IL-2 1946

I’m so glad I asked in that case!! that’s the one I wanted least of all. Website it is. Thanks guys

3 Likes

judges you in Russian and gulag

1 Like

but you get some tanks free … :grin:

2 Likes

Have to agree with the sentiment. The Yak-1 and Bf-109 are a beautiful match up, an eastern version of the Battle of Britain/Spitfire vs. Bf-109. They’re a real treat.

1 Like

Not to mention the grand namesake of the series, glorious IL-2!

3 Likes

Look up my post on Shostakovich and Stalingrad. I can not sell it any better.

The chase is on.

My pursuer as viewed through my bombsight. (Lower.middle left)

(Near the small 30 on the left side.)

I was in an AR-234 bomber at 20,000 plus feet and the AI P-38 flight took off and climbed to altitude and shot me down over France.

Wheels

8 Likes

first time really getting my teeth into 1946.

its pretty good!! it also runs on the laptop I recently repaired in my spare time and gave a bit more ram to play with while I had its guts open. An I5 2430 and a 2gig graphics card is never going to cut the mustard these days but for sitting on the sofa while the wife plays on her pc and just tooling around in IL2 its bang on!!

I really enjoy this game for an oldie! its good fun and I smashed a couple of Japanese planes up with my mustang so that’s certainly an evening well spent!

6 Likes

Nice screenshots @Victork2. :sunglasses:

Wheels

1 Like

Just wait until you find out about the mod packs for it. :wink:

Even just seeing the subtitles for the radio calls I can remember exactly what they sound like all these years later.

2 Likes

We have a new recruit. IL-2 is now and forever the first simulator that Obi has tried. I’m a very pleased daddy this morning. He seemed to enjoy it as well!! Fingers crossed :crossed_fingers:

15 Likes

He looks like a natural @Victork2. :sunglasses:

Wheels

1 Like

I’m really giddy about it. I recently fixed that old laptop up as it was old and busted.
I popped a new charging port in it and got 8GB ram fitted and a new usb daughter board and it works great now. I have been using it to play ‘wargame’ and CMANO on it and only had the idea to pop IL-2 on it and hook up the track IR and give it a go. My old hotas x has been pulled out of retirement and is more than adequate for this game. I’m going to pop FSX on it as well as obi will like the missions I think…
I’m very happy
Obi seems to love it and in think I’m hovering on the point of losing my laptop to a 3 year old…

7 Likes

Came across these old videos once again. They are not mine but they are still pretty funny , to me anyway, after all these years.

Failure of the Epic Variety:

Failure of the Epic Variety 2:
https://youtu.be/MJ9jM7txEzw

Failure of the Epic Variety 3:
https://youtu.be/d8R3WTJVYOU

Wheels

3 Likes

The penalty for sitting on a carrier too long.

Wheels

4 Likes

I did something today I thought I would never do. I reinstalled 1946. A friend has an odd love for the Buffalo and created a co-op campaign that we hopefully will be able to fly together. After VR I can’t really claim that “hey, it really holds up!” It doesn’t, at least not to me. But I did fly a few flights from the wonderful MiG-3 static campaign and had a decent time. To my utter shock, Team Daedalus are still updating the sim.

Work is progressing, slowly, on v4.15m right now. If all goes well some of what will be included are Player flyable Ju-52 g4e and g5e, different Player flyable C-47 variants, and an official Channel Map.

Wheels

1 Like

This game still looks pretty decent and plays well. It’s the older 4.09m version though.

2 Likes

You are part of the team!? That’s fascinating. When Oleg “blessed” the work TD was doing it seemed to breath new life into the sim while people waited for CloD to sort itself out. I remember at the time how impressive each update was, particularly the AI behavior and the new Pe-2 cockpit and crew positions. That’s how I remember it anyway. Any idea why Steam hasn’t updated to 4.14?

Until just recently I did not think that anything could top a IL2’46 Dogfight. Setting up a 8 vs 8 DF or Bomber intercept was a way for me to enjoy the weekends. In some ways, offline fights in IL2 are just unbeatable. The Ai Rocks!
I gave up IL2 because it was addictive and I really wanted to learn systems and navigation in DCS. IL2 BoX to me just dont have the same alure that the old IL2 has. This is due to the QMB. The Ai would have you working so hard for a kill in the old game.