IL-2 Great Battles Updates (2022)

Oh, no doubt. DCS looks better, feels better, and clickable cockpits is a must for me.

IL2 might have more visually-appealing damage models at this time, but the explosions and fire effects when you score a hit on another aircraft are way cooler in DCS. It just sure runs like crud sometimes.

The Normandy map looks as good as DCS Channel, IMO. I’ve only flown around it for a day though, so YMMV. And having huge missions with lots of aircraft and no penalties on performance is cool.

I’m a little torn on the AI, it seems to me that the DCS WWII dogfight AI has been much improved this year, and is a challenging opponent without becoming a magic-carpet flown by Jedi. That said, outside of a dogfighting opponent, the IL2 AI seems like it makes better decisions about when to attack and when to run.

1 Like

I just tried the IL-2 Normandy map and you are absolutely correct! It runs just as great as the others…

Now give me my C-47 and let me drop paratroopers in the middle of the night! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Robin Tokolander has a pretty nice look at Normandy and the Arado.

I think that if I had a really obscene amount of fun money that the Ar234 would be one of the coolest warbirds to recreate ever.

Smithsonian A&S Dulles

3 Likes

I just had a quick fly around. Man do I feel like a spoilt child now. There’s so much stuff there. And it’s all so good.

The Arado … eh, not my thing. Interesting pit tho! I love the Mozzie, even though the seat position is off, which is annoying. Like I’m in Bert the navigator’s lap with one buttock. That poor chap. Ever notice how utterly awkward he’s sitting? One good reason not to do fighter things with the wooden wonder :rofl:

I must admit, the most fun flight I had this sesh was murdering a couple albatrosses with a camel. I oughta find out how to get that going for Fight Club sometimes.

4 Likes

I would of course be up for any of that :small_airplane:

All of the vr seat positions in IL2 are awful. And unfortunately the only way to fix it is to set a new saved position for each aircraft. Luckily there’s a hot key for that, but it does make it awkward.

2 Likes

Nah, not that bad. I found only the mozzie and the camel had awkward VR head positions, the others I just tried (spit, 'phoon, arado) were fine dandy.

On mine it wasn’t noticeable until I checked six and realized my head was embedded in the rear armored headrest on a lot of them.

The Mossie is definitely the worst. It’s like you’re a little too close with your BN, and everybody else in the squadron avoids you both.

1 Like

I’m having trouble assigning key binds, after this update…
When I click the command with the mouse, the text ”null” comes up before I even get a chance to press the button I want to use for that command. Maybe I need to delete my old commands file…?

+1

1 Like

oops, wrong forum :slight_smile:

Been some time since dad played. Took about 90 minutes to update his game.

Wheels

3 Likes

Yeah that’s why I bit the bullet during a sale a couple of years ago and bought BoS a 2nd time on Steam for $17.
By linking accounts I then had everything there instead. I still buy everything from their site direct (with the exception I think of one collector plane I bought on Steam a year or so later) but as unlike DCS everyone has everything in their install and your login merely unlocks what you have access to use I can rely on Steam for updating which is a lot faster than their client.

4 Likes

Big sale going on…

This is just a link to one of the products.
Once in, on the top right hand side there’s a list of all the available products.

Juicy…

5 Likes

I might get the tank module as its all i need to complete the set. I dont know how much use it will get though. Anypne play it much ?

1 Like

I bought it today because I’m trying to get more involved in the online scene and the group I’m flying with at the moment (the Unprofessionals) were thinking about doing a Tank Crew evening in a couple of weeks. So at least one group is thinking about it?

It looks pretty cool just messing around in it a bit, I’d probably just mouse-and-keyboard it rather than sitting in the sim chair for it though (my office chair spins around which makes it easier to look around too).

Running a search for Tank Crew brings up several results.
https://forums.mudspike.com/search?q=tank%20crew

I have been Playing Tank Crew since it was first released and I have gotten as much if not more enjoyment from running around in the tanks. I still agree with this assessment of mine I made in November 2020.

This thread has some nice screenshots and a few videos in it.

Wheels

2 Likes

I can totally agree with @wheelsup_cavu tanks in il2 are amazing especially if you play il2 in VR, moving your head around inside the commanders Coppola to look out the vision blocks, really gives you a taste of how blind they were

3 Likes

Regarding “Tank Crew,” is there any support for using Joystick moving turret around and aiming gun or does one still only have the option of using the mouse?

you can bind all controls same as with the standard aircraft in il2… hang on my addled old brain has just questioned that statement … checking it now

Edit … after checking yes you can map the turret to a joystick

1 Like