I’ve bought a helmet!

Correct, 100% reflective with up to 30% color, at least when I was in. I was able to keep my helo HGU-84 and had a PR (rigger) buddy get me a jet helmet from VF-14, including masks and several visors. I had order an Army HGU-56 off ebay to keep mine. Nice start.

2 Likes

Got the helmet today!

It’s not a size L, but M. Doesn’t matter, since I’m not going to use it, other than display.

Looks to be in great condition otherwise.

It would be fun to make a Maverick helmet, but to use tape, instead of paint… Like if Mav was a real USN pilot :wink:

5 Likes

It has some suede looking stuff, glued to the back edge of the visor cover…
To protect the canopy?

I don’t think so. The visor knob sticks above it and there are height restrictions on aviators so that there is room between their head/helmet and the canopy. Maybe something to protect the back edge of the hard visor cover from getting banged around…or more likely, as I see it now, to keep the ends of the reflective tape from coming up.

Possible reasons for a Navy “Pitch” callsign

1 - Last name is “Black” (most probable)
2 - Once put in too much trim pitch, either up or down…although that probably would have gotten him “Trim”
3 - Something to do with a pitching deck
4 - Something unmentionable that happened on liberty…I have no idea what but…

2 Likes
  1. Used to play baseball?

:wink:

Thought of that…that would be “Pitcher”…which no self-respecting US Navy fighter squadron would allow as a callsign, if that were the rational, even shortened to Pitch.

No, if that were the case, he would definitely have been called “Catcher” with all the innuendo that goes along with it. For brevity’s sake they might have shortened to to “Catch”:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Possibilities are limitless and if you throw in alcohol, well…

Given the helmet generation, figure on a lot of un-PC reasons why “Pitch” was given. I can think of quite a few, the tamest was that he had a tendency to… “Complain.”

A number of years back, the Navy went through a “sweep” of callsigns to eliminate ones that were obviously offensive.

This had been completed…or so we all thought. Evidently the basic training commands were not as diligent.

Some Admiral (CNAL?) is over at NAS Oceana and give a talk to the RAG squadron, VF-101. A new guy (had just checked in that day) is in the audience. The Admiral asks for questions. The new guy stand up and properly introduces himself, “Good Morning Admiral, LTGJ Jones, Callsign Dog Balls.”…and that’s as far as he got…evidently the Flag Officer explosion was registered on Richter scales as far away as Japan. What a way to make a first impression.

6 Likes

I’m not sure what the Admiral expected. He’s dealing with pilots.

4 Likes

I saw a couple painted on canopy rails that must’ve snuck through, circa 2003.

Yes…however the Admiral was also a pilot.

More like 2008-9 timeframe

You can do much with acronyms. On STENNIS there was a female FA-18 pilot who was something like 6’2”. Callsign was “Fish”…F-word Is She Huge.

4 Likes

:rofl:

Creativity, in keeping with the highest traditions of the Naval service.

2 Likes

I have sold the helmet to a collector and bought various parts, for my HGU-33 restoration. I also got a MBU-12/P mask, from a seller in the Netherlands. It arrived today.

A USN HGU-33 should have a MBU-14/P, but AFAIK the only difference is in the comms setup.

8 Likes

You gonna hook that up to a bong? :alien: Go do some high-altitude research…

3 Likes

You noticed I bought it from the Netherlands… :wink:

6 Likes

Kind of looks like a face-hugger from Alien

3 Likes

Now I can never wear that mask again…! :fearful:

3 Likes

Aaaand I bought another one…

This time it’s a SwAF 111 helmet and a 113 mask. It’s from the early Viggen era. 70’s probably. There’s no way of telling if it was used on a 37 Viggen, 32 Lansen, 35 Draken or SK60. As the helmet is in really good condition, it’s most likely a loaner for VIP guests that got back seat rides.

12 Likes

Now get yourself either a lox vaporizer (and associated lox tank) or an oxygen concentrator, and hook that puppy up!

1 Like

Those helmets are cool. But come back when you’ve flown the Sabre, Hun, Voodoo, Phantom, and are sporting lightning bolts :grinning:

7 Likes