I’ve bought a helmet!

Very cool!
This is now a Mudspike Flight helmet thread! :slight_smile:
What type of helmet is that?

1 Like

Thanks Troll. I think that dad wore that during his time with the 77th flying the F-100D. He is far left.

Not sure if he kept it when he went to England In the Voodoo, but for sure he got a new one when he transitioned to the F-4C. That one was a completely new design and was custom fitted for each pilot. It was all white at Shaw AFB during his initial time in the Phantom, but had OD tape applied to it when he arrived in Da Nang.

9 Likes

Yeah, a different helmet in the F-101. TDY in Tripoli.

11 Likes

Was that at Wheelus AB?

Wheels

Affirmative. Their wing out of RAF Woodbridge Bentwaters was doing a squadron rotation in the early 60s. Dad said he liked the beach there, but that the accommodations were spare. Like cots in a hanger type of thing.

2 Likes

By the time ENS Hangar200 floated by with VF-32 aboard CV-67 in the winter of 86-87, the place was called Um Atiga (or something like that) and was where the Soviets deployed a couple of Tu-16 BADGERs on a regular basis.

3 Likes

Thanks, was reading the Wiki page and I noticed as Hangar200 mentioned it was occupied by the Soviets after we left. I hadn’t realized we had a presence there as long as we did.

Wheels

2 Likes

I should have mentioned his wing CO at the time, Robin Olds (81st TFW).

5 Likes

Wanna buy another helmet?

3 Likes

That is one auction I would have wanted to see…

There is a lot of cool stuff in that catalogue.

1 Like

The Helmet Tom Cruise Wore in ‘Top Gun’ Is Up for Sale

OK…cool enough…the guy who played the “Mig-28” pilot was a naval aviator named Bob “Rat” Willard. Despite getting the finger from Goose and Maverick, he went on to have quite a successful career, ending up as a four-star admiral.

In the Summer of 2009 he was the Commander of the US Pacific Fleet when I reported aboard as his N2 (Deputy Chief of Staff for Intelligence). As you do, I had an “In Call” with Admiral Willard; about 15 minute one-on-one for a chat in his office, where he got to know me, outlined his expectations…typical “dog sniff” stuff.

And there, sitting unambiguously on an end table in his office, was the Black Helmet with Red Star that he wore in the movie. :grin:

10 Likes