I actually got to click the BUY button on a 3090!

I actually went ahead and pre-ordered a lens last month. I know it’s stupid, I still did it :rofl:

Expect new images of critters and other small stuff in 2-3months

5 Likes

Nice! I would think it’s going to be a long time for things to return to normal, so you’re going to get a lot of good use out of that beast. Very happy you got one, plus in time for the Hind as well!

5 Likes

Oh goody!

Happy Pumped Up GIF by Universal Pictures Home Entertainment

1 Like

Looking forward to that! Last december I picked up a Nikon D610 for cheap and now I got a nice Nikkor 28-300 for it! Lovely combo!

Thanks!
My mobo is laying flat in my SimBox, which means that the cards are upright. But I totally see your point for tower cases.

1 Like

Thanks!
Yeah, I hope so.
It’s hard to know what’s the best course of action…
I could’ve waited a few more months. Like you, I don’t think that would help. Perhaps if I waited until next year, but then I’d miss out on +6 months of joy from a faster GPU.

1 Like

RTX DLSS has made a huge difference to No Man’s Sky, Cyberpunk 2077 and Metro Exodus, plus the ray tracing looks great as well at the same time as almost doubling framerate. If you don’t play games like that then you might not be in the RTX market.

I still wouldn’t pay a scalper to get a card, even if I really wanted it badly - you just make things worse for others.

2 Likes

War Thunder uses DLSS. MSFS probably won’t as they are AMD for the Xbox port. DCS is so niche they don’t even have a Nvidia profile. RTX isn’t really for sims as they’re a rounding error.

If you run a 4K monitor and play modern titles then RTX works pretty well. Studios are only really just getting going with it. Crysis even updated (it’s old) is still CPU bound, so an outlier.

2 Likes

Me neither…
But, I still paid a premium price at a webshop. I don’t know who is taking advantage of the situation, but webshops have increased the prices too. Did they just put a higher price tag on it because they can, or do the shops pay more for them as well?
Still, looking at ebay, prices are even higher, especially when factoring in the MVA.

1 Like

Yes.

1 Like

Supply and demand

I have seen a web shop not offering the new AMD RX6800XT at launch, because they could not get them at reasonable prices and did not want to waste their reputation by selling so high above MSRP.

So that’s a strong indication to me that the supply & demand determining price is not just a mechanism at the webshop - consumer level of the market, but also in the supply chain.

1 Like

IMO that’s kind of a bad example.
Games with RTX built-in, not like in that case tacked-on, show significantly improved visuals with less fps loss resulting in acceptable (70+) fps.

“Control” is the game that tipped me over, but I think that especially flight sims with all those clouds, water, radar, light scattering, smooth metal and glass surfaces and so on will immensely profit from ray tracing.

1 Like

There’s a bit of misconception here.
PhysX is going strong - a lot of games have it as a plug in or better Middleware.
It’s a powerful set of instructions that make for absolutely mind blowing physics calculations.

What went nowhere are separated Physix cards - that I agree with you.

RTX (and actually just like you involuntarily said) will go the same way, which is strong.

RTX is literally a fast way to Ray Trace reflections, surface effects and light overall and the difference, once you find that game that break you in, is absolutely phenomenal.

So, I agree that it’ll go the same way Physix did, disagree that’s nowhere.

2 Likes

Indeed, Nvidia posted record profits so it’s quite clear that the producers are making out like thieves too. It’s the whole chain that is from what I’ve seen so far. Companies have no moral code and are not your friends an will do anything to enrich themselves.

1 Like

Sorry, but the only diference i strongly saw is that one have half of fps than the other :smiley: In my own opinion the RTX is too much overhyped, when you really play a shooter in the hot of the battle you not see any diference!

1 Like

Well YMMV of course.
To me it was (and still is) mind blowing.

I agree about combat though. In the middle of combat you will most likely not notice anything. The same holds true for almost all graphical improvements though.

1 Like

Not all companies. Some brick and mortars are not selling GPUs through their online stores, but handing out vouchers that let you purchase at MSRP. You just have to get there early to get a voucher. Probably the best course of action.

1 Like

If at all an option, where you live…

Fortunately if nobody can buy GPU’s then hopefully developers will keep targeting older hardware, what good is a fancy new game if nobody can play it!

1 Like