Hurricane Dorian

Yes…I think basically sitting in that same spot for the past 36 hours it has churned up the shallow water there to the point that there isn’t as much heat energy to draw from. Once it starts moving north (forecasted) it might restrengthen a bit as it moves into warmer waters.

1 Like

Oh, ouch. :pensive:
Ok, thanks for the clarification! :slight_smile:

It may be really bad for the Bahamas, but for the USA it was very good that it remained static there for a while.
It may stay that way or only become a bit stronger.
Either way: it gave people more time to prepare/evacuate and it cost Dorian a lot of energy that it probably won’t get back so it very likely lessened the impact on the coast.

We were going to evacuate this morning, but based on the predicted track and a very random survey (checkout girl at Publix, neighbor at the gas station, Home Depot and Ace Hardware employees, neighborhood FB group) most people are staying. More prep in the house today, but remaining here. If the beast turns toward us and picks up energy, we are not that for from the Interstate. Worst case would be a big surge up the Wando river as with Hugo, but does not look likely at this point.

4 Likes

6 Likes

Batten down the hatches and stay safe

1 Like

Me and my buddy almost got arrested in 1996 for disobeying the mandatory evacuation in North Myrtle Beach. We rigged up our sails under a parking garage (3.5 meter windsurfing sail) and I tried to get out in calm winds gusting to 60 and about 12’ surf. I got out first as my buddy was rigging and the police showed up. I was getting pummeled and getting dragged up the beach at about 15 miles an hour in the current and the cop was on his radio asking what he should do with my buddy. Whoever was in charge said “F-it…if they want to kill themselves, let them…” and they drove off. It was a horrible day of sailing though. The next day was epic though…

The oddest thing about the whole thing was with the town evacuated, me and my buddy met in the middle of Business 17, a normally packed 7 lane road that runs through Myrtle Beach and we just parked there and had a 30 minute long conversation and never saw anyone else.

And God Bless King’s Famous Pizza…about the only place to stay open through it all.

5 Likes

Was that Bertha? I was in Oak Island RIGHT after that one.

1 Like

Yep…that was the one! The day after it passed we got awesome side-offshore wind at about 40mph that took all the big swells and totally cleaned them up. The air was so crisp and clear (and sort of cool temperature) and there were these big rollers offshore, but the shore break was fairly small as the wind sorta pressed everything down. It was fantastic sailing.

Oak Island probably got hammered…

1 Like
2 Likes

Among other things, that stall over the Bahamas has really messed up the winds for racing night…only 9 knots predicted this evening.

1 Like

One of my favorite things about the past few hurricane seasons…watching the Frying Pan Shoals Tower live:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGimsBVpuN8&feature=youtu.be&app=desktop

2 Likes

Relevant:

https://twitter.com/kevin_the_flag?lang=en

The fleet is leaving NOB Norfolk - saw two carriers u/w this morning. The “Helos and Hummers” (SH-60s and E-2Ds) are probably headed west by now.

1 Like

Deck furniture in the dining room.

Good luck old buddy. You’re too damn heavy to drag into the house and the garage is full.

Time to hunker down.

Edit with some US Air Force projected weather.

Here is what we discussed this morning in 3 hour increments: keep in mind these are sustained winds; the gusts can be 80+ mph.

Storm is moving at 8 mph, max winds 105 mph. Storm is anticipated to be 48 miles off coast bringing 10-15” of rain.

—————-

Wednesday
1900-33 mph
2200-35 mph

Thursday
0100-38 mph
0400-42 mph
0700-47 mph
1000-53 mph
1300-60 mph
1600-64 mph
1900-53 mph
2200-40 mph

Friday
0100-32 mph
0400-23 mph
0700-15 mph
USAF Col Norman Moore

4 Likes

@chipwich - what a nice patio you have!

Thanks piper! I pressure washed it last week and have been wondering if the original owner painted it black. It definitely has that look. My wife and I have been trying to decide what to do, paint, have it stripped or sanded. I think that we are just going to leave it as is. Nature will have its way regardless. Also need a crash course on oyster roasting :smile: Can’t be too hard.

In other news…

7 Likes

Lots of tree branches down the yard and Mother Nature still sounds po’d. But we have powah and Internet :call_me_hand:. Wind speed will increase until around 1600, then begin to taper.

We are the blue dot. Look out Wilmington!

4 Likes

On the lighter side of the hurricane news, whoever managed to time this out either deserves a reward or to be fired :smiley:

3 Likes

*beaten to the punch