I bought a PS2

Do it!! Its totally worth it for the nostalgia. I am loving GT4. So many great races and cars on there. I currently own every version of the Skyline and Impreza.

The real danger of playing GT4 with me is Ebay. I forgot our accounts were linked and got a text from Wife asking why recent searches on there were skylines (100k!!! Now jesus) and Imprezas (I haven’t got the energy to do the head gaskets anymore)

…just looking wifey…just looking

2 Likes

Oh, R34 GT-R, nice! totally forgot about that car.

Talking about that now, how about Porsche… Challenge? You know what I mean. That one is far more affordable :slight_smile:

1 Like

Its all about the Japanese stuff for me. I grew up fawning over twin turbo 3000gt, 300zx, supra and the Godzilla Skyline R34 (my all-time favourite car)
Seriously if I ever won enough money to have a car collection it would be filled with 90s and early 2000’s Japanese cars. All bone stock and painted in ‘Bay side blue’
I am partial to a pick up truck though. I would have an American truck for a daily driver and towing vehicle.

Whoa…daydream mode engaged there. What were we talking about?

Ah yes… Z tune skylines.

Or was it PS2?

2 Likes

You’re such a chav lol.

2 Likes

I was just drooling over a BRZ today.

1 Like

Its worse than that bud. I’m TOO old to be a chav! I’m a post hoc wannabe chav :rofl:

3 Likes

I got some recommendations that you can find on the cheap. I mean, you can pick these up for a fiver in good condition, even.

Battle Engine Aquila - It’s a mech game with a kind of iffy aesthetic, but some pretty great ideas and mechanics.

City Crisis - Remember choplifter? It’s like that, but about heliborne firefighting, saving people, and chasing criminals. It’s hard, but the right kind of hard. The kind of hard that keeps you saying “Alright, let’s try again!”

GunGriffon Blaze - GunGriffon is another mech series, this time on the PS2 in its first outing since the SEGA Saturn entries(which are awesome). It’s a faster paced game than the previous. Like, Modern CoD levels of frantic. It’s a pretty damn good action game.

Finny the Fish - If you’re looking for an untouched platformer, look no further. It’s seriously up there with Jak and Daxter in terms of quality.

Seek and Destroy - It’s a tank action-RPG. It’s a strange one and is actually a licensed game based on the Choro-Q toyline from Japan. We know them as Penny Racers here in North America. Not the best start, but it’s worth a look. It’s a crazy fun RPG where tanks are people. Like, the tanks are the villagers. It’s a trip and it’s great.

Sky Odyssey - A no brainer.

Sub Rebellion - If you like the ACs, this is that but underwater.

1 Like

Nice one! Ill add them to my acquisition list. Thanks!

I’ll try to remember to snap some pics of my ride tomorrow, a little earlier than your preferred vintage, but still a solid Japanese import.

Also the PS2 was were I started my time in the gaming industry. When I started working at Acclaim the PS2 was the current hotness which I didn’t own (I was still on a Sega Dreamcast IIRC). My first SKU was on the PS2 (Quarterback club 2K2), and we did a lot of work on the PS2 up until the studio close down in 2004. The PS2 didn’t require special test kits, so we basically ran commercial PS2’s with the occasional out of region machine for region lock testing. I played alot of different PS2 titles on the companies machines in my break time. Some was for actual work purposes at least (seeing what the competition was doing with their stuff).

Definitely one of the most iconic and important consoles to ever be released.

1 Like

I love them all. The vintage isn’t so important as most Japanese cars are evolutions of older models anyway. Love the way you can trace back to the 50s and 60s in most model lines from the big names. Especially Nissan and mazda.

Also, since you’re in a PAL region, I’d give Energy Airforce: aimStrike! a look. We never got that stateside, so I’m eternal butthurt about that one! It looked super ambitious for a console flight sim.

3 Likes

I’ve seen @damson playing that on his YouTube channel. Looked amazing! Ill pop it on the list.

I’m bidding on a mint copy of the excellent shooter “Black” at the moment. That was a phenomenal game for its time.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, Black was sick. It was a visual treat back in the day.

1 Like

I cant wait to play that again. I remember vaguely a level where you had to cross a huge suspension bridge (I think) and I remember it being EPIC. looking forward to it. Getting quite a big list now! I shall have to invest in a box for all my classics lol :laughing:

Black has been released as EA Play title for XBOX One Game Pass (it was OG XBOX title). So if you have GamePass you own Black along with most Battlefields, Battlefronts and many more EA games.

And yeah, Energy Airforce AimStrike! is the best flight sim for PS2 and possibly any gaming console to date. Only true flight simmers can appreciate its depth.

1 Like

Bidding on a copy right now. Very cheap. If I win that and Black ill be set for a good few weeks.

1 Like

I think the developers that made that one also made Over G Fighters for the 360.

What I really liked about those years games is that they are not 40/50 hours to complete.
They catch you up real good for a week or two of relaxed gaming and you can choose to replay them or move over and cherish the fun you had.

Yes, I’m looking at you Ubisoft’s Open World games… WTF.

2 Likes

Yes they did, though OGF was dumbed down regarding gameplay - all the missions in Energy Airforce aimStrike were complete, believable and grounded in reality - you started at the apron, had to taxi to the runway, fly all the way to target area, perform your tasks, get back and land. Apparently that was too much for casual console player it seems as they went back to more Ace Combat (or first Energy Airforce for that matter - yes there were 2 games in the series on PS2) style with OGF.

2 Likes

Lots of things to do, none of them worthwhile.

1 Like