVR wants the 100% resolution of the G2 at much higher than the physical display resolution due to the way the lenses focus in the middle, or something. Never quite understood that, but at 50% things look really sharp and nice, at the cost of performance. So reprojection kicks in and DCS & IL-2 renders at 45 FPS and the G2 software guesstimates images so it can feed 90Hz through the displays. Oculus call this Asynchronous Space Warp. WMR calls this Reprojection and SteamVR calls it Motion Smoothing. Who is actually doing what is still unclear to me… I know Oculus is out of the picture, but that’s about the limit of my understanding :wink:
But the good thing is that the WMR/SteamVR Reprojection is a lot better than the ASW. There are artifacts, but they are not as noticable…

Question. Nvidia Control panel. VR Pre-rendered frames. 1,2,3 or 4?

1 Like

I’ve heard 1 or 3 mentioned the most. I think this one is personal preference myself and related to your gear/setup. I have set both, then forgotten about it, never really noticing a big difference. Higher values are said to add some latency. With the ‘smoothing-whatcha-ma-callit’ turned on I’d think 1 would be fine?

1 Like

I have tried all four… Can’t say I noticed any difference…?

Ok - update. My Reverb G2 lasted all of an hour. I called HP tech support and they balked, claiming I needed to hook up with Connection, since they sold it to me. Nevermind that all of the 800#'s on the email sent me to HP Support.

I’m disappointed, and now that I’m back to being self-employed, I’m frustrated as hell at the expense and fight over a warranty that’s just over a week old. I’ll send it in, since I still have all the equipment, but damnitall, I just wish they’d done a bit more robust construction or testing before release.

2 Likes

I’m guessing shipping is part of the problem…
Seems like all retailers ship the G2 in the black box. The hardware is snug inside, but any acceleration forces from dropping the box, being hit by other boxes, etc, will be translated straight into the hardware, with very little damping. I wish they had packed it in a larger box, with some cushioning around it.

2 Likes

When I picked up my Odyssey Plus headset, the reprojection was definitely inferior to that of Oculus. It was one of the reasons I went back to my OG Rift, and then on to a Rift S about 6 months later. It was a very pleasant surprise to find that the WMR/SteamVR reprojection has not only caught up, but actually surpassed that of Oculus.

2 Likes

I ordered my g2 over the weekend from B&H. With the given shipment delays, I’m guessing middle or end of January before it arrives.

2 Likes

I’ve seen how @Troll packages things. He is a master of impact dampening engineering. I want to send him $20 just to ship me an egg someday…just to see if he can engineer something that will get it all the way here… :smiley:

2 Likes