I bought a PS2

I feel shame! As the resident retro-nerd, I should have mentioned FMCB! It’s a worthwhile thing to investigate as it allows you to do all sorts of things with a PS2. It even disables the regionlock without having to hardmod the system. In fact, it installs to a memory card. Once you remove the memory card, it acts like a normal PS2. It’s compatible with most PS2 systems. The only ones it isn’t compatible with are the late model slims. You can find memory cards already loaded with FMCB for like… $8 US? I’d say it’s a worthwhile purchase. Owning the Action Replay for the SEGA Saturn is an absolute must and that’ll set you back $40 or so as it unlocks the region coding. Eight to ten bucks for a similar effect? On the monster that is the Playstation 2?! With that library?! I think I need to grab one!

Gotta do some reading, though. I’m still not 110% on it.

PAL never got Aero Elite: Combat Academy like how NTSC never got Energy Air Force. Aero Elite is kind of neat in that it has missions for the Shin Meiwa US-1A flying boat and Kawasaki C-1 transport. It proves that DCS desperately needs something to fill similar roles!

1 Like

Well me and the boy have been stuck into Lego Star Wars (cheers @keets) he is loving it. Very fun gameplay and much better than I thought it would be. Playing together on the same screen is not something I would of guessed was going to happen and its a right giggle. We’ve done about 3 hours so far and its hilarious.

Also got my copy of “black” yesterday and did the first mission. Its incredible what your mind forgets over time. I had it when I was first released and loved it. Playing it now after years of shooters is really interesting. The aiming is so slow and precise. It really wants you to slow down and take your time. Its got some awesome graphics for the PS2 and the set pieces are still genuinely impressive. I shot an RPG at a sniper in a church tower and was actually shocked when the whole thing blew up and came crashing down. Its really hard gameplay but I’ve forgotten so much that I’m enjoying going through it again. Worth every penny and it was only 220 pennies delivered to my door.

Hopefully energy airforce will come soon as I’m dead excited to try that as well. Busy busy!

I had so much fun with my kids playing that. My boy’s favourite trick was trapping me by moving, so he could then get all the coins before me. :joy:

1 Like

Obi just discovered how to use the force to build and destroy the glowing objects. Now apparently I am a BAD DADDY if I do it first. Hes struggling with the double jump a bit as well. Its like watching an elderly person double click a mouse. Click…click…
Funny as hell. He’s loving it. Great game.
Oddly the scooby doo one terrified him. The ghosts chasing you around did him in. He asks to play it then a couple of minutes later is jumping and clearly uncomfortable so we have to switch to lego. I thought it was quite good fun though. Maybe when he’s a bit older.

3 Likes

Oh my lordy!! Energy Airforce is Amazing!!! How did this slip through the net. I am loving it. Bad grammar and translation is only adding to the fun!! @damson you were spot on it is wicked fun

3 Likes

Glad you like it. AimStrike is the best flight sim for PS2. Only true fligh simmers would appreciate its authenticity in cockpits, avionics depiction and mission structure in its campaign (for a console game), maybe that was its dawnfall and Over G Fighters went back to more arcadey gameplay (though the aircraft systems remained on the same level of “complexity”).

hey @Victork2 , I am going to join you in this retro consoling :slight_smile:

We are going to have new neighbour across the street. They are finishing their new house.

At one occasion we were discussing whatnot and we came across games and consoles. He mentioned that his son is playing PS4 a lot and that he used to have PS2 back then… with a inconspicuous note about his old PS2 still laying somewhere in a carton box in his basement.
I offered him, without delay, that I will help him out by adopting that old hardware :slight_smile:

All he found yet is this black box and single controller and a cables. I will have to wait till he starts moving so he could find the other pieces like second controller and some games.
For now I can use it as DVD player I guess :slight_smile:

1 Like

Let me know if you want some games buddy and ill send them over. We could do a retro-share-swap!!

1 Like

Sure that! Will let you know once he will find something. I am not a big gamer, I will be OK with Gran Turismo and some platformers for two players :slight_smile:

But first I need to hook it up to check if it boot at least.

1 Like

Its funny. I’ve been playing gran turismo 4 a lot and compared to how I used to play it when I was a teenager, its hard as hell now! I’m 99 percent the controller doesn’t help but the racing itself it super hard. Its great fun though. I’m loving the whole experience. All my cars are there!! Its amazing.

One i am struggling with though is “Black” I played the absolute arse off that game years back and now its still a phenomenal looking game for the time but my god the controls suck. It feels like your playing underwater. Its a product of its time I suppose.

I think I’ve put at least 40 mins a day into the PS2 though since I got it. Which irks my wife a bit as she said I wouldn’t use it…ha ha

Update

I got the deal of the century on a ps3 slim and 26 games.

My metal gear solid collection is completed :ok_hand:

8 Likes

nice! was thinking along the same path. but my ps2 got very little use in the past so am afraid of the same future for ps3 :slight_smile: