I actually got to click the BUY button on a 3090!

Thanks, @B12!
I will get one eventually. Not paying a scalper for it, though. :wink:

5 Likes

Yeahā€¦ My potato rig is slowly on itā€™s last legsā€¦ Time to find new hobbies I suppose! Flying suddenly looks affordable :wink:

3 Likes

Slight deviation from the topic, sorry. I saw this on the BBC News site today:

BBC News - Sandwell Bitcoin mine found stealing electricity

I had two reactions:

1. Bitcoin mining is now serious enough that organised crime are taking an interest, and
  2. Organised crime? More like disorganised crime looking at their (lack of) cable management!
4 Likes

Aaaand we have a winner!

Celebrate Mr Bean GIF by Working Title

I managed to buy a 3090!
Itā€™s a Inno3D with water block. I donā€™t know anything about Inno3D and that plastic water connector at the top doesnā€™t instill confidence.
Thereā€™s a two week return policy on anything bought by post order, so I can cancel this.

Talk me out of it.

So, I guess this was the moment the silicon gods were waiting forā€¦ Troll got his GPU, you can lower the prices and resume normal production again.

12 Likes

You absolute madman. Now do tell, how much did you have to fork over? :joy:

2 Likes

Iā€™m not finished shoveling gold bars yetā€¦ :wink:
Around $3400. Itā€™s a lot of money, but they are expensive over here, and extremely hard to come by. The shop got a handful of cards that were gone in a couple of minutes. I have been saving up to this too.

5 Likes

nice, congrats! I see that you are a very courage guy and not have the fear of a leak in the water cooling that will spill water on the mother board and will produce so much sparks and short circuits that will make the experience like a tiny 4 Jully party inside your pc case :smiley:

Anyway i wish you good luck and all the best and the money worth!

2 Likes

Holy cow! Good to hear you got what you wanted :+1:

From what kind of GPU are you upgrading?
Will you be able to run some sim-related benchmarks (DCS, MSFS) to show us before/after performance in VR?

Fine if not, I can understand the feeling of having to put it in asap :grinning:

2 Likes

Yeahā€¦ Thatā€™s always a possibility. But I have been watercooling for several years now.

2 Likes

I have a 1080TI and I really should do some simple VR benchmarks. Although my mobo doesnā€™t support PCIe 4, so I wonā€™t be able to use its full potential, yet. Need to look into building a new computer all toghether.

4 Likes

Good lord, thatā€™s more than my whole PC, probably more than my whole setup, including MFG Crosswinds, WH HOTAS, TIR and TM Cougar MFDs :rofl:

In any case I am still a little jealous but I will not pay these insane prices. I rather buy a nice camera lens for that kind of money.

Iā€™ll just wait. My 2070 should be able to hold out a little longer (please donā€™t die, please donā€™t die, please donā€™t die^^) :crazy_face:

4 Likes

I knowā€¦ Itā€™s not justifiable, so I wonā€™t even try. :wink:

I wouldnā€™t know what to do with a camera lensā€¦ :laughing:

3 Likes

Well there is no justification for me buying pro grade photography gear either when there is much cheaper stuff that does a decent enough job. I still do it anyway :laughing:

5 Likes

Well, looking at the pics you post, Iā€™d say thatā€™s a questionable statementā€¦ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I bet you wouldnā€™t be able to tell the difference if I just used semi pro gear that costs less than half as much as for example this lens:

Aaaaanyway, is there a badge for derailing a topic? :joy:

4 Likes

Congrats on finding one.

This is where I planned to go myself. I wonder though about getting a ā€˜normalā€™, air-cooled (Ref.Card even) and doing the water-block myself. I did this with my current card (GPU only actually) and it was only $30. So my thinking was Iā€™d save a bit over the markup from the AIB on the water cooling bits.

Yeah, not sure how much sense that makes but, current conditions shacked my budget.

3 Likes

I was going to do this myself, if I got hold of an air cooled 3090 first.
And frankly, the plastic inlet on the Inno3D card I just bought, looks fragile. Better not introduce any bending forces on those hosesā€¦

1 Like

Hmmm, you made look (diggin out the flashlight) - yup, it seems the joints on both my GPU and CPU - the ā€˜elbow-lookingā€™ bits - are plastic, where the hoses connect. Pretty hefty plastic though. Fingers crossed.

1 Like

Same boat in terms of ā€œrather shift to other hobbies than play the over-heated-market gameā€. My 7 year old CPU and 1070 are still generally getting the job done though.

2 Likes

Yeah 7 years is still okayish I suppose, I still run a i5 2500K with only an RX 580 as upgrade that I got last year.

But hey, just spend 500 euroā€™s on a new lens for my new body! :wink:

1 Like