Hurricane Ian Thread

Mostly making this thread to check in on our east coast members. Hope you all are managing to stay safe.

Feel free to post any hurricane related stuff.

5 Likes
1 Like

Stay safe over there!

The eye is more or less heading directly for our house. I was going to say something like, “We are so screwed.”, but realize that if we don’t like hurricanes, we shouldn’t live here :grin:

9 Likes

Keep your heads down, and I hope y’all can stay safe. You haven’t heard any reports of anybody seeing the Gray Man this week, have you?

I’m waiting to hear from my family in Florida, since the Tampa/ St. Pete area got so hammered. Cousin of mine is a firefighter for Pinellas County, so I know she’s been busy.

I woke up this morning to fast moving clouds at two different altitudes moving in two different directions, so we’re all buckled up here for what’s looking to be heavy winds and maybe rain the next 2 days.

5 Likes

Stay safe people! Weird that this is almost routine for you over there. Hope all goes well for you and your friends and family!

2 Likes

I did actually, although he was in an unusually jovial mood.

We don’t plan to bug out, but the vehicles and generator are fueled just in case. Hope that your family is OK.

6 Likes

Current track. We’ve done all the prep we can.

4 Likes

We’ll all be thinking of you guys. Stay safe and keep your families close.

Keep us updated where safe to do so and all the best

5 Likes

Lol, I see what you did there.

For the uninitiated, the Gray Man of Pawley’s Island is an old ghost story going back now 200 years.
Basically, a young man was riding from Charleston to Pawley’s Island to see his fiancee, and fell into a swampy part, where he drowned. The legend goes that his fiancee saw him a couple of days later, dressed all in gray. A couple of days later, a major hurricane swept through, devastating all the homes on Pawley’s Island except hers. Since then, the Gray Man is said to appear before any major hurricane is due to hit the Lowcountry South Carolina region; most recently he was reported to have been spotted before Hugo hit in 1989, and Florence in 2018.

Stay safe, man- we just got word that public schools are cancelled tomorrow. But, of course nothing from the universities yet. They’ll cancel tomorrow afternoon after we’ve already had a foot of rain fall.

5 Likes

Family in Largo made out ok. Spent a lot of time in Bradenton (wife’s folks lived there), nice place, but south of that is now gone. Feel sorry for the old folks that retired there.

Wonder how Magnum is doing. I believe he lives in Naples.

3 Likes

Overnight, the projected path has moved north a bit, putting us right on the edge. The problem for coastal residents, and this seems to be the way things go 9 times out of 10, is that it will make landfall about 2 hours after high tide, making a storm surge a major threat. With about 6 hours before landfall, we already have limbs down in the yard and I can hear sirens wailing in the distance. The house is four sides brick with a metal roof. But I worry about the 300 year old angel oak in the front yard.

7 Likes

My older cousins used to scare me to death talking about the gray man when I was kid at the beach. I kept a close watch but never saw him.

3 Likes

The eye passed right over my house and in fact took probably 3+ hours from when we entered till we exited.
Huge eye, slow speed.
That said, it was Cat 1/TS during that time and we were on the west/south sides of it entering/leaving which bizarrely were very dry compared to north and east. So we got less rain from this than some regular summer storms, no flooding, and only a bit of damage to the gutters. Didn’t even lose a tree this time like we did with Michael. Or was it Irma? I can’t remember.

We also lost power and even water pressure for a few hours with that one, but this one was no worse than a few flickers. Very lucky.

7 Likes

Oof, that broke my heart a little bit. Hope it’s a safe distance from the house too.

1 Like

Big tears. The Pawleys pier is gone. Some of my fondest childhood memories were made here. Good grief.

4 Likes

Oh man, I saw that too- I’ve got family out that way. Hope you all are safe and dry- looks like it’s getting hairy down there.

1 Like

Hope you are all safe, that looks mighty scary.

We were very fortunate, in that the storm took a more northernly course and made landfall about 60 miles further up the coast. Our yard is a mess, but that’s the extent of it. The beach house is another story. The problem is that there is so much debris in the road, that they won’t let us on the island for a few days to assess the damage. There is not only cleanup, but securing everything not bolted down. Most people are honest, but there are a few who would do things like tow away your floating dock at night and claim that it was found in the marsh. Anyway, I should look on the positive side in that we got off a lot easier than the west coast of Florida.

9 Likes

He must have missed your post. His last login to the site was 3 hours ago which was 1:30 Pacific Time, or about 4:30 Eastern Time.

Wheels

2 Likes